• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ceilingcat12121

ceilingcat12121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I've had my ATP for a while now, but after using it extensively in the winter the problems have finally gotten the better of it. Long story short, my ATP wont fully cycle half the time, and when it does it leaves a weak feeling when compared to months back. Keep in mind, I've kept up with all maintenance and other forms of upkeep. Some things I've observed are that my cylinder itself doesn't stay on the hop up as it's supposed to, it also doesn't move smoothly along the breech anymore. This problem exists alone all three of my atp mags, so the problem isn't within the mags. The pin has the correct engagement on the valve, and I see no visible damage to the cylinder itself. If anyone has any remedies or theories to this cylinder/cycling problem please feel free to share.

Attached Files

#2 Kaptastic

Kaptastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

FIrst post! So yeah I had the same exact problem with all of my mags. Gun would cycle once or twice maybe on a full charge of gas and then half cycles. It was to the point where it wouldn't even cycle the cylinder back enough to load a BB.

Took a friends lower and slapped my slide on it for testing. Used my mags, and the gun cycled perfectly. This eliminated any hopup/barrel/slide/piston/mag issues. So I studied both frames closely. I knew it had to be something with the hammer assembly and the release of gas from the mag.

I noticed serious wear on the pin that hits the valve of the mag. Not sure what its called but the diagram has it as part 18. It was down enough for me to notice that it was perhaps a MM short, or maybe just rounded from wear. The part isn't available on the proshop website. Lucky for me a friend had some random parts from an ATP. I replaced the valve striker pin (my name, part 18), the hammer, and the hammer spring.

Gun shoots good as new. These are the first things I'd check. Getting the hammer/valve pin/trigger bar back together correctly was rather challenging by my opinion, too.

Edited by Kaptastic, 13 May 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,606 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostKaptastic, on 13 May 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

FIrst post! So yeah I had the same exact problem with all of my mags. Gun would cycle once or twice maybe on a full charge of gas and then half cycles. It was to the point where it wouldn't even cycle the cylinder back enough to load a BB.

Took a friends lower and slapped my slide on it for testing. Used my mags, and the gun cycled perfectly. This eliminated any hopup/barrel/slide/piston/mag issues. So I studied both frames closely. I knew it had to be something with the hammer assembly and the release of gas from the mag.

I noticed serious wear on the pin that hits the valve of the mag. Not sure what its called but the diagram has it as part 18. It was down enough for me to notice that it was perhaps a MM short, or maybe just rounded from wear. The part isn't available on the proshop website. Lucky for me a friend had some random parts from an ATP. I replaced the valve striker pin (my name, part 18), the hammer, and the hammer spring.

Gun shoots good as new. These are the first things I'd check. Getting the hammer/valve pin/trigger bar back together correctly was rather challenging by my opinion, too.
Part #18 is the impact block and, as you indicated, is one of the key sources of this type of failure.  Thank you for the post.  It's one of the most helpful I've seen regarding GBB pistols in a while.

#4 Kaptastic

Kaptastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks gcw, just being a good soul, hahaa. Just another related observation. I think the problem can be brought about quicker by slamming mags in while the hammer is not engaged. Not sure how much friction there really is, but it could be a factor.

Another buddy of mine loves to screw around with his stuff. He probably slammed mags in hundreds of times without it cocked and now has the same problem, with a lot less rounds through it. Still not positive this is a factor, though.

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,606 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostKaptastic, on 15 May 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

Thanks gcw, just being a good soul, hahaa. Just another related observation. I think the problem can be brought about quicker by slamming mags in while the hammer is not engaged. Not sure how much friction there really is, but it could be a factor.

Another buddy of mine loves to screw around with his stuff. He probably slammed mags in hundreds of times without it cocked and now has the same problem, with a lot less rounds through it. Still not positive this is a factor, though.
Well, even if it isn't causing the problem directly, inserting and removing, racking and firing, all cause some degree of wear.  The more you use a gun the more it wears.  I will tell you that I always, well almost always, have my gun racked and slide locked before inserting a mag.  It's a habit that has served me well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATP, KWA, cycling, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users