• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Spif

Spif

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

So like a dummy noob, I was leaving green gas in my mags.  As soon as I learned that was a bad idea, I emptied them all but it was too late... many of my mags now have leaky valves.  My understanding is that the valve springs weaken fairly quickly and can't keep the valves shut after that.

So I know how to break down the mags but I need a tool to get the two valves out.

Will this one work?

It has a tool at both ends, one for the large release valve and one for the small fill valve.

But the description says "for Marui Hi Capa 5.1".  Is that compatible with the KWA PMag valves?

Thanks for any assistance.

-s

Here's the picture from that page:

Posted Image

#2 Spif

Spif

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Side question: what lubricant would you recommend for the valve rings?

Also, how often is reasonable to break them down and clean/lubricate the mags?

Thanks much.

-s

#3 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I don't believe that key will work with our magazines.

Also who said it was bad to leave GG or Propane (w/ silicone) in the magazine? It's usually common practice to leave some gas inside of the magazines for storage.

#4 JonathanNCP

JonathanNCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have the Modify Valve Tool (see link)
http://www.airsoftar...tool-p-952.html

#5 xKingSizex

xKingSizex

Customer Service Manager

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Umm, airsoft...

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Check our Pro Shop for the official KWA GBBR Magazine Release Valve Key at http://store.kwausa....seValveKey.aspx

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Posted Image

This one works on more than just the release valve...

-- Chuck

#7 Spif

Spif

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostChuck S, on 27 November 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

-- Chuck

This will extract the fill valve too?  It looks way too fat for the fill valve.

-s

#8 Spif

Spif

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postakiraspeedstar, on 27 November 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Also who said it was bad to leave GG or Propane (w/ silicone) in the magazine? It's usually common practice to leave some gas inside of the magazines for storage.

Two techs at AirsoftSmith.com both said that it would kill my mags and sure enough, 6 of 7 of my mags are now useless.  They won't hold gas now.  As soon as I pump gas into them it leaks out of the release valves.  Some of the fill valves are leaky too.

They showed me how to remove the valves and we applied lithium grease to the o-rings to see if that was the problem;  But they still leak anyway.  The mags are only 3 months old and I've only used them at 3 events so storing them with gas seems like the most plausible explanation for why they went bad so quickly.

-s

Edited by Spif, 27 November 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#9 netpoc

netpoc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Well then... Can we get someone from KWA to weigh in here? What is the proper way to store our mags?

#10 dos_Santos

dos_Santos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

I am in the throws of leaking gas mags.  I submitted a repair ticket, called the Pro Shop, and talked to customer support.  I want to replace all the orings on my PMAG including the spacer (item 13) o-rings (item 22). BTW, the o-rings installed on item 13 can not be purchased.  I have a crushed one, but of course there's no warranty now, so I have a $60 paper weight.  I am actually talking with two o-ring manufacturers to custom make all the o-rings for the PMAGs (and STANAGs too, but they are slightly different in that STANAGs don't require o-ring item 22).

Also, tech support could not tell me for sure the proper torque values for the valves, which is super critical.  He did guess about 8 in/lbs. Be very careful using the tool to secure the valves. It shouldn't take much torque to seat the o-rings. For example on the airplanes I work on, installing a new o-ring on a drain plug for an oil resevoir takes about 25 in/lbs to secure. That's barely hand tight.

#11 JonathanNCP

JonathanNCP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I replaced the o-rings in my release valves (the two small o-rings) with danco 60 and 61 and it stopped my leaking. I tried working with KWA but they said it wasnt my o-rings, they dont sell them, and they dont know what size they are anyways. i practically bought every small o-ring I could find and finally used those two (got them from blackhawk hardware in Charlotte NC). On the release valve there are three sizes of o-rings, i replaced the smallest two and i dont remember which was the 60 or the 61. I also picked up some o-rings i found at airsoftarmoryusa which was labelled "pistol orings" and look like they may work in the future (but i havent tried them out since #60 and #61 are working. I also used 20wt silicon oil from a local hobby shop. Hope this helps.

#12 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have used propane since new.  I do NOT put silicone in the mag while filling.  I do lubricate ALL o-rings during after action cleaning. I also keep propane in mag during non use.  I have over 50,000 rounds thru my lm4 and have never had an issue. I do make sure my fill valvs are properly tightened.  

While i use 30 wt pure silicone oil I use very little.  I believe many of the problems are caused by using too much oil.

#13 dos_Santos

dos_Santos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Good info, I am concerned about the biggest o-ring on the release valve (1/32 CS and 3/8 ID).  I'll look up those 60 and 61's.  Thanks again!

#14 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks Jonathan for the O-Ring sizes, I've been meaning to do the same thing and buying pretty much every small o-ring I could find to see if it'd work but this holiday season is keeping me way to busy, now I don't have to. Thanks again!

#15 MultipleParadox

MultipleParadox

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I find the "propane in mag is bad" story a bit odd, as I've always kept them under pressure (not necessarily full, mixed with light weight silicon oil) and for te record it never caused me an issues yet

I just bought some used WE gen1 mags and 4 of them leaks but that's how WE made their mags :P it's a known issue as far as I'm concerned.

But on our side of the border, it's the rule of thumb that gets spread to everyone: leave some gas in there. Nobody complaines it broke their mags...

When I bought my LM4 I had 4 mags, 2 of which wouldn't keep their gas (output valve open in permanence), I just removed them, cleaned, relube quickly, tightened with some torque, problem solved.

My guess about OP's issue: Valve not tight enough?

Edited by MultipleParadox, 29 November 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#16 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

what he said.....

#17 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Haha, I stopped reading after the first line or so haha.

Edited by akiraspeedstar, 28 November 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#18 MultipleParadox

MultipleParadox

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Sorry for the messy post guys, Tapatalk screwed it completely after an edit, will edit when I get back on a computer :P

#19 MultipleParadox

MultipleParadox

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

There, messy post cleaned up

#20 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostChuck S, on 27 November 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

-- Chuck

The one I got may have been a defect, but I found I had to shave the teeth a little (very little) thinner to not damage the release valves. Also I shaved down the face so that the teeth were a little longer. It works 1000x better after modifying it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magazine, valve, tool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users