Looking to build out my first CQB M4 and would like some help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrpotatoes

mrpotatoes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm looking to build my first M4 and I'm planning to get the KWA LM4. My research has made me come to the conclusion that as a base gun this is the best to start off with.

I have a few other GBBs, which I love, but I haven't done many internal or external mods to them. Just vertical grips and sights. Now I want to build out a CQB M4 with a flush [barrel extension] in the RIS with a barrel extending all the way to the end. I don't plan to remove the [barrel extension] so it will be a permanent visual attachment.

I have a very particular look in mind but because of my lack of knowledge on the subject I'm not terribly keen on all the details of building up an M4 or all the different options for an M4. I guess you would say I have option overload. I'm essentially looking to replicate the front of this gun (rails out): http://i.imgur.com/u2seZgnh.jpg

I think the best bet is to start with a full sized LM4 and get a shorter rail (CQB length) and find a [barrel extension] and outer barrel. I'm not even sure if this is possible or makes sense which is why I'm asking on here.

Thank you and all help is be greatly appreciated.

#2 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Are you just building a short barrel, visually tricked out LM4 or a CQB gun?

CQB as an airsoft term defines a use and an energy level under 1 joule (roughly and easily measured at 100 meters per second with a 0.20g BB.  350fps is just a tad higher and normally accepted.  If you want a CQB gun work on the ballistics first.  Add the Barbie for Boys dress-up stuff later.

Your primary problem is not all the fluff rails and fake barrel extensions but muzzle velocity.  Muzzle velocity can be altered with modifications to the bolt but it gets fairly complex in gas guns as longer barrels provide more velocity, just like their cartridge prototypes.

My standard LM4 muzzle velocity is in the 420 fps range, well over CQB specs. A longer barrel will complicate your project significantly.  With heavier BBs the energy level goes up as well (unlike an AEG).

-- Chuck

#3 mrpotatoes

mrpotatoes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

So basically I have more to consider with GBB that I wasn't aware of at first. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users