#1 TicTac

TicTac

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:AIRSOFT AND MOTOCROSS

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Ive talked to so many people about this one. I would love to hear everyones standpoint on this so chat it up. I personally think its terrible for the gun if done to much. thats my opinion though so whats yours? :whistle:

#2 TicTac

TicTac

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ive talked to so many people about this one. I would love to hear everyones standpoint on this so chat it up. I personally think its terrible for the gun if done to much. thats my opinion though so whats yours? :whistle:

#3 Wgusler

Wgusler

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:I had to go get mustard for my cat.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I agree, I think it's a bad idea.

#4 Wgusler

Wgusler

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:I had to go get mustard for my cat.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

What a bunch of crap, I dosen't hurt anything.

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,722 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostTicTac, on 26 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

It's how I break...uh, durabilty test my guns....

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,722 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Now I'm confused....

#7 TicTac

TicTac

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

wat

#8 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Playing Bass, Grandkids, camping

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Think about it. What is the difference between dry fire and shooting a BB out of the gun.

1) No difference in the piston cocking cycle.
2) Very little force difference in the tappet loading the BB into the hop up cycle, unless you consider the force of pushing the BB past the bucking lips excessive.
3) Perhaps a little difference in how fast the piston head will come forward due to the inertia of the BB in the barrel. If that force was great then putting speed gears, 4S LiPo batteries and dual sector gears in would not help make the gun run faster because the limiting factor would be how fast the piston returns.

I don't believe it will hurt the gun at all.
I vote MYTH!

wage peace

Edited by philsaudio, 27 April 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postphilsaudio, on 27 April 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Think about it. What is the difference between dry fire and shooting a BB out of the gun.

1) No difference in the piston cocking cycle.
2) Very little force difference in the tappet loading the BB into the hop up cycle, unless you consider the force of pushing the BB past the bucking lips excessive.
3) Perhaps a little difference in how fast the piston head will come forward due to the inertia of the BB in the barrel. If that force was great then putting speed gears, 4S LiPo batteries and dual sector gears in would not help make the gun run faster because the limiting factor would be how fast the piston returns.

I don't believe it will hurt the gun at all.
I vote MYTH!

wage peace
You make a very good point.  In fact lets just say that a BB in a chamber somehow buffers the impact due to it's inertia, when you up the spring from an m120 to an m130 or m140 wouldn't the force far exceed any buffer that the bb imparted relitivly speaking with the m120 spring?  And why is it that V3 gearboxes are not as prone to front end cracking as typical V2's?  I believe that V2 gearbox failure is an inherent design issue.  I also think that it has been overcome for the most part with the 2GX gearbox.  I broke my gen 1 KWA gearbox while using an SP130 spring firing over 495 FPS while, as I've said more than once, I have never seen an issue with the 2GX V2 gearbox.

#10 REDARMY

REDARMY

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:hockey
    airsoft

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

myth. I do not dry fire unless im clearing my gun. But I agree with philsaudio because It would only affect the psiton head/oring. And the presence of a bb being in a hopup chamber isnt much more than not.

With that being said it won't change the fact that I try my best not to do it.

#11 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Playing Bass, Grandkids, camping

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

The less you fire your gun with or without BBs the less the probability it will break.

Any place there is a right angle cut out in metal there is a potential spot for a stress fracture. Rounding out that right angle will distribute the stress over a larger area and reduce the probability of a break in corner of that angle. This is easily done with a rat-tail-file when the cylinder is removed from the GB.

As the owner of a drum kit I know that when a cymbal begins to crack we use an old drummers trick to stop the crack by drilling a small hole at the end of the fracture. This trick has extended the life of many a cymbal.

wage peace

Edited by philsaudio, 27 April 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#12 TicTac

TicTac

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

agreed with phil he has a point and with the 2GX reinforced shell its solid

#13 metalclash

metalclash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostREDARMY, on 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

myth. I do not dry fire unless im clearing my gun. But I agree with philsaudio because It would only affect the piston head/oring. And the presence of a bb being in a hopup chamber isnt much more than not.

With that being said it won't change the fact that I try my best not to do it.

Same, I only dryfire to test if the gearbox does indeed cycle before putting the whole gun back together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users