• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John333

John333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

I've got a 945 with the metal slide (WGC catalog #OT-SL-945T) installed and it's worked for a couple of years with no problem.  Lately though I'm experiencing very sluggish return of the slide and often I need to complete the movement with my thumb.  I'm guessing the recoil spring needs to be replaced/upgraged but I'm not seeing much in the way of springs specific to the 945, or the ones I do see have been "out of stock" for a while now.  Will any upgrade aftermarket 1911 variant spring work (i.e. one made for a WA or TM, or even the KSC 1911) or do I just need a stock recoil spring?

#2 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Have you checked for lubrication on the slide?

#3 John333

John333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

Just tried it, adding more lubrication than usual.  Without a mag inserted it moves fully forward now, albeit without much "snap" (I can live with that), but once a mag is inserted it stops right as it's about to strip off the first bb, just stops without any indication of a jam or obstruction in the path.  Once the slide is forward (by thumb) it does cycle as I fire. It reacted the same way with the 3 mags I have.  Initially when I cleaned it Monday I did put a little less lubrication on it as sand was a factor in a game Sunday.  The pistol is at least 4 years old and this is the original spring if that matters (regarding wear/tear/lifespan).

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,544 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

[quote name='John333' date='05 May 2009 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1241536364' post='8720']
Just tried it, adding more lubrication than usual.  Without a mag inserted it moves fully forward now, albeit without much "snap" (I can live with that), but once a mag is inserted it stops right as it's about to strip off the first bb, just stops without any indication of a jam or obstruction in the path.  Once the slide is forward (by thumb) it does cycle as I fire. It reacted the same way with the 3 mags I have.  Initially when I cleaned it Monday I did put a little less lubrication on it as sand was a factor in a game Sunday.  The pistol is at least 4 years old and this is the original spring if that matters (regarding wear/tear/lifespan).
[/quote

Ok, this may be a long shot. If the slide got bent in a fall, eg: you dropped the gun, then the sides of the slide may no longer be parallel, they bow in. This causes friction against the frame.  This has happened to me with an M23 Glock. You can bend the sides of the slide out a bit.  This will reduce the friction and allow the slide to move freely.  Be careful, it is only a slight adjustment that you need.  

Please let me know if this works...it did for me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users