#1 bentwings

bentwings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi
I'm new to Airsoft as well as KWA.

I just got a new ATP GBB pistol.  I didn't really know what to expect except that it really simulates the Glock 17.  Maybe just a little bit lighter weight but not much.  My main purpose is self defense training for both my wife and me. As well as CCW training.

My first experience with it was getting the slide stuck after disassembly....field strip.  A call to KWA got me to tech support and very helpfull and patient person.  He directed me while I got the gun unstuck and reassembled.  The recoil spring and guide rod had slipped out of position on assembly.  A little twisting and wiggling fixed it.  Thanks tech support.  They rank at the top of my tech support list for all things.

Shooting:  being an engineer by trade i ask lots of questions and like to look at data.  So first I tried a bench rest at 6 yds just to make sure I could at least hit the target.  This got a group of 21 shots all in less than 2 inches.  I thought was pretty good for a "BB" gun.  None of my old Daisys could come this close.

Then I set up a banker box with a large beach towel folded inside and made a pile of targets out of grid paper.  (engineers live by this stuff)  I wanted to see how many mags i could shoot per fill as well as overall accuracy.  I've not shot any pistol for over 30 years and then only a few test shots.  I have shot large magnum rifle and done a lot of long range target shooting as well as active hunting many years ago so I'm not a newbe to target shooting.

Anyway I was truely surprised at the overall accuracy. I set the target up a exactly 10 yds by tape measure.   I shot ten mags of 20-21 shots each at separate targets.   The average from best to worst was about 4 1/2" for all shots.  There were no flyers even when the mag ran out of gas.  It just stopped firing.  I shot most using 2 hands as taught at the real steel range however I also tried single hand both left and right hand and one set "double tap"  this was the worst group.  Most of the shots fell into the 3 inch groups.  I didn't waste any time with the whole test being done in an hour.  I made no attempt at hop up either.  The shot groups were about 1 1/2 inches to the right and about the same low.  I used position 2 sighting. Top of the front sight flush with the top of the rear sight, this line thru the center of the bull.  I did notice that my rear sight is slightly offset to the right side of the slide so the next test I'll move it just a little to fix this hopefull to better center the group.

It was 72 deg in the house.  I shot 7 full mags and about 1/2 of the 8th on the first fill.  Very surprising considering I was told to expect about 2 mags per fill.

I think there is even better accuracy once I get accustomed to firing the pistol.

This gun is just fun to shoot.  I maybe should have purchased the full auto version but as i said, I'm maily interested in training and not games as I'm really too old to do this. 71 and counting.  I still play real baseball (2nd base) but it gets harder every year and injuries are more telling and painfull.

It certainly is a lot cheaper to shoot than the Glock 17. haha

Sorry for the long post.  I'll put some more info up as i progress and some pictures.

Edited by bentwings, 29 November 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postbentwings, on 29 November 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Hi
I'm new to Airsoft as well as KWA.

I just got a new ATP GBB pistol.  I didn't really know what to expect except that it really simulates the Glock 17.  Maybe just a little bit lighter weight but not much.  My main purpose is self defense training for both my wife and me. As well as CCW training.

My first experience with it was getting the slide stuck after disassembly....field strip.  A call to KWA got me to tech support and very helpfull and patient person.  He directed me while I got the gun unstuck and reassembled.  The recoil spring and guide rod had slipped out of position on assembly.  A little twisting and wiggling fixed it.  Thanks tech support.  They rank at the top of my tech support list for all things.

Shooting:  being an engineer by trade i ask lots of questions and like to look at data.  So first I tried a bench rest at 6 yds just to make sure I could at least hit the target.  This got a group of 21 shots all in less than 2 inches.  I thought was pretty good for a "BB" gun.  None of my old Daisys could come this close.

Then I set up a banker box with a large beach towel folded inside and made a pile of targets out of grid paper.  (engineers live by this stuff)  I wanted to see how many mags i could shoot per fill as well as overall accuracy.  I've not shot any pistol for over 30 years and then only a few test shots.  I have shot large magnum rifle and done a lot of long range target shooting as well as active hunting many years ago so I'm not a newbe to target shooting.

Anyway I was truely surprised at the overall accuracy. I set the target up a exactly 10 yds by tape measure.   I shot ten mags of 20-21 shots each at separate targets.   The average from best to worst was about 4 1/2" for all shots.  There were no flyers even when the mag ran out of gas.  It just stopped firing.  I shot most using 2 hands as taught at the real steel range however I also tried single hand both left and right hand and one set "double tap"  this was the worst group.  Most of the shots fell into the 3 inch groups.  I didn't waste any time with the whole test being done in an hour.  I made no attempt at hop up either.  The shot groups were about 1 1/2 inches to the right and about the same low.  I used position 2 sighting. Top of the front sight flush with the top of the rear sight, this line thru the center of the bull.  I did notice that my rear sight is slightly offset to the right side of the slide so the next test I'll move it just a little to fix this hopefull to better center the group.

It was 72 deg in the house.  I shot 7 full mags and about 1/2 of the 8th on the first fill.  Very surprising considering I was told to expect about 2 mags per fill.

I think there is even better accuracy once I get accustomed to firing the pistol.

This gun is just fun to shoot.  I maybe should have purchased the full auto version but as i said, I'm maily interested in training and not games as I'm really too old to do this. 71 and counting.  I still play real baseball (2nd base) but it gets harder every year and injuries are more telling and painfull.

It certainly is a lot cheaper to shoot than the Glock 17. haha

Sorry for the long post.  I'll put some more info up as i progress and some pictures.
Hi Bentwings - Welcome to the KWA Forums and thank you for your post.  I'm sure members will find it informative.

#3 bentwings

bentwings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Well back again.

This time I shot 20 mags. Over 400 shots.  Still inside but the temp was down to 60 deg or so.  The best gas use I got was 4 mags before fill with most showing loss of pressure at the end of 3 mags.  So it looks like you should re-gas after 2 mags to be safe.  It seems that if you got right to the end the last 4 shots or so are likely to be flyers usually low.  My green gas can is about 1/2 used so there must be some pressure drop from it.

This event I was trying to get the groups closer to the center of the bull.  The very first target was with a soft rest.  This one I got all 21 inside the 2" bull.  1 3/4" will actually cover them.  I used position 3 for POA  and all of this test.  Center line of the target thru the 3 dots.  My home made targets are such that the bull is just blanked out by the front dot.  I think I lose a little accuracy with this however as there is some "play" in sighting.  It's just amazing that the gun is this accurate.  I was looking forward to a good day but.....

Now the fun part.  It was a bad day for me as I probably could have shot better with a slingshot or at least a pea shooter. haha  The very best group was 4 1/2" although all the groups were well centered on the bull.  Most shots were within about 6 inches but I had 4 that missed the 8 1/2 x 11 page completely and put nice little dents in the metal door after going thru the bottom of the cardboard box.  I was obviously jerking the trigger and rushing the shots.  

I also noticed that my vision is killing my accuracy.  My glasses allow very good vision while driving but the gun sights are slightly blurred as they are out of depth of field.  Without my glasses I can see the sights clearly but the target is blurred.  I think I was just very tired as I had been working welding and reading at home before shooting.  A lesson to me.  I'm surprised that I didn't notice this the first time.  What ever it was this was not my good day.   I had days like this with the big magnum too but not this bad.  If I had to confront a bad guy I would have been better off with football tactics than hand gun.  haha  

I had better shoot the Glock better this week end or I won't pass the CCW test.

Anyway the ATP is fun to shoot and it sure can point out your shooting habits without spending a lot.  It's great for practice.  It would be nice to kick a little harder and be just a couple ounces heavier.  I did look at maybe adding a couple ounce to the Weaver mount but it looks like a lot of work for little gain.

I'll shoot a few more times before I get into defensive things.  I'll have to make a bigger target for the "miss's".  I really want to get used to shooting this first before i complicate things.

#4 bentwings

bentwings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

I forgot to add the part about the speedloader.  The one supplied with the ATP is worthless maybe even less than that.  It now resides in the bottom of the box.

I bought a universal speedloader at the airsoft store.  This miserable device is almost more trouble than it is worth.  It has both a straight out the bottom port that is very difficult to get bb's to feed into the mag.  It's hard to get lined up. Most ended up on the towel on the table.  I added the supplied right angle attachment which has a little finger to help guide bb's into the mag.   yeah right.  It works perfect for directing bb's all over your lap and on the floor.  I tried to add patience but I finally settled on the fact that it can only load bb's about twice a fast as i can from a bowl one by one.  It would load about 8 or so that lined up straight in the mag then you have to stick a pen in the slot and carefully tweek the row so they stagger.  If you tip the half full mag and let the bb's roll to the outlet then most get all back to a straight line.  Once you get everything lined up again the loader gets stuck and nothing comes out.

Hopefully there is something better than this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users