My KWA M16BR is shooting pretty low with short range.

kwa M16 KM16BR hop up problem advice help range fps feet per second

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iNCEPTOR57

iNCEPTOR57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

My M16 has always been having low fps ratings on chrono machines. The last time I check with .20s on my local airsoft field, it was shooting between 340-360 fps. I thought that was pretty low for a KWA. Not only that, it seems as though the range isn't like it is told by many people, I couldn't consistently hit a target about 50-70 feet away even with a 4x scope. Sometimes the bb will stay on target and times it sway very far to left or right, and when I look at the trajectory, it seems to lean toward the side directions (forget which way)

Currently my KWA internals are all stock with a madbull python 6.03 barrel. I have disassembled it twice but didn't change anything inside. Isn't this thing made to hit about 100+ feet accurately stock? It's kind of a bummer to get this gun only to find out it won't even shoot straight. What should I do to fix these problems?

Also when I pull my trigger, sometimes I hear a click when I let go of the trigger when shooting it at my range, is that a technical problem with the internals/trigger mechanism or just nothing?

#2 Overlord

Overlord

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft of course

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I would try cleaning the barrel if it is shooting to the sides a little because with my g&p m4 or kwa m16, if its shooting that way, i clean the barrel and both shoot normal again.  Also my m16 is shooting 330 fps and I can hit a guy at 150ft or farther, I've had mine for about 2 years.  Also something you can do is clean the bucking, usually the cause for hop up problems.  I can't help you with the clicking noise because I've never had that happen to me. And before you put the hop up and the barrel back in your gun, you can turn the wheel and look inside the hop up to see if the nub is pushing down far enough on the bucking so the bb has back spin.  Sorry for all this info, but this has helped me a lot in the past, so I hope these things help you out with your problem.

#3 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

What did you disassemble exactly?  
And when was the last time you have cleaned the bucking and barrel.  You may also try using a stock inner barrel with new bucking to eliminate the possibility of incompatible inner barrel or a damaged bucking causing compression problems.  But try thoroughly cleaning both the bucking and inner barrel. If you can't even over hop a bb that is a sign that you have either a dirty or damaged bucking.

#4 iNCEPTOR57

iNCEPTOR57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostOverlord, on 23 June 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Also my m16 is shooting 330 fps and I can hit a guy at 150ft or farther, I've had mine for about 2 years.  

Mine shoot a little higher and i can't hit that far accurately.

View Postniko_gpsy, on 24 June 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

What did you disassemble exactly?  
And when was the last time you have cleaned the bucking and barrel.  You may also try using a stock inner barrel with new bucking to eliminate the possibility of incompatible inner barrel or a damaged bucking causing compression problems.  But try thoroughly cleaning both the bucking and inner barrel. If you can't even over hop a bb that is a sign that you have either a dirty or damaged bucking.

Well, I did disassemble the gearbox, but I put it back together with not problem except the trigger area, I had to bend a little tip on the trigger spring to put it in place. (no effect on actual performance, just a weird "click" feeling like I mentioned). Okay I'll try your option and clean the hop up and reinstall stock barrel.

Also, could this be a compression problem in my gearbox?

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,304 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostiNCEPTOR57, on 25 June 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Mine shoot a little higher and i can't hit that far accurately.

Well, I did disassemble the gearbox, but I put it back together with not problem except the trigger area, I had to bend a little tip on the trigger spring to put it in place. (no effect on actual performance, just a weird "click" feeling like I mentioned). Okay I'll try your option and clean the hop up and reinstall stock barrel.

Also, could this be a compression problem in my gearbox?
Yes, there could be a compression problem.  If putting in the stock barrel (after cleaning) doesn't improve things I would check the piston o-ring....Did you checked the compression of the piston/cylinder assembly while you had the gearbox open?

#6 iNCEPTOR57

iNCEPTOR57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

View Postgcw360, on 25 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Yes, there could be a compression problem.  If putting in the stock barrel (after cleaning) doesn't improve things I would check the piston o-ring....Did you checked the compression of the piston/cylinder assembly while you had the gearbox open?

What do I do to check the compression?
Also the reason I opened it up was to replace the piston O-ring because I heard from somewhere that it was the reason why my fps is low

Edited by iNCEPTOR57, 26 June 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#7 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,304 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostiNCEPTOR57, on 26 June 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

What do I do to check the compression?
Also the reason I opened it up was to replace the piston O-ring because I heard from somewhere that it was the reason why my fps is low
To check the o-ring/piston head seal do the following:
  • Wet you index finger....spit will do

• Place tip of wetted finger over the end of the brass nozzle (not the black metal nozzle)

• Insert piston and push, quickly,  towards end of cylinder

• There should be very strong resistance indicating a good air seal

• If the piston moves w/o resistance then air is leaking and there is an issue with the piston o-ring, cylinder o-ring, brass nozzle/cylinder head, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kwa, M16, KM16BR, hop up, problem, advice, help, range, fps, feet per second

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users