11 replies to this topic

#1 mr.ying

mr.ying

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just to want to let all users know, If you own a kwa lm4c (cqb) version, the new bolt release which you can purchase from the kwa pro shop does not need any kind of modification. They have drilled a hole in the bolt release, shaving and bending is not required. The only thing needed is to cut a quarter of the original spring that goes into the hole. Just wanted to give and update. Worked perfectly on mine :)  

Cheers
Ying :clap: :dance:

#2 dino325

dino325

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

I also bought the new bolt catch after they started shipping it modified. This was approximately 1-2 months ago. However today I noticed that the bolt catch was not grabbing enough of the bolt when locked back and sometimes the slightest bump would send the bolt flying into battery. My fix was to perform the "boobie" mods, shaving some material off and bending the arm slightly to regain good surface contact between the two. Just figured i'd update that these modified bolt catches aren't perfect just yet.

#3 mr.ying

mr.ying

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

ohh cause when i install everything in, i was slightly smacking on the reciever to see if the it was going to be loose, haven't had any problems with it. Was yours the lm4c? cause from what i know my rifle actually has a small hole just to fit the spring. So i figure they sort of redesign the lm4c to fit this mod in.

#4 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

The new lm4c has the new bolt catch. But it still doesn't go high enough to be reliable. You still have to mod it to go up higher by bending the arm..and removing some material off the shoulder of the bolt catch so it can tilt higher.  But if it works for you that's kool. Its not new news that the lm4c comes like that now. All kwa did was drop the new bolt catch in with the spring..they would actually have to redesign the bolt catch to make it work like a true modded cstch that everyone has been doing..all they've done was drill a hole in it for the spring.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Edited by BoobieM4H, 07 July 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

"MP5 slapping" the bolt catch to close the bolt causes wear on the face of the bolt carrier which eventualy causes problems holding the carrier to the rear when the gun shoots to empty.  Retracting the charging handle to release the bolt is not possible with the original bolt catch but is with Bobbie's mods.  Much less wear on the gun.

-- Chuck

#6 Jakeedaman21

Jakeedaman21

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thats sad... because if you use this for training, you almost never want to release the bolt by pulling the charging handle back again. Leads to the possibility of an unseated bolt. If only KWA had made that part with stronger materials on both the lever and the BCG.

#7 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Many experts recommend the charging handle, just like you cycle the slide when manipulating an auto pistol.  Keeps the same motions for both systems.  With a flattop receiver one can "reach over" the same way one grasps the pistol slide.

Slapping the bolt stop looks kool but is liable to fail with heavy gloves (we don't all live in California!), plus it does not work for up to 30% of the population who are left handed and can't slap it anyway.

I prefer to close the bolt (slide) the same way I open or cycle it.  That doesn't involve slapping anything.

No one technique is perfect...

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 10 July 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#8 CMFour

CMFour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I tried messaging you Boobie but it said I couldnt send a message so I'll just have to post here. My apologies for bumping this old thread but this is what came up while doing my search.

You mentioned that the new lm4c has the new bolt catch. How do I find out before buying the gun if its the new model? Is the model number different or does it go by year or month of production?

Example: Both AirsoftGI and Airsplat has the lm4c but how do I figure out whether I'm buying the new model with the new bolt catch or not?

#9 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostCMFour, on 10 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

I tried messaging you Boobie but it said I couldnt send a message so I'll just have to post here. My apologies for bumping this old thread but this is what came up while doing my search.

You mentioned that the new lm4c has the new bolt catch. How do I find out before buying the gun if its the new model? Is the model number different or does it go by year or month of production?

Example: Both AirsoftGI and Airsplat has the lm4c but how do I figure out whether I'm buying the new model with the new bolt catch or not?
I'm not quite sure on how you would find out..unless you call them and have them personally check the lm4c and have them box it and send it to you. Now I do know that kwa shipped out some lm4c's to a local supplier recently..about a month ago..and they did not have the new version bolt catch installed. It was odd and the local store only ordered a few pieces from kwa. So contacting the place you order from and asking if the have the lm4c with newest version bolt catch would be the best thing to do

GBBGURU

#10 CMFour

CMFour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks BoobieM4H, I appreciate all the help.

#11 JonathanNCP

JonathanNCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

funny I just saw a youTube video which showed both techniques and asked for preference from AR users in the comments. The majority prefered  using the bolt release or BAD lever. I prefer the bolt catch/release since that what I learned at Ft Jackson in 89. Mine hasnt worn out yet, and if it does then I will deal with it with a fix or new parts. To each thier own. Here is the link to the video with comments.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rya7jCHNWho

Edited by JonathanNCP, 11 September 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#12 The Nutty Professor

The Nutty Professor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

I use the BAD lever period on every AR I use. It's faster and there's less gross motor skills used. My hand doesn't leave the pistol grip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users