• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Al Creigh

Al Creigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

So I have a guy that is selling a used KWA m4 gen1(the mod sticker is still intact, shoots high 300's with very little ware and tear) with 5 mags, some bb's, a maddog tight bore and maddog suppressor, 4 batteries, an M1911 KWA side arm all for $350. I was wondering what you guys think of this? Would this be a solid purchase as my first gun for airsoft? Also I had them test fire it the thing ran smooth and the tech said it sounded like it hadn't been used much. There is a slight crack in the hand grip and it shot super quite. Could I spend my $350 else wear and get a better gun?

Any help is appreciated... I also shot a guys KWA sr-7 that was very impressive. What would be the equivalence of these two against each other?

#2 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

From the probable age of this offering it appears to be at most $400 worth (at former retail) of used airsoft for $350.  From sale (not asking) prices I've seen used airsoft is sells for no more than 50% of original retail and only in near perfect condition.  Aftermarket barrels and fake supressors don't add value (to me) unless I know just who did the modifcations.

"Why is he selling" is the question.  We've all bought used cars, of course, that the pervious owner sold for a myrid of reasons.  Many times because they were becoming maintenance nightmares.  Used airsoft is very similar.

The pre-Gen2 gearbox models are several years old.  I'm not usually comfortable buying modified used equipment and this carbine seems to have several non-stock items.  Pretty sure a replacement handguard is inexpensive.  So inexpensive I'm surprised the seller hasn't done this.  .

-- Chuck

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,302 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostAl Creigh, on 09 August 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

So I have a guy that is selling a used KWA m4 gen1(the mod sticker is still intact, shoots high 300's with very little ware and tear) with 5 mags, some bb's, a maddog tight bore and maddog suppressor, 4 batteries, an M1911 KWA side arm all for $350. I was wondering what you guys think of this? Would this be a solid purchase as my first gun for airsoft? Also I had them test fire it the thing ran smooth and the tech said it sounded like it hadn't been used much. There is a slight crack in the hand grip and it shot super quite. Could I spend my $350 else wear and get a better gun?

Any help is appreciated... I also shot a guys KWA sr-7 that was very impressive. What would be the equivalence of these two against each other?
Hi Al, welcome to the KWA Forums.  My rule of thumb is unless you can fix a used gun through your competence as a tech, don't buy it. Certainly don't buy a 4 year old gun for your first AEG unless you are ready to dump $125.00 into it for a 2GX gearbox.  The batteries may be all crap by now....you probably need a new bucking.....this list goes on.

The Gen 1 KM4A1 was a great gun for the price at the time.  In fact, it was my first KWA AEG and one of the reasons I'm a Moderator for KWA today.  That said, you can get a whole lot more performance from a new (albeit discontinued) KM4A1 for 299.00 retail and they are still out there because I saw one at a local airsoft shop last week.  Compared to the SR7? There really is no doubt the SR7 is better than a Gen 1 KWA based on the gearbox.  However, comparing today's 2GX KWAs is another matter. Comparing the KM4 RIS (The carbine length KWA which is being produced in lieu of the M4A1) and the SR7, the SR7 owns CQB play, while the RIS is better for field place IMO.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users