Jump to content


What it means to run a 11.1 lipo


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cellistle

cellistle

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Country:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I own a sr10 and was wondering what it actually means to run an 11.1 lipo. Currently i'm running a 9.6v 1600 mah tenergy nun-chuck battery and getting an okay rof but I wish to increase it to around 25bps. So naturally my first instinct is to plug in a 11.1 lipo. Before doing this what do I need to know about lipos and running them in a gun? I intend to install a mosfet (no idea which one to choose)

Is there anything else I need to know alter to have it truly lipo ready?
What do I need to know about safely operating a 11.1 lipo battery?
I'll see on alot of forums its advice against running them cause they'll ruin the gearbox, ect. What are the repercussions of using a 11.1 lipo?

Thank you very much

#2 Chuck S

Chuck S

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Country:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

Just plug it in.  The 1400mAh 15C battery works well and produces a cyclic rate over 1400rpm in my KM4.

You need a LiPO charger as well as battery so the expense is not just the battery.

Lots of threads on this, the search function is your friend.  :)

-- Chuck

#3 kwaispro727

kwaispro727

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Fishing, swimming, airsoft, real firearms, cars
  • Country:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Your KWA is perfectly capable of running a LiPO with or without the mosfet, but by all means, put the mosfet in if you are comfortable with doing it.  The only thing to worry about with LiPOs is the number of amps it's putting out.  I believe the max in spec battery recommended by KWA is 26 or 28.  The way you figure this out is by multiplying the mAh of your battery by the C rating and dividing by 1000.

#4 Chuck S

Chuck S

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Country:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Using a 1400mAh 15C battery to drive the gun I measured the amperage draw:

KM4-CQB at 13.5 amps on AUTO;

RM4 was 9.5 amps.  

Surprised me since the RM4 is pushing a heavier spring and all that "recoil" stuff.

Next time I do this I'll try to remember to measure the voltage drop when drawing those amps.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 07 January 2014 - 04:06 AM.


#5 iwamofo

iwamofo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York
  • Country:

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

Does a mosfet allow the C rating to be increased? I will install a gate nanoab 3/4 mosfet in my sr10 but I'm just wondering if that would allow me to use more powerful batteries.

#6 Larry

Larry

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta
  • Country:

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

1st, no. The battery spec is what it is, listed on outside . 2nd you can use as big a battery as your internals will hold or not  (key internals) with or without the mosfet. The  mosfet will  extend your trigger life and deliver more of the rated battery power to the motor by bypassing the trigger contacts. Most guns can not deal with high amp (large mah/high c rating/high voltage)  batteries, with stock internals. Choose wisely, ha. Did install a gate 3/4 in my CA build and so far very happy with it, faster ROF and trigger response. You will like it. I run a big 7.4 (2200mah/20c). Get you some deans soldered in. Chucks 11.1 15c listed a few posts before this looks like a good one to try.

Edited by Larry, 19 January 2014 - 01:30 PM.


#7 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

View Postiwamofo, on 19 January 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Does a mosfet allow the C rating to be increased? I will install a gate nanoab 3/4 mosfet in my sr10 but I'm just wondering if that would allow me to use more powerful batteries.
If you mean, can you run a higher "C" rating with a MOSFET then yes you absolutly can especailly if it is an AB FET.

#8 iwamofo

iwamofo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York
  • Country:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostLarry, on 19 January 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

1st, no. The battery spec is what it is, listed on outside . 2nd you can use as big a battery as your internals will hold or not  (key internals) with or without the mosfet. The  mosfet will  extend your trigger life and deliver more of the rated battery power to the motor by bypassing the trigger contacts. Most guns can not deal with high amp (large mah/high c rating/high voltage)  batteries, with stock internals. Choose wisely, ha. Did install a gate 3/4 in my CA build and so far very happy with it, faster ROF and trigger response. You will like it. I run a big 7.4 (2200mah/20c). Get you some deans soldered in. Chucks 11.1 15c listed a few posts before this looks like a good one to try.

I should have worded my question a little better.  What I am asking is when I install my mosfet, does it allow me to run batteries with a higher C.  And I already have deans connectors installed in my gun.

#9 iwamofo

iwamofo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York
  • Country:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

View Postgcw360, on 19 January 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

If you mean, can you run a higher "C" rating with a MOSFET then yes you absolutly can especailly if it is an AB FET.
Okay thanks, that is exactly what I was wondering.  Finding a 15c lipo really restricted the choices of lipos i could run, so with the mosfet, it should allow me to find a wider range of lipos.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users