5 replies to this topic

#1 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I've had my sr10 for over 3 years now. It's been extremely reliable. I'm guessing its seen 200k rounds, mostly with an 11.1 lipo. I've probably changed the spring 10 times, been through 4 pistons and many buckings.  

Problem is that it's broken, and I can't fix it. The gears look new. Installed new wiring. Everything looks perfect as far as I can tell. I've tried three times to tear it down and carefully put it back together the same way I have done for years.  Each time it works for about 50 rounds, then it just seizes up. First time I used the original wiring. It was in bad shape. Then, I took the wiring from my another KWA, still seized.  Last, I installed an ASCU. Still seized up.

Is it possible that its just seen its last game? I really think I'm going to give up and just use it for parts on my other AEGs. How do you know when to retire a gun?

#2 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

You can buy a complete gearbox direct from KWA built to your specs for about $100.  Since a new gun will run $350 this is a cost effective repair.  Like dropping a new crate engine into your car rather than rebuilding it.

-- Chuck

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm kinda with Chuck on this one.  Without seeing the gearbox and knowing what parts have been replaced, it's difficult to know if it's time to throw in the towel for either a new gun ($$$) or a new gearbox. Seizing can be caused by a number of issues typically related to shimming, gear wear, bearing wear, etc.  By replacing the gearbox you can be assured that things will be reset to day one....at least with regard to the inside of the gun.  And a new KWA gearbox is $125.00 shipped.

#4 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I have another old KWA gearbox. It was working great until my brother in law slipped and fell breaking the lower receiver and cracking the gearbox. It was kind of a freak deal. I'm going to take the bushing from that one and see if they fix the problem.

I'm not an expert at gearbox repair. Although I've done a pretty good job keeping these things going.

Chuck & GCW, appreciate your input.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

changed the spring 10 times, been through 4 pistons and many buckings
Maybe you wore it out by taking it apart every 20,000 rounds?  :)  I've yet to take my gearbox out of my KM4 although I have some parts to boost the muzzle velocity.  The AR15s and M14s I've built from bare receivers seem simple compared to an AEG.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 22 June 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#6 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostChuck S, on 22 June 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Maybe you wore it out by taking it apart every 20,000 rounds?  :)  I've yet to take my gearbox out of my KM4 although I have some parts to boost the muzzle velocity.  The AR15s and M14s I've built from bare receivers seem simple compared to an AEG.

-- Chuck

Could be. I never took it apart for fun. It was either a piston or compression issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SR10, Gears seizing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users