• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Parashutte

Parashutte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hello, I want to exchange my outer barrel for something around 10 inch so I can have my mock suppressor inside my rail, I'm not sure about compatiblity and I looked around the kwa forum and I did not found exact anwser, only people saying they heard Users try them, I`m looking to buy an Dytac 10.5 Inch night hawk ( black or silver I`m not sure yet) or maybe a madbull DD government steel version
Will any of those fit my kwa lm4?

http://www.redwolfai...A_M4_Silver.htm

http://www.redwolfai...eel_version.htm

http://www.redwolfai...ck_Gas_Tube.htm

Edited by Parashutte, 30 January 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#2 Elx3248

Elx3248

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

those will NOT fit. these however will.

http://www.evike.com/products/41419/

http://shop.ehobbyas...ml#.UutGkPldXVU

#3 Parashutte

Parashutte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostElx3248, on 30 January 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

So specify KWC m4 will fit, thanks a lot!

#4 Parashutte

Parashutte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Also is silver even an option? They do look good alone, but I'm not sure how it will look inside a rail.. anyone got any picture?

#5 apilar

apilar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

here is mine with a TAN outer barrel. it looks kinda silver in the light. I wasn't a huge fan of it so i have since painted it black.

https://www.dropbox....MG_00000065.jpg

#6 netpoc

netpoc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

You do know the stock LM4 outer barrel is a 2 piece design that can be converted to around 10" from the original 14.5"?

#7 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,304 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

View Postnetpoc, on 31 January 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

You do know the stock LM4 outer barrel is a 2 piece design that can be converted to around 10" from the original 14.5"?
That's what I would do...

#8 Parashutte

Parashutte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

I did not know that, thanks I'll try to look into it

Edited by Parashutte, 01 February 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#9 Parashutte

Parashutte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

How exactly can I remove the second part? lol

#10 netpoc

netpoc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Well you may need to heat the joint just beyond the gas block/front sight post in order to free up the connection between the outer barrel extension and the outer barrel. Then you can remove the outer barrel extension by spinning it clockwise with a strap wrench, and if all else fails a pipe wrench.

Edited by netpoc, 02 February 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#11 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

Heat will soften the LockTite enough to remove the "outer barrel, front" (#64).  You do have the manual for this gun, right?  :)  Usually takes a lot of heat, it's not designed to be taken apart.

Using a pipe wrench may break the upper receiver which seems to be made of a dozen parts unlike the monolithic machined forging of the real M4 Carbine.

-- Chuck

#12 stillhere

stillhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

I did this last night.  I used a simple blow dryer to heat the barrel until it was almost too hot to touch then used channel locks to remove the front part of the barrel.  It was a complete PITA, requiring the torque from the channel locks pretty much until the barrel extension came off.  I also wiped the threads down while they were still hot to try and get all the residual locktite off.  Go slowly to make sure you're not damaging anything you want to keep pretty, and more heat seemed to help (at one point, the locktite started to ooze out of the joint, that's when I started trying to remove the barrel part).  In the end, I think it's a pretty sweet looking, significantly shorter barrel.

One note, I trashed the extension with the channel locks.  I tried wrapping the extension with a rubber grip pad but had very little luck.  If it were mine to do over again, I'd try wrapping the barrel in either duct tape or electrical tape.  It's a whole lot easier to get tape residue off than re-shape and re-black the barrel extension.  If I weren't convinced I'd never leave an sbr type build, I'd be more upset...

Just my $.02.  Good Luck!

Andrew

edited to correct typos

Edited by stillhere, 02 February 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#13 Parashutte

Parashutte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Poststillhere, on 02 February 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I did this last night.  I used a simple blow dryer to heat the barrel until it was almost too hot to touch then used channel locks to remove the front part of the barrel.  It was a complete PITA, requiring the torque from the channel locks pretty much until the barrel extension came off.  I also wiped the threads down while they were still hot to try and get all the residual locktite off.  Go slowly to make sure you're not damaging anything you want to keep pretty, and more heat seemed to help (at one point, the locktite started to ooze out of the joint, that's when I started trying to remove the barrel part).  In the end, I think it's a pretty sweet looking, significantly shorter barrel.

One note, I trashed the extension with the channel locks.  I tried wrapping the extension with a rubber grip pad but had very little luck.  If it were mine to do over again, I'd try wrapping the barrel in either duct tape or electrical tape.  It's a whole lot easier to get tape residue off than re-shape and re-black the barrel extension.  If I weren't convinced I'd never leave an sbr type build, I'd be more upset...

Just my $.02.  Good Luck!

Andrew

edited to correct typos

Nice, thanks for the information! My problem is the locktite they put on my gun is crazy or old or I DONT KNOW! but removing the delta ring was so freaking hard I had to cut it in the end, I had all the tool to do it too. I tried with a channel lock and hair dryer first, no luck. Then I borrowed a heat gun from a friend and heated the thing until it was impossible to touch, I couldn't even removed it with the AR wrench I had bought and the game to hold it in place. I'll just buy a shorter barrel.. It sound a lot less complicated. Thanks for the information everyone tho! But something is wrong with my locktite lol

#14 apilar

apilar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Yeah that locktite is insane... I was in your boat and had to cut my delta right off also.. using the armourers wrench and everything... no hope!

Also, when trying to separate the barrel, if you twist it just a bit to tighten it more it can break the locktite and help you unscrew it. I used the hair dryer, and then boiling water and thankfully me and my brother are fairly strong and managed to get it apart with our hands!

Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users