22 replies to this topic

#1 Oliver Santos

Oliver Santos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hi,

I just got the new atp auto, but i realize that it came with the magazine catch problem,  how can i fix it? This pistol is just two month old, i just ordered it from ebay.

Reading the manual i know that the part #11 can maybe fix the problem, but i want to know that if there's any other o should order too.

Thanks

Oliver Santos.

#2 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

What issues are you experiencing?  Is the magazine not staying locked in the magwell?

#3 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm having an issue with my mag release too. with my atp non auto the mag won't lock into place and upon firing gas spews everywhere and the mag comes loose to where I can pull it out with my hand, or if I'm lucky I'll get 1 or 2 good shots in, and then the mag will fall out. i've found if I ram the mag in it works longer but I don't fancy that since I feel like its going to break something.  It's very frustrating seeing a pistol that shoots like a dream have problems so soon and it's really taking a hit with my kwa trust relationship being that my pistol is only 2 months old.

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

View Postknoxwell, on 05 October 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'm having an issue with my mag release too. with my atp non auto the mag won't lock into place and upon firing gas spews everywhere and the mag comes loose to where I can pull it out with my hand, or if I'm lucky I'll get 1 or 2 good shots in, and then the mag will fall out. i've found if I ram the mag in it works longer but I don't fancy that since I feel like its going to break something.  It's very frustrating seeing a pistol that shoots like a dream have problems so soon and it's really taking a hit with my kwa trust relationship being that my pistol is only 2 months old.
Hi Knoxwell -Welcome to the KWA Forums and sorry you are having issues with your ATP.  I have a few questions, did you buy you buy the gun new or used and where was it purchased from?  And if you take the polymer base plate off the mag do you have the same issue with the mag falling out?  What I am trying to determine is whether it is a magazine issue or a mag catch issue.

Thank you.  We are here to help and will help you get it sorted out.

#5 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hi!! thanks for that quality kwa support! I got it from airsoftgi, brand new and yes I have the same problem taking the base plate off. instead of a solid metal vs. metal not-going-anywhere feeling it has a tacky feeling, like a super sticky piece of gum stuck up in there when i go and pull it out. Perhaps this is olivers problem too.

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

View Postknoxwell, on 05 October 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Hi!! thanks for that quality kwa support! I got it from airsoftgi, brand new and yes I have the same problem taking the base plate off. instead of a solid metal vs. metal not-going-anywhere feeling it has a tacky feeling, like a super sticky piece of gum stuck up in there when i go and pull it out. Perhaps this is olivers problem too.
Do you have more than one MAG?

#7 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

yes I have 2 mags both with the same problem and of coarse both kwa

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Last question....unless I forgot one....If you insert the mag with the slide locked back, do you encounter the same failure?

#9 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yes it comes out with the slide racked back. also, inserting the mag after the slide is locked back doesn't make a difference; it still comes out, and if I release the slide it makes no difference the mag will come out with minimal force.

I have found however that if I keep pressure on the piece of plastic that protrudes when the mag release button is compressed the mag won't budge. hmm weak spring?

Edited by knoxwell, 05 October 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#10 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

View Postknoxwell, on 05 October 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Yes it comes out with the slide racked back. also, inserting the mag after the slide is locked back doesn't make a difference; it still comes out, and if I release the slide it makes no difference the mag will come out with minimal force.

I have found however that if I keep pressure on the piece of plastic that protrudes when the mag release button is compressed the mag won't budge. hmm weak spring?
One of 3 things:
  • Weak Spring - Maybe
  • The mags could be slightly out of speck and the mag catch isn't completely engaging - does the mag catch snap in flush when the mag goes in?
  • Defective it worn mag catch
I'm leaning towards number 2 or 3.

#11 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Actually, the more I think about it it's most likely #3.  There is one last thing to try.  Put in the mag with the slide off and see if the mag still falls out.  If it does I'm betting you need a new catch.  That said, without seeing the gun, nothing is definitive.

#12 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

no it makes a faint thump sound when the mag catch "engages". It used to make a solid satisfying snap. it seems to me the mag catch itself is . it can't be a weak spring I've found because when I push on the other side of the mag release as if a really heavy spring were keeping the mag in, it will still spray gas everywhere. The mags seem to be fine they fit just fine in my friends old KWA yesterday after the problems occurred. Also I haven't ever looked at the mag release until now but it seems to be sort of rounded on he top edge.

to answer that last question with the slide off it still falls out, I agree it's probably the mag catch.

Edited by knoxwell, 06 October 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#13 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

View Postknoxwell, on 06 October 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

no it makes a faint thump sound when the mag catch "engages". It used to make a solid satisfying snap. it seems to me the mag catch itself is . it can't be a weak spring I've found because when I push on the other side of the mag release as if a really heavy spring were keeping the mag in, it will still spray gas everywhere. The mags seem to be fine they fit just fine in my friends old KWA yesterday after the problems occurred. Also I haven't ever looked at the mag release until now but it seems to be sort of rounded on he top edge.

to answer that last question with the slide off it still falls out, I agree it's probably the mag catch.
No doubt in my mind that's what it is.  Sorry for all the questions but now we know what it is.  Unfortunately, it's showing out of stock.  Call KWA directly to see if they can find you one and get you back up and running.

Telephone Numbers
1.626.581.1777 (Voice)

Operating Hours
Monday to Friday
8:30AM-5:30PM PST

#14 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

One final thought, if you can't get the part, you may be able to remove it, reshape it with a file to give it a defined edge and reinstall.

Keep us posted.

#15 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

thank you so much for all your help! I'll be calling and I'll keep you posted when I get it working.

#16 Oliver Santos

Oliver Santos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi, like i told you i'm having the same problem, everytime i shot a bb the magazine drops (i have a couple of magazines and happens the same), my doubt is if is it just the magazine catch (#11), or if is it another part involved too. If i don't let the magazine drop everything seems just fine.

#17 Oliver Santos

Oliver Santos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

And yes, the magazine doesn't stay locked..but like i wrote before if i don't let it fall everything seems fine. This gun was bought 2 months ago from airsoftgi, i got it from the buyer in ebay a week ago, and the selelr said it was only test fire, is that even possible?

#18 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostOliver Santos, on 06 October 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

And yes, the magazine doesn't stay locked..but like i wrote before if i don't let it fall everything seems fine. This gun was bought 2 months ago from airsoftgi, i got it from the buyer in ebay a week ago, and the selelr said it was only test fire, is that even possible?
If someone bought it 2 months ago and only test fired it, and the mags are falling out, I suspect the seller might not be entirely truthful.  And based on the posts, I'm thinking the mag catch (#11) to be the reason.  If I had the gun in hand I could tell you definitely.  But again, my guess is the bolt catch.

#19 Oliver Santos

Oliver Santos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hi, How can i take out the magazine catch? is there any video or tuttorial? thanks!

#20 knoxwell

knoxwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

"is there any video or tutorial?"  well heres a link:  http://lmgtfy.com/?q...e kwa mag catch

I've been asking around my community and doing some googling and this seems to be a persistant problem for a lot of atp owners where the mag release wears down really fast and as a result peoples mags always fall out. I'm considering buying a KWA release since it's metal and not going to break, but will that fit in my atp? I'm thinking its not because the pictures of a glock release are much different looking than one of an atp...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users