Long and Short Magazines: Difference in Performance?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I would like to know if there is any difference in performance (FPS, primarily) between the KWA short and long magazines. The reason I ask is because I have a short Tokyo Marui Magazine which I have been using in my KWA MP7, but it fires at a slightly lower velocity than my long mags. Due to the difference in velocity, the hop-up setting that works well for my long magazines is too aggressive for my short Tokyo Marui mag, making it useless to use in conjunction.

Now, a part on my short Tokyo Marui mag recently broke, so I have two options: I can either repair it, or buy a new long magazine. I'm not interested in repairing it or buying replacement KWA short magazine unless it performs consistently with the long magazines. So, my question is, if I buy replacement KWA inlet and release valves (the inlet valve being the piece that is broken, and the release valve I'm assuming to be responsible for lower FPS on the Tokyo Marui version), will the replaced KWA release valve fix my FPS problem, or does the KWA short magazine also perform at a slightly lower velocity than the long magazines due to the nature of the magazine's smaller gas reservoir?

If anyone can, or has already, chrono results of a KWA short magazine versus a KWA long magazine, that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Edited by Hibiki, 03 February 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#2 Larry

Larry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Bigger mags hold more gas.

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

... and more BBs.  But propane is a liquid so the pressure should be the same in either magazine.

But comparing a TM to KWA magazine may not be accurate unless the valves, seals, etc. are identical.

-- Chuck

#4 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Right. I'd just like to confirm that KWA long and short mags perform the same, as I have heard someone else mention that the short mags perform at a lower velocity - but it wasn't clear if they were refering to KWA, KSC, or TM mags.

As far as I can tell, the TM mag is identical to my KWA mags. The only difference, I suspect, is the outflow valve, which may be responsible for the lower velocity. But, I'd like to confirm that this is infact a TM vs KWA issue, and not a short mag vs long mag phenomenon.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

I don't notice any difference in my two long and one short magazine.  But I've not chronographed them separately.

-- Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users