Jump to content


Lower receiver mock pins


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington MA
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Do the metal lower receivers in stock in the proshop include those four fake metal pins? It appears on other websites where they are stocked that it doesn't. If not, where can I get some?
Thanks.

Edited by asdfrtyuvbnm, 09 August 2013 - 03:42 PM.


#2 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postasdfrtyuvbnm, on 09 August 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

Do the metal lower receivers in stock in the proshop include those four fake metal pins? It appears on other websites where they are stocked that it doesn't. If not, where can I get some?
Thanks.
A picture would help but if I'm catchin' what you are throwin'....yes, they do.

#3 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington MA
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Its those tiny metal discs that are where a pin would be on a real AR, those things that newbie techs often try to punch out when removing the gearbox. :facepalm: They are real convincing actually.

Edited by asdfrtyuvbnm, 09 August 2013 - 04:06 PM.


#4 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postasdfrtyuvbnm, on 09 August 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Its those tiny metal discs that are where a pin would be on a real AR, those things that newbie techs often try to punch out when removing the gearbox. :facepalm: They are real convincing actually.
Yup, that's what I thought....you know, every standard m4 lower I've ever worked on, at least the ones I remember...there have been quite a few, have only one pin to knock out....so here's what you do:
  • Find a new tech.....I'm confident you are aware of this
  • Grab a replacement lower from KWA, the faux pins are part of the casting.
If the damage isn't too bad a touch up may do the job rather than a new lower.  If you post a picture we will give you an opinion on how repairable it is.

#5 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington MA
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was actually starting a new project, and needed a new lower. The old one is too scratched up from general use. I mentioned the newb techs because I have heard so many funny stories of people trying to punch them out and getting frustrated, and knew that you would know what I was talking about. Thanks a lot for the help.

#6 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postasdfrtyuvbnm, on 09 August 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I was actually starting a new project, and needed a new lower. The old one is too scratched up from general use. I mentioned the newb techs because I have heard so many funny stories of people trying to punch them out and getting frustrated, and knew that you would know what I was talking about. Thanks a lot for the help.
No worries.  Thanks for the clarification though.

#7 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:utah
  • Country:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

My lower did not come with the fake pins. I had to use the old ones. I knocked them out with a small punch after I removed the gearbox. You will need to hit them from the inside out not outside in.

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Country:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:50 AM

If someone other than you damaged your receiver by attempting to punch out non-pins he owes you a new receiver.  If you did it just consider it a lesson learned.  :)

-- Chuck

#9 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

View PostDesert Punk, on 09 August 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

My lower did not come with the fake pins. I had to use the old ones. I knocked them out with a small punch after I removed the gearbox. You will need to hit them from the inside out not outside in.
That's odd, the ones I saw had them...or so I thought.  Let me dig deeper.

#10 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington MA
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft
  • Country:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

Then what do the guys buying metal receivers for cqrs do? The polymer lowers do not have these pins as they are part of the casting of polymer recievers unlike the metal ones where they are pressed in.

Edited by asdfrtyuvbnm, 10 August 2013 - 06:34 AM.


#11 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postasdfrtyuvbnm, on 10 August 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Then what do the guys buying metal receivers for cqrs do? The polymer lowers do not have these pins as they are part of the casting of polymer recievers unlike the metal ones where they are e pressed in.
That's a good question because now I've seen both with and without.  Let me go to the source and get a definitive answer.

#12 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington MA
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft
  • Country:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

BTW, what about that right side "safety" plug? is that included, or do I need to get a separate one? I know the old one pops out, but I want to replace it as well.

Edited by asdfrtyuvbnm, 10 August 2013 - 06:47 AM.


#13 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postasdfrtyuvbnm, on 10 August 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

BTW, what about that right side "safety" plug? is that included, or do I need to get a separate one? I know the old one pops out, but I want to replace it as well.
That I know for a fact you will need to get.

#14 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Ok, so here's the scoop, I received this email from KWA regarding receiver pins.  I hope this clears things up.

"The recent shipment we got, does have the fake pins in them now. The shipment prior did not. We don't have the pins available at this time, but they won't need them for this shipment."

With this in mind I would order directly from KWA to ensure you receive the correct item.

Hope this helps.

#15 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington MA
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft
  • Country:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks. Thats great news. I really did not want to deal with extra ordering and stuff.

#16 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postasdfrtyuvbnm, on 12 August 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Thanks. Thats great news. I really did not want to deal with extra ordering and stuff.
Can't say I blame you.  This cuts down on a bit of the hassle and certainly the price.  I knew I wasn't going crazy (but you never know) when I said they came with the pins.  Thing is, Taiwanese companies can fulfill special orders, like when KWA orders from their factory, but unless specific details are relayed, then things like a lower without pins occurs.  Fact is, I had never really looked so close to determine that the pins are machined where as the lower is cast.  Never really had a reason to... Thank you for the thread.  It was enlightening!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users