SR5 finally broke! need guidance please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron Patterson

Cameron Patterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

Alright, well i will start by saying that i've had this specific kwa for about a few years now and she has always treated me right. finally the piston broke after i dont know how many rounds ive put through her but now that i have a chance( more or less a reason) to open her up. my goal is to make a efficient rifle at around 300-330fps and 25-30 rps with quick trigger response. I would like some guidance on achieving my goal doing so by some of the kwa community. my field is cqb (350), so fps is not my main priority. my first question is if buying another kwa piston is the correct choice of doing this and what other modifications such as adding a mosfet, short stroking, sorbo pad ect would be necessary to achieve these goals. one underlying reason is that alot of players in my area are switching to P* and i would like to believe that us aeg'ers still have a chance haha! all in all i just want a smoother more efficient cqb rifle i know kwa can be. have little tech experience but comfortable with small mechanics have worked on small gearbox problems before, never built up on one though. thank you for reading.
-cam

#2 iWar

iWar

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Racing at the track, Music, Airsoft, playing sports, and anything that is fun...

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I'd go with the KWA piston and a Lonex A1 motor and you'll be right about 30 RPS with an 11.1 lipo... The problem is your gun will over cycle on semi so you'll end up with 2 shoots for every pull of the trigger... The way to combat this is with a mosfet with active braking (AB) or a stiffer spring... The spring will not help you as it will put you over your target FPS goal... So youll need a mosfet with AB... You also want to fix your AOE and add a new danco #14 O-ring (stretched out) while your in there... I'd even throw in a new cylinder head while your there as well as that is a common wear item... Thats what I would do... Some people are against AB its a matter of opinion... I've been using it for years with out issue, and the Lonex can handle it with ease...

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

High cyclic rate requires high voltage.  11.1v LiPO will be mandatory.

You can buy a complete, new gearbox with the cylinder and spring to your specs right out of the Pro Shop for a bit over $100.  You can then use your old box as your "play with the mechanicals" box and not risk having your gun out of service when you need it.  But, really, after all this time and rounds down range why not just get a new CQB-type gun and have the whole old gun to take apart, etc.

-- Chuck

#4 Cameron Patterson

Cameron Patterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have a cqr but the lower broke so I have swapped the broken SR gear box in the metal body with the cqr gb. I would just like to further performance. Have lipo and was shooting about 23 rps at 330. I guess I'm going to get a new kwa piston and go from there. I really do need a MOSFET already though.

#5 hellcat

hellcat

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Football, Nascar, Guns, cars/trucks, and of women in yoga pants!!

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostiWar, on 26 March 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

I'd go with the KWA piston and a Lonex A1 motor and you'll be right about 30 RPS with an 11.1 lipo... The problem is your gun will over cycle on semi so you'll end up with 2 shoots for every pull of the trigger... The way to combat this is with a mosfet with active braking (AB) or a stiffer spring... The spring will not help you as it will put you over your target FPS goal... So youll need a mosfet with AB... You also want to fix your AOE and add a new danco #14 O-ring (stretched out) while your in there... I'd even throw in a new cylinder head while your there as well as that is a common wear item... Thats what I would do... Some people are against AB its a matter of opinion... I've been using it for years with out issue, and the Lonex can handle it with ease...

This just about what I did to my SR-7....I just stayed with stock motor.....my CQB field is Semi only 90% of the time.

#6 Cameron Patterson

Cameron Patterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Just ordered a new 2gx bucking and new piston, has abyone ever tryied a BTC mosfet in a kwa? Just a question. Also what is a good brand of mosfet that has AB thanks for these results I'm really glad I came here for information.

#7 iWar

iWar

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Racing at the track, Music, Airsoft, playing sports, and anything that is fun...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

I run the AWS Raptor which you can no longer buy... But seems to be the same as a BTC... Actually the BTC is probably better... Some actually think they are made by the same guy just under a new name... I'm not sure but both are nice...

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

I've installed 2 or 3 Raptors in the SR7 with outstanding results.  The Raptor is no longer available but the new Spectre,

see here: http://www.btcairsoft.com/spectre_v2gb

is an absolutely brilliant FET.  It is easier than the Raptor to install, and while I have only installed it in a VFC SCAR (I did it for a friend, don't hate me!) it performed flawlessly.  I can only imagine it would be every bit as good in a KWA.  Note: they only come rear wired so in the SR series the would be fine.

#9 Cameron Patterson

Cameron Patterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Sounds great dude! I shot a gun with a BTC at my local feild with a g&p motor(can't remember color) and it felt like a gas gun the trigger response was great. Thanks for the input when I get my stuff I will be adjusting aoe for the first time any tips? I watched a video but what is a good material to space it correctly?

#10 iWar

iWar

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostCameron Patterson, on 27 March 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Sounds great dude! I shot a gun with a BTC at my local feild with a g&p motor(can't remember color) and it felt like a gas gun the trigger response was great. Thanks for the input when I get my stuff I will be adjusting aoe for the first time any tips? I watched a video but what is a good material to space it correctly?

I like to use the sorbo pad from an old cylinder head... That always seems to be just right for me... If you don't have an old one just buy a few diffrent sizes of sorbo... They are pretty cheap, about $3 or $4 each... Just watch a video and go slow... The hardest part is shaving the teeth off the piston... I use a dremel but for your first time just use a file so you don't take off to much... It will take a little longer but it will be right... 2nd tooth completely removed and half of the 3rd tooth... Thats it, pretty simple mod should take no longer then 10 min max... I use super glue for the sorbo pad...

#11 Cameron Patterson

Cameron Patterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thanks man I live in SoCal so my parts should be here tomorrow thanks for the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users