Jump to content


Modification to my hop up

hopup modification

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Hammil

Jesse Hammil

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,

I had a short conversation with gcw360 about upgrades for my RIS. In that conversation I said the fins from my bucking were crooked. He suggested placing a wire in the nub to make it stiffer. I made this modification and it seems to have fantastic results. I think I need to to a little better of a job on it as the hopup does not retract all the way out of the barrel now.  Anyways, I measured 110ft and hit my target every shot with .2s ( i ran out of .25s). I'm going to get some .25s and test. I think it will be pretty awesome.  So to gxw and the community, thanks for being here and helping us noobs!

On a side note, the last time I had my gun chronoed it was low around 360.  It seems like my bbs are going faster now.  The only way I can tell is the time it takes to hit the target i have set up seems shorter. Is it reasonable to think that crooked fins can negatively affect fps?

Thanks again,
Jesse

#2 tales

tales

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn NY
  • Interests:Fishing, RC cars, Building Motion Picture sets
  • Country:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

So did the wire straighten out the "fins"? I noticed even when the bucking is in the barrel slot it can twist, i turn it while in the hop up until there centered. 360fps with .25 is about right for a stock RIS.

the community has a lot of good techs, real good - van, chuck, niko & some others have great helpful posts. But, gcw is a huge asset to this board. I don't know where to start, how much he helped me, and others. We are very lucky to have him!! :thumbsup:

#3 vanevery

vanevery

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostJesse Hammil, on 23 December 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Hi all,

I had a short conversation with gcw360 about upgrades for my RIS. In that conversation I said the fins from my bucking were crooked. He suggested placing a wire in the nub to make it stiffer. I made this modification and it seems to have fantastic results. I think I need to to a little better of a job on it as the hopup does not retract all the way out of the barrel now.  Anyways, I measured 110ft and hit my target every shot with .2s ( i ran out of .25s). I'm going to get some .25s and test. I think it will be pretty awesome.  So to gxw and the community, thanks for being here and helping us noobs!

On a side note, the last time I had my gun chronoed it was low around 360.  It seems like my bbs are going faster now.  The only way I can tell is the time it takes to hit the target i have set up seems shorter. Is it reasonable to think that crooked fins can negatively affect fps?

Thanks again,
Jesse
When you removed the Inner Barrel in order to access your Nub, did you dis-assemble the Hop-up Unit, or just shake the Nub out of the Hop-up Unit after removing the Inner Barrel and then re-install?

Edited by vanevery, 23 December 2013 - 04:30 PM.


#4 Jesse Hammil

Jesse Hammil

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Posttales, on 23 December 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

So did the wire straighten out the "fins"? I noticed even when the bucking is in the barrel slot it can twist, i turn it while in the hop up until there centered.

Yeah, it did. Or taking it apart and getting it back together did it. Maybe i just did a better job putting it in this time :)


View Postvanevery, on 23 December 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

When you removed the inner barrelWWhen you removed the Inner Barrel in order to access your Nub, did you dis-assemble the Hop-up Unit, or just shake the Nub out of the Hop-up Unit after removing the Inner Barrel and then re-install?

When you removed the Inner Barrel in order to access your Nub, did you dis-assemble the Hop-up Unit, or just shake the Nub out of the Hop-up Unit after removing the Inner Barrel and then re-install?

I took the hop up unit completely apart.

#5 tales

tales

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn NY
  • Interests:Fishing, RC cars, Building Motion Picture sets
  • Country:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sometimes that nub is wide, i take a little off the end, so it doesn't jam goes up & down freely.

Did you change the barrel?

#6 vanevery

vanevery

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I do suggest following Tales advice and trimming the width of the Nub by a hair. Also make sure the Bucking is seated fully forward and that the barrel window and Hop-up Unit window are aligned. Here is a tip: being that the Inner Barrel sticks out a little bit in the Flash Hider, you can actually press down on it to ensure the Inner Barrel and Bucking seal all the way forward. It is also easy for things to get misaligned when inserting the Inner Barrel as the Hop-up Unit sometimes snags on the Charging Handle or Bolt Cover.

#7 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,717 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostJesse Hammil, on 23 December 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Yeah, it did. Or taking it apart and getting it back together did it. Maybe i just did a better job putting it in this time :)




I took the hop up unit completely apart.
I'm sure it's the reassembly that straightened the nub and thus aligned and evened out the bucking's engagement. The wire only stiffens the nub.  The suggestion of trimming the nub to slightly shorten it can be a huge improvement if the nub is too long.  Measuring the nub vs the width of the barrel window can determine if you need to shave it down.

View Posttales, on 23 December 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

So did the wire straighten out the "fins"? I noticed even when the bucking is in the barrel slot it can twist, i turn it while in the hop up until there centered. 360fps with .25 is about right for a stock RIS.

the community has a lot of good techs, real good - van, chuck, niko & some others have great helpful posts. But, gcw is a huge asset to this board. I don't know where to start, how much he helped me, and others. We are very lucky to have him!! :thumbsup:
You are too kind, thank you.

#8 Jesse Hammil

Jesse Hammil

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

When measuring the nub vs the barrel window are you talking in the actual barrel? It seems like the window is much bigger than the nub... I might be wrong, i have not measured it yet. Is the nub supposed to be the same size as the window in the barrel?

Edited by Jesse Hammil, 24 December 2013 - 11:14 AM.


#9 tales

tales

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn NY
  • Interests:Fishing, RC cars, Building Motion Picture sets
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

In the hop-up
Posted Image

It gets tight down there.
Posted Image

#10 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,717 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostJesse Hammil, on 24 December 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

When measuring the nub vs the barrel window are you talking in the actual barrel? It seems like the window is much bigger than the nub... I might be wrong, i have not measured it yet. Is the nub supposed to be the same size as the window in the barrel?
The nub needs to fit not only through the barrel cut out but the window in the hop-up.  If it does that, and most time it does, then you are fine.

#11 Jesse Hammil

Jesse Hammil

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

So it should fall though when the barrel is not in the hop up? If that's the case it does need to be trimmed down a tad.

#12 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,717 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostJesse Hammil, on 24 December 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

So it should fall though when the barrel is not in the hop up? If that's the case it does need to be trimmed down a tad.
Sounds like all is fine to me!

#13 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

    What's a Warranty?

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Also have to remember that nubs can sometimes swell too.  So take Tales advice and trim the length of the nub with a razor blade.  The nub must be able to move freely through the hop up unit window when engaged.

#14 Jesse Hammil

Jesse Hammil

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks guys. It does hang up a little I'll inspect it closer. I think the wire might just be a smidge too long.


Thanks!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users