• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingsxjt

kingsxjt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I was considering taking off the front sight on my CQR MOD 1 because I may get an optic. In a video I watched how to take it off but I was wondering if I only took off the front sight and not replace it with anything if my gun would be fine or is the front sight holding anything in place. I know it voids the warranty and you are not allowed to say how to take off the flash hider but if you could please answer my question on the front sight.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

View Postkingsxjt, on 20 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

I was considering taking off the front sight on my CQR MOD 1 because I may get an optic. In a video I watched how to take it off but I was wondering if I only took off the front sight and not replace it with anything if my gun would be fine or is the front sight holding anything in place. I know it voids the warranty and you are not allowed to say how to take off the flash hider but if you could please answer my question on the front sight.
Without the front sight, or a similar gas block, the front hand guard will not be held in place by the hand guard end cap part #284.

#3 kingsxjt

kingsxjt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

What kind of gas block could I get and how hard are they to install?

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Easy if you get a two piece.  Note: two of the examples have fold down sights integrated.  Something like these:

http://www.evike.com...oducts_id=28420

Or something like this:

http://www.evike.com...oducts_id=29398

Or this: http://www.evike.com...oducts_id=37898

These are simply examples to get you started.

Hope it helps.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

It is unnecessary to remove the front sight tower to use an "optic" on the M4 Carbine. 5.56mm NATO or 6mm BB.

Dot sights function just fine -- the dot should be at the tip of the front sight post when zeroed.  Remember you shoot a dot sight with both eyes open and they work with the front cover closed.  The front sight tower is less obtrusive than the cover. :)

The front sight tower is invisible when using telescopic sights.  You essentially see around it.

Either way there is no need to remove the front sight tower.

-- Chuck

#6 kingsxjt

kingsxjt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostChuck S, on 21 September 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

It is unnecessary to remove the front sight tower to use an "optic" on the M4 Carbine. 5.56mm NATO or 6mm BB.

Dot sights function just fine -- the dot should be at the tip of the front sight post when zeroed.  Remember you shoot a dot sight with both eyes open and they work with the front cover closed.  The front sight tower is less obtrusive than the cover. :)

The front sight tower is invisible when using telescopic sights.  You essentially see around it.

-- Chuck

View PostChuck S, on 21 September 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

-- Chuck

I understand that you need it to zero in the sight using the iron sight, I was just wanting an unobstructed view when I used it, therefore if I got a flip up sight on the gas block I could zero the sight in an flip my sights down when I used an optic of sorts.

Thanks for advice

#7 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

If you keep both eyes open you have an unobstructed view of threats (targets) regardless of sights.  The brain fills in the missing data.  The most obstructed view with a rifle is looking thru a telescope.

You can certainly fold sights when you think don't need them.  But you then need to flip them back up again when you do.  A folding read sight may be necessary to fit a telescope but the front sight never gets in the way of normal optics.  A real long telescope may need it folded.  Positioning a dot sight forward makes it easier to transition between targets.

Folding rear sight on this rifle to allow the telescope to mount.  But no need to fold the front sight ever with this dot sight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

-- Chuck

#8 kingsxjt

kingsxjt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users