• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Antoci

Michael Antoci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Recently I tried to remove my flash hider off of my SR7. I was using an interchangeable hex key set (using he 1.5 mm key) and i started to unscrew the small hex key at the bottom of the flash hider and all of a sudden...half of the hex key bit snapped off into the hole. I've tried to unscrew manually with a wrench but no luck. Any advice?

#2 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

As long as you're replacing the flash hider with another orange muzzle device or working on the barrel and then replacing the orange flash hider we can discuss this, but if you intend to replace it with anything not-orange it's a forbidden topic.

Is the Allen wrench blocking the hole or is the hole accessible?  You may be able to use another slightly larger Allen wrench and insert with a small hammer but you may have to drill it out if you stripped the hex out of it.  Once the Allen screw is out heat the compensator to melt the Locktite and unscrew clockwise (righty-removie) 'cuz these are reverse threaded.

-- Chuck

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,606 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostMichael Antoci, on 15 February 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Recently I tried to remove my flash hider off of my SR7. I was using an interchangeable hex key set (using he 1.5 mm key) and i started to unscrew the small hex key at the bottom of the flash hider and all of a sudden...half of the hex key bit snapped off into the hole. I've tried to unscrew manually with a wrench but no luck. Any advice?
My advice is please refrain from posting the same topic twice.  Follow Chuck's advice to a solution.

#4 Michael Antoci

Michael Antoci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

My bad, It was an accident.

#5 Michael Antoci

Michael Antoci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostChuck S, on 15 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

As long as you're replacing the flash hider with another orange muzzle device or working on the barrel and then replacing the orange flash hider we can discuss this, but if you intend to replace it with anything not-orange it's a forbidden topic.

Is the Allen wrench blocking the hole or is the hole accessible?  You may be able to use another slightly larger Allen wrench and insert with a small hammer but you may have to drill it out if you stripped the hex out of it.  Once the Allen screw is out heat the compensator to melt the Locktite and unscrew clockwise (righty-removie) 'cuz these are reverse threaded.

-- Chuck
My intentions are: to remove the RIS and install a custom kit I've been working on and the tool I was using had multiple detachable keys and (used the 1.5 mm key) half of the removable bit got stuck inside of the key hole on the flash hider.

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,606 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostMichael Antoci, on 16 February 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

My bad, It was an accident.
It happens, no worries.

#7 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Stuck inside the hex will probably require drilling the wrench out  unless there's a bit of wrench you can grab..  The "ball end" wrenches are weak in the shaft area and easily broken leaving nothing to grab.

The inside end of the Allen set screw is imbedded in the barrel so it must come out first or you'll bugger the threads.

-- Chuck

#8 Siyx

Siyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Quick question but why is it taboo to talk about or remove the orange tip here? Is it just an American thing because in Canada we don't require the orange tip?
In fact I don't believe any of my guns came with an orange tip (all purchased new).

#9 Ethan

Ethan

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, shooting airsoft and real steel, shooting blue jays, knives, and mountain biking

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostSiyx, on 14 May 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Quick question but why is it taboo to talk about or remove the orange tip here? Is it just an American thing because in Canada we don't require the orange tip?
In fact I don't believe any of my guns came with an orange tip (all purchased new).
well the government says you have to have a orange tip on any airsoft gun and for reasons they don't want you to remove It so you can't make it look real and scare the poop out of the people

Edited by Ethan, 14 May 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#10 Siyx

Siyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

So it's an American thing, Ok thanks for clarifying, I just couldn't figure out why it was such a big deal but I looked up some US laws and it's true (not only that but it apparently voids your warranty if you remove it). Some of our Canadian guns come with either cleared out bits, usually smoked clear or a big ugly warning label that states it's not a toy.

#11 Siyx

Siyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Point proven (i think). I just took delivery of my KM4A1 today and opened the box (which looked rough with a lot of the packing chewed up or missing but was sealed) and there was a plastic red tip cover in the box but a metal black flash hider installed on the gun (no red tip at all to be seen)
On the box is a sticker stating that it is for sale in Canada ONLY @385fps with .20g BB's. No cleared out parts, all metal.

This really made me happy as the red tip in the bush gives you away far too easily.

#12 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Everyone takes the orange tip off as soon as the 45 day warranty expires; some before.  No one has ever been convicted or broken any "law" cuz' there really ain't any law other than for guns sold in interstate commerce gotta have the tip.  That is, retailers gotta have a orange tip.  Once you own it you can remove it if you want.

However, it remains KWA policy to not discuss how to remove the orange tip -- and this is their form so they make the rules.  :)

-- Chuck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SR7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users