Madbull Daniel Defense 9.5" MK18 RISII is slightly slanted down.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kilo_g

kilo_g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hi all,

I recently had the pleasure of purchasing a used KWA LM4 PTR. Having owned many KWA products in the past, I was ecstatic to add this one to my collection. The PTR came with a Madbull Daniel Defense 9.5" rail - I believe it is the MK18 one.

After playing around with the PTR for a couple hours, I noticed a slight slant in the rail. I went post-diving and discovered that the top part of the rail system (where the flat-tops meet) needed to be filed down to fit. For anyone interested, you need to take off about 0.3-0.5 mm from it. Now the MK18 rails have no problems in terms of rubbing on the upper receiver, but the slant remains.

Looking at the rail from the front of the PTR, I notice that the barrel is higher in the circular opening than it should be. This used to be because of the upper rail portion of the DD system, but now I think it is originating at the end plate that is fastened by the barrel nut.

I will acknowledge that because my armorer's wrench hasn't arrived yet, I was unable to tighten the barrel nut beyond the torque that my hands could manage.

I guess my question is : Could a rail "droop" (if you will) if the barrel nut is not completely tightened? Should I be worried?

I'm really looking forward to decking this PTR out with parts but am afraid to purchase any until I can resolve this rail alignment issue. Thank you and have a wonderful 2014.

#2 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Buy 6 small washers, paint them Rustoleum earth brown and place them between the rail and the mounting bracket at the bolt openings. That way you're not modifying the rail and have a very tight and secure fit at the mounting points.

Here's a pic of my gun, unfortunately not the most zoomed in picture shot but the washers are barely noticeable in person. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it.

Posted Image

Edited by akiraspeedstar, 08 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#3 kilo_g

kilo_g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

Hm, that's not a bad idea. I actually didn't mind modifying the rail too much, none of the filed down part is exposed after the rail is fitted. After having the barrel nut tightened with a wrench and playing with the screws a little bit, I was able to get everything squared away. Will do that on my next LM4, though I probably won't get the 9.5" next time around.

On a side note, what suppressor is that?

#4 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Big Dragon with a custom burn job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users