• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azianinvazn

azianinvazn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Just got a mark 3 and I must say the gun is delicious. One thing I was curious and also worried about is the thumb safety. When the hammer is decocked it can still be slightly pushed up, just enough to lock the slide. A potential problem I see is either sweeping it on accident or having to push the safety back down to pull back the slide. I was wondering if it was normal to be able to push up the thumb safety like this even when the hammer isnt cocked.

#2 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi azianinvazn, I have this with my MK 2 thumb safety as well... It seems like all the MK series 1911s are able to have their safeties partially engaged while the hammer is up. You shouldn't need to worry though, as the gun can't be fired if the hammer is not cocked anyway.

#3 azianinvazn

azianinvazn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

thanks, good to know! and yeah i guess it doesnt matter much just weird and potentially could be annoying if i hit it while its holstered or something

#4 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postazianinvazn, on 23 August 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

thanks, good to know! and yeah i guess it doesnt matter much just weird and potentially could be annoying if i hit it while its holstered or something
I agree, it is a little weird and a little annoying knowing that the real 1911 can't be put into safe unless the hammer is cocked... but the MK series are beautiful pistols and I think all the other pros outweigh this tiny con.

#5 azianinvazn

azianinvazn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostOutlaw1995, on 23 August 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

I agree, it is a little weird and a little annoying knowing that the real 1911 can't be put into safe unless the hammer is cocked... but the MK series are beautiful pistols and I think all the other pros outweigh this tiny con.

true that man. i freaking love this gun!

#6 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just learn the 1911 Grip style and you wont have to worry about sweeping the safety up.  When you hold the weapon you want your thumb to ride on top of the safety, effectively pushing it down and out of the way.  With the proper grip you can disengage both safeties of the 1911 with no worries.

#7 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

Engaging the safety lock on a M1911 is not a combat skill that needs to be done one-handed.  Same for the airsoft versions.  You'll wear the edge of your firing hand thumb out flipping it up all the time.  It's OK to use your support hand to safe the pistol, it's already there on the pistol anyway.

Note Viet's comment about keeping your thumb on top of the safety lock all the time.  Safe or fire.  Simple to depress the safety and vital to keep it off-safe.  Air softs I've seen have much less positive detents than my real M1911s so thumb-on-top is even more vital.   The ambidextrous levers increase the "half-safe" potential if you're not riding the safety.  Just learn and practice the steel gun technique.

-- Chuck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users