9 replies to this topic

#1 steelfallenangel

steelfallenangel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I recently swapped out my 17 slide for a PGC one. I have already filed down the slide plate to fit the PGC slide. I assembled everything (damaged one of the two blowback springs in the process) but I'm having some issues with the final fit right now. The slide goes on fine and cycles with a magazine in. My issue is that if there isn't a magazine in if I pull back the slide it slides off the frame.

I'm thinking that it could be one of two issues. Either the missing blowback spring helps keep the sldie secure that broke. (the slide doesn't shoot itself off just moves slightly beyond the front of the frame.

Or that the washer I placed in the frame isn't low enough for the blowback main screw to full thread on and is causing the blowback unit to not keep itself fully secure and flat against the slide.

Anyone who's worked with PGC slides if you could give me any advice it would be much appreciated.

#2 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'm baffled. I don't see how it is possible. The spring and spring guide have so much in the way. How could the slide ever come off backwards?

On a side note, you may want to file down the ridge that is on the inside infront of the ejection port. My M18c wouldn't cycle correctly until it finally wore the ridge down.

#3 Gman Chris

Gman Chris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I think he means that the slide falls off the front of the frame when he releases it. A friend of mine had one that did that after he put an aftermarket frame on.

#4 steelfallenangel

steelfallenangel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Yes it moves off the front of the gun. Its weird though. If the slides at a neutral position it will not come off unless I pull down on the dissembly lever. But without a mag when its pulled back and released it moves forward as if the assembly lever is pulled down.

I replaced the blowback spring and am sourcing out a different screw and nut for the blowback unit.

Upon closer inspection I've noticed there was one other thing missing. The small little black indenent next to the ejection port (if lookin at the port its on its left side) seems to be held in by two very small screws on the inside of the slide. But these screws weren't in the slide kit nor were they on the original KWA slide since this piece is just a solid part of the slide as isn't removable.

But all of these things still seem odd that they don't occur if the mags inserted.

Was hoping someone on this forum had installed this slide and knew what was going on.

As it stands right now the gun is still fully functional (helped in double part due to the strike face I also installed which will prohibit the slide from leaving the frame) but its just something I'm worried about may be a symptom of something worse.

#5 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Take a look at the slide lock. I would pop mine open and try to help more, but some little punk stole my M18c last time I brought it to the park. Never leave anything unattended. It was an expensive lesson for me. I had about $400 into that gun.

#6 steelfallenangel

steelfallenangel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Ironicaly enough I was just about to post a update relating to what you said.

I did end up finding the two little pins along with a washer fitted for the slide inside the original box. The were inside a small ziplock taped at the opposite end from where I opened it. Only found them on accident since I was storing AEG springs in there.

So now the blowback unit is fully secured along with that other cosmetic part.

However in the process of the frequent removal and installation I ended up snapping my loading nozzle in half (part #22) so along with the new blowback springs I ordered one of those as well. Likely just a combination of a older original part that had was just stresed just alittle too much with all the recent movement.

But while taking it out I did notice that the slide lock bar (think it's part #51) looked alitle worn and curved slightly towards the front of the gun. I'm guessing that this is likely the cuplrit and was also pretty close to failure and the installation and troubleshooting of this slide kit pushed it past the point of no return.

Do you guys know anywhere were I can source out a replacement? The pro-shop didn't have a page for this part and I checked through all M models along with the ATP hoping that I could jerry rig a solution from a different one.

If you'd like I can post a picture of it later. Maybe it was moved at some point and installed backwards but I doubt it since before I put on the new slide it functioned correctly.

Edited by steelfallenangel, 05 May 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#7 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,509 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

View Poststeelfallenangel, on 05 May 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

Ironicaly enough I was just about to post a update relating to what you said.

I did end up finding the two little pins along with a washer fitted for the slide inside the original box. The were inside a small ziplock taped at the opposite end from where I opened it. Only found them on accident since I was storing AEG springs in there.

So now the blowback unit is fully secured along with that other cosmetic part.

However in the process of the frequent removal and installation I ended up snapping my loading nozzle in half (part #22) so along with the new blowback springs I ordered one of those as well. Likely just a combination of a older original part that had was just stresed just alittle too much with all the recent movement.

But while taking it out I did notice that the slide lock bar (think it's part #51) looked alitle worn and curved slightly towards the front of the gun. I'm guessing that this is likely the cuplrit and was also pretty close to failure and the installation and troubleshooting of this slide kit pushed it past the point of no return.

Do you guys know anywhere were I can source out a replacement? The pro-shop didn't have a page for this part and I checked through all M models along with the ATP hoping that I could jerry rig a solution from a different one.

If you'd like I can post a picture of it later. Maybe it was moved at some point and installed backwards but I doubt it since before I put on the new slide it functioned correctly.
I would call KWA directly.  Not all parts are listed in the Pro-Shop.

#8 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Would a RS slide lock work?  I've heard they do for the USPs.

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,509 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostDirt Bag, on 05 May 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Would a RS slide lock work?  I've heard they do for the USPs.
I'm not sure, I've never tried.

#10 steelfallenangel

steelfallenangel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Someone who did a very in depth review of the KWA M series guns over at ASF mentioned in their review that real steel slide locks could work but needed to be modified in someone to get them to work. They didn't however mention exactly what needed to be done.

But yea I'll call KWA directly on monday about getting a new replacement.

Hopefully after installing this new slide stop this thing will be done and 100% operational since I really need to start work on my TM MEU Kimber Covert II.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users