8 replies to this topic

#1 greenchiller

greenchiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Well,

Not long after receiving my m9 a small piece broke off the external cylinder, meaning that i had to buy a new one from the kwa store and have it shipped all the way to the uk. Now that i have it installed, it should be working fine, however the cylinder does not move smoothly on the tracks, when it is fully extended it tends to stick there, meaning that when firing, it will often not blowback correctly and end up firing off several shots at once, using an unholy amount of gas in doing so. I dismantled the slide again and noticed that there was some excess material sticking out where the piece had been injection molded so I very carefully shaved this off and re-assembled everything - now it fires better, I will usually get off three or four good shots before a long burst, but it still is not working properly. What can i do? Could the part KWA sent me be faulty?

The second issue is that something seems to have gone wrong in the cocking mechanism and the gun will only cock if it is leaning upwards. yeah. And i know a lot less about this one because i haven't yet disassembled the cocking mechanism. If anyone could shed some light on this one it'd be much appreciated. I really need your help.

Thanks for reading

#2 greenchiller

greenchiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Update:

I put up a couple of videos to give a better idea of what is going wrong

#3 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

This piece that you are talking about... the one that broke. Is it part 320? The part with two arms that keeps the cylinder on track? Both arms broke off on my M9 and had it replaced. The cylinder may stick and hold up due to the fact that the arms aren't smooth with the cylinder yet, but that shouldn't affect performance. In fact, with both of my cylinder return springs properly attached to part 320 and the cylinder, my cylinder still sticks due to the fact that I swapped out my broken part 320 with a new one.

The edges/excess material... where exactly did you find this? As some excess material is meant to be on the two arms that keep the cylinder on track to keep part 320 in place with the entire slide. It locks into place with these notches in the frame...

Judging by the video, your gun's gas cylinder seems to be fine. When you pull the slide back slightly it is good that the cylinder is still engaged to the hop up/barrel. If it were to pull away immediately, you'd lose major gas efficiency the second gas sends the slide back, less gas will expand into the barrel. So, making sure that cylinder stays touching the barrel is a good thing, as it helps ensure a tight seal when the gas is released out of the magazine and into the barrel.

The main problem is this full auto you're experiencing, as well as the hammer not staying cocked back after racking slide. My diagnosis for the latter problem is that you may have lost the safety cam (part 36) during reassembly of part 320... Looking on the KWA website, they have updated their parts diagram, which is of no use to me as I remember the parts by their old numbers so bear with me here. So part 320 is now part 14, the breach...

Another thought: If possible, try to see if parts 59 and 83 are in the gun. These are the safety lever plunger spring (small) and the plunger spring.... Not helpful names but it's essentially a tiny plunger and plunger spring that when the safety is locked down, this plunger activates part 36 (the safety cam) and decocks your gun. This is why I think your gun is messed up even though the safety is off. Check these parts, please get back to me on that.

I'm also thinking about your trigger transfer bar... I'll get back to you if I think of anything there. I'm saying all these things to you so you can be aware of possibilities...

Now onto the full auto issue, have you modified your gun in any way?

#4 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Not sure this helps, but my working gun shows neither of these problems:

Video 1:  Without a magazine my cylinder retracts with the slide, not like this one.  There is a hesitation with a magazine in place.  Shoots perfectly at 320fps (0.25gr BB).

Video 2:  Sticking cylinder may be preventing normal slide cycling.

Love the blue guns (seriously).

-- Chuck

#5 greenchiller

greenchiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Im going to use this as a reference http://www.kwausa.co...-1215099217.jpg

It was part #312 that i had replaced, the excess material was definitely excess from the manufacturing process, where it had been injection molded.

I wasn't sure about the external cylinder sticking, but i remember that it didn't do that when the gun was new.

Part 36 is still there, working fine, and all the pins and springs around the safety lever are working fine.

I actually just took the gun apart, including disassembling the entire body, and i deduced that it was part 64, the spring had become too loose , so i bent it back the wrong way to make it stronger, now it works fine! hurray!

but i'm still no closer to solving the issue with the cylinder.

I am confused by your reference to parts 59 and 83, From the parts list I have, they seem to be completely unrelated to the safety lever. Either way I assure you that they are all there and functional to my knowledge.

And no, i have not modified it in any way.

Thanks for your help

#6 greenchiller

greenchiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Ok well this is interesting. Tried firing it again, it now seems to be working perfectly. firing single shots every time, perhaps the new part just needed time to wear itself in.

Thanks for your help anyway, and i have a feeling i might need it again at some point.

#7 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Glad to hear that it worked itself out. Please let us know how the gun is in the future. Yeah KWA has updated the parts list parts 59 and 83 are 48 and 49 in the parts list picture you've linked us.

#8 MultipleParadox

MultipleParadox

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Wouldn't the sticking cylinder be a symtpom of swelling hopup bucking?

A swelled bucking might retract when drying; that would also explain that it is now working fine after letting it sit for a while

That wouldn't explain the hammer not cocking itself correctly though

Just throwing some thoughts here

#9 greenchiller

greenchiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

After I disassembled it entirely, I deduced that it was part #64 that was not strong enough, so I removed it from it's housing and stretched it the wrong direction to strengthen the spring. When I re-assembled everything it worked fine.

My guess is that by stretching the spring I fixed the problem with the hammer, and by some happy coincidence, the other part that i bought new had worn itself in at the exact same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users