#1 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Rock Climbing, RS Shooting and Tactics Courses

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Has anyone else had a problem removing the barrel nut? Mine is on here so tight that I bent my upper receiver trying to get it off. I had less trouble removing it from my real steel rifle. I sent in a ticket checking on the availabilty of a new upper. Does anyone know of a drop in replacement?

Edit: I found that I am not the only person having issues. Hopefully I hear back from the Pro shop soon.

Edited by Huntsman82, 18 February 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#2 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Did you try to power it off or did you use a mallet to tap the wrench? Most people who muscled it off also damaged their gun.

#3 snoopy

snoopy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I muscled mine off for it to budge. It was a pain in the butt to remove mine. I have an LM4C with a serial number under 1900.

#4 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

I tried both ways. First I tried to use a mallet here at work. After that didn't work and cracked the frame I got pissed and went full tilt on it and it snapped. I know that I made a mistake somewhere, but there is no need to have it on so tight. Oh well I'll order a new one and start over.

If anyone used a vice how did you place the receiver in it? I think that this could have also hurt my causes.

#5 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostHuntsman82, on 18 February 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

If anyone used a vice how did you place the receiver in it? I think that this could have also hurt my causes.
I put the upper receiver's locking lugs (the two parts where they contact and mate with the lower receiver) secured in the vice. This was after the fact that I snapped my first receiver trying to secure the whole receiver in the vice. So it works with the vice clamped on just those two lugs.

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

From what I understand you have to melt the Locktite before trying anything.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 18 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#7 ky2970

ky2970

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Here's the tried and true method that's worked for me on tons of LM4s, Obviously you'll need an AR wrench for this.

-Once you've disassembled the upper to only the barrel nut retaining the barrel, reattach it to your lower.
-Insert a mag.
-Sit in a chair and place the LM4 with the stock planted on the deck. Place the mag, lower, and pistol grip between your legs.
-Get a hairdryer and heat the barrel nut. Don't worry about overheating/melting anything.
-Once you've heated it up for about 2 minutes, place the AR wrench onto the delta ring.
-Use your left hand to push down on top of the wrench thus pushing onto the delta ring and use your right hand to torque.
-Don't force anything. If you're turning it with a lot of force already and it's still not moving, heat it up again. and try again.
-Be patient or else you risk breaking it.

Edited by ky2970, 18 February 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#8 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Rgr that thanks guys. I got it off at work but I did crack the upper by the ejection port. I ordered a new upper and jb welded the old one for now.

Once I removed it I realized that my troy battle rail will not work :( It has a special barrel nut that is threaded slightly different. Hope this helps anyone that may have looked into one of these.

#9 ky2970

ky2970

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Is your Troy rail a real or Madbull one?

#10 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Real steel. I took it off my BCM 14.5 middy. Replaced it with a 13" troy VTAC alpha rail.

#11 Viking Six (GDT-1)

Viking Six (GDT-1)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Crye Precision, LBT, Eagle Ind., S&S precision, Naval Special Warfare Development Group, C.A.G., MARSOC, Development Team Six, Group 3 Gold Team Detachment 01.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks to you guys my barrel came off without a hitch! blow dryer, barrel nut wrench, brother holding it down, solid whack and bam thing came loose and no cracks or breaks!

#12 ky2970

ky2970

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostViking Six (GDT-1), on 22 February 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Thanks to you guys my barrel came off without a hitch! blow dryer, barrel nut wrench, brother holding it down, solid whack and bam thing came loose and no cracks or breaks!

Haha yeah two people makes everything a million times easier! Good to hear your LM4 didn't become another statistic.

#13 Viking Six (GDT-1)

Viking Six (GDT-1)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Crye Precision, LBT, Eagle Ind., S&S precision, Naval Special Warfare Development Group, C.A.G., MARSOC, Development Team Six, Group 3 Gold Team Detachment 01.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Its actually a first for me, normally whatever can go wrong (and sometimes what can't) will go wrong haha. Now all i need is someone who can re-thread the upper so it can take RS rail systems. :shiftyninja:

#14 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'm glad my failures helped you lol. I got my new upper in from the pro shop and got her all put together. I would really like to get mine rethreaded as well. I have a few RS rails just collecting dust.

#15 Viking Six (GDT-1)

Viking Six (GDT-1)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

i was told to use a Steel milspec barrel nut and wrench, to forcibly rethread the upper, but that makes my spine shiver just thinking about it. I would definitely prefer having it done proper.

#16 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Same here. I started to do that and decided other wise. i have some nice AEG rails sitting around too. Maybe on my nest GBBR

#17 crazyfox

crazyfox

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

Just so I am clear for when I do this. The barrel nut has clockwise threads or counter clockwise threads... i.e. Lefty loosey or righty loosey. I already screwed this up with my flash hider, but luckily nothing was damaged before i figured out my mistake.

Thanks

Edited by crazyfox, 23 February 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#18 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

View Postcrazyfox, on 23 February 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Just so I am clear for when I do this. The barrel nut has clockwise threads or counter clockwise threads... i.e. Lefty loosey or righty loosey. I already screwed this up with my flash hider, but luckily nothing was damaged before i figured out my mistake.

Thanks
The barrel nut is CW, lefty loosey, like a jar of peanut butter, or a bottle of your favorite beverage!

#19 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Unlike the flash hider the barrel nut is positive threads. If you were looking down the barrel then it would be lefty loosy.

#20 Theshank

Theshank

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Took mine off last night, heated up the barrel nut with a heat gun, with gun laying on its side I used ar tool and it came off with just wrenching it down.  ( heat is the key ), I installed the guarder bucking with OEM barrel and hop up unit. Test to come soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users