18 replies to this topic

#1 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Alright so today i got an a2 buffer for my lm4 after getting the steel BBA buffer lock and installing it. Ok so i cut it down to perfect size and its the same size as the stock plastic buffer, but when i put it in the gun and pulled back on the charging handle, the bolt didnt move. So i checked and sure enough the buffer got stuck inside the buffer tube. After a few mins of shaking it i finally got it out, but im guessing its because its too wide or something on the head. Im gonna try sanding down the head and seeing if making it a little less big there will allow this thing to function properly. Any of you a2 buffer users recommend anything?

#2 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Your spring is probably binding and locking it up in the tube.

#3 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postakiraspeedstar, on 19 February 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Your spring is probably binding and locking it up in the tube.
so then how the hell am i supposed to fix that...

#4 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Did you do the buffer spring noise fix?

#5 ky2970

ky2970

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

View Postakiraspeedstar, on 19 February 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Did you do the buffer spring noise fix?

After doing your buffer spring fix, my bolt wouldn't move aft either because I had twisted it a bit too much.

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Just curious:

What am I missing here?  What's wrong with the LM4 buffer and why use an "A2" (M16A2?) buffer that's way too long for the carbine lower receiver extension?  Cut down I assume.

-- Chuck

#7 Rockhound117

Rockhound117

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, and airsoft!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostChuck S, on 20 February 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

Just curious:

What am I missing here?  What's wrong with the LM4 buffer and why use an "A2" (M16A2?) buffer that's way too long for the carbine lower receiver extension?  Cut down I assume.

-- Chuck

A2 buffer gives it a stronger kick. Similar to the Angry Gun recoil kit if I am correct.

#8 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostRockhound117, on 20 February 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

A2 buffer gives it a stronger kick. Similar to the Angry Gun recoil kit if I am correct.

Whoa whoa haha, it's no where near the AG kit though its right there with the RATech super recoil kit.

Also to the OP - the reason I ask about the buffer spring is because the A2 buffer pushes the spring more than the standard buffer. If the diameter is increased then it'll bind and jam itself into the buffer tube. This happened to me when I installed an A2 buffer. I just run the OEM setup again as I care more about staying on target and gas efficiency so I figured I'd just sell my angrygun kit and RA-Tech Super Recoil kit.

#9 Rockhound117

Rockhound117

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, and airsoft!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postakiraspeedstar, on 20 February 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Whoa whoa haha, it's no where near the AG kit though its right there with the RATech super recoil kit.

My bad, I meant it that it does the same thing. Increase recoil.

#10 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Ok so first off no i didnt do the noise fix or anything, but i got it to work. All i did was get some sand paper and sand down those two circle things on the buffer, and i figured out it was the second one that was making the buffer get stuck in the tube, so i sanded that one down a lot and i got it working. The only problem now is that i sanded down the first one a little bit too much...so now the buffer is actually NOT wide enough from the front to actually get stopped by the buffer detend pin...yea it looks like im gonna need to do this again lol. At least now i know what im doing :P

#11 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Your buffer spring was backward..youll notice on one end of the spring that there are a few really tight close coils then the other end..this end (the end with the tight coils) should slide over the buffer..you should not have to mod the a2 buffer circumference, just the length of it. Enjoy the recoil

( o Y o )

#12 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 20 February 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Your buffer spring was backward..youll notice on one end of the spring that there are a few really tight close coils then the other end..this end (the end with the tight coils) should slide over the buffer..you should not have to mod the a2 buffer circumference, just the length of it. Enjoy the recoil

( o Y o )
hahaha no im not stupid enough to put it in backwards...Im 100% positive it was the right way. I actually did have to mod the buffer believe it or not. Im not sure if its my buffer tube or i just got a different brand of a2 buffer that was made differently or something.

#13 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostFlubberDucky, on 21 February 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

hahaha no im not stupid enough to put it in backwards...Im 100% positive it was the right way. I actually did have to mod the buffer believe it or not. Im not sure if its my buffer tube or i just got a different brand of a2 buffer that was made differently or something.
I didnt mean to imply your are stupid..cause if that the case..then im a dumbass most of the time lol..what brand a2 buffer did you buy? Ive used dpms and rock river arms buffers with no problems

( o Y o )

#14 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 21 February 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

I didnt mean to imply your are stupid..cause if that the case..then im a dumbass most of the time lol..what brand a2 buffer did you buy? Ive used dpms and rock river arms buffers with no problems

( o Y o )
im not really sure what brand it is. I just asked my friend and he had one spare so he gave it to me. Hes not sure what brand it is either

#15 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Alright so now i got this thing working fine. I got a new buffer, cut it, sanded it down so it wont get stuck, and now i have EPIC recoil. Now the problem is that my bolt isnt locking back...I dont think the bolt is really rounded or anything. I dont know what the problem is, my bolt catch seems to have been acting up for a few months now. What could it be? Could it be that the buffer is really heavy so it doesnt give the catch enough time to engage?

#16 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Im also thinking about ordering a new bolt catch/impact block/whatever the hell i need from the pro shop. Im also thinking about doing the bolt catch mod, but it seems a bit too difficult for a newbie like me. Whats the phone number and hours so that i could order these things from kwa? Thanks

#17 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

When you pull on the charging handle does the bolt cycle to the rear smoothly and fully? or do you feel binding and catching? If it's binding or not cycling smooth it's possible that your bolt isn't travelling far back enough, causing the bolt catch to not have enough time to raise properly.

#18 FlubberDucky

FlubberDucky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Postakiraspeedstar, on 24 February 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

When you pull on the charging handle does the bolt cycle to the rear smoothly and fully? or do you feel binding and catching? If it's binding or not cycling smooth it's possible that your bolt isn't travelling far back enough, causing the bolt catch to not have enough time to raise properly.
Its perfectly smooth and operates flawlessly besides the fact that the bolt wont lock back. The buffer has been cut perfectly and its just like if the stock buffer was in there. Its just that it wont lock back and i have no idea what the problem is.

#19 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,509 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostFlubberDucky, on 24 February 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Im also thinking about ordering a new bolt catch/impact block/whatever the hell i need from the pro shop. Im also thinking about doing the bolt catch mod, but it seems a bit too difficult for a newbie like me. Whats the phone number and hours so that i could order these things from kwa? Thanks
For Questions, Warranty Service, RMA, and ProShop:
http://www.kwausa.com/support
E-mail Address:
sales@kwausa.com (Wholesale / New Dealer Account)
marketing@kwausa.com (Press / Advertisements / Events)
webmaster@kwausa.com (Webmaster - Website Technical Issues)
Telephone Numbers
1.626.581.1777 (Voice)
1.626.581.0777 (Fax)
Address
KWA PERFORMANCE INDUSTRIES, INC.
18571 E. Gale Ave.
City of Industry, CA 91748-1339
USA
Operating Hours
Monday to Friday
8:30AM-5:30PM PST

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lm4, mod, a2 buffer