4 replies to this topic

#1 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

I was looking at the stock the other day and was wondering what was the best way to make retractable stock have 2 or 3 more options for length when retracting/extracting it. I noticed that it was a simple little divet in the rod and was figuring that this would be pretty easy if I had the right equipment.

I was also wondering if a 3 position stock is consistent with the real steel version of the MP7? I saw a video online with one of the product developers at H&K showing the real steel and mentioning that the production model would have a 3-position stock. This would make sense because I'm sure a PDW would need that kind of flexibility in tight quarters and CQB situations. Thanx.   :thumbsup:

Attached Files

#2 papabois

papabois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Playing with toys.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

View Postjotohomomoto, on 20 January 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

I was looking at the stock the other day and was wondering what was the best way to make retractable stock have 2 or 3 more options for length when retracting/extracting it. I noticed that it was a simple little divet in the rod and was figuring that this would be pretty easy if I had the right equipment.

I was also wondering if a 3 position stock is consistent with the real steel version of the MP7? I saw a video online with one of the product developers at H&K showing the real steel and mentioning that the production model would have a 3-position stock. This would make sense because I'm sure a PDW would need that kind of flexibility in tight quarters and CQB situations. Thanx.   :thumbsup:

I just did that mod.  Simply mark out where you want the new grooves, and use the file (with some sort of guide), to make the locking grooves.
On the right slider, two grooves on the top.  On the left slider, two grooves on the bottom.  I did it cause I was bored.  After the mod, the only useful setting I like is the fully extended setting.  But meh...

Edited by papabois, 20 January 2010 - 04:30 PM.

#3 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

View Postpapabois, on 20 January 2010 - 04:30 PM, said:

After the mod, the only useful setting I like is the fully extended setting.  But meh...

Well, the shorter stock position would be for when I'm trying to lay down some "lead," i.e., plastic, when in the front seat of a Suburban trying to break contact from an ambush.  :jump:  :gun: ...and I could also see myself getting "bored."  B)

#4 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

View Postpapabois, on 20 January 2010 - 04:30 PM, said:

I just did that mod.  Simply mark out where you want the new grooves, and use the file (with some sort of guide), to make the locking grooves.
On the right slider, two grooves on the top.  On the left slider, two grooves on the bottom.  I did it cause I was bored.  After the mod, the only useful setting I like is the fully extended setting.  But meh...

What kind of file did you use? I'm not that "handy" so I need specifics.

#5 papabois

papabois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Playing with toys.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

I searched my buddies tool box, and used his regular metal file.  I used the edge of it though, because it was around 1/8" thick.  Perfect enough to replicate the width of the slot.  After I made the marks, I used a dremel and diamond wheel, to make a thin slot at the aproximate depth of the originals.  This slot was used as a guide for a 1/8" thick round file (hobby-store-type).  The now half-round-ish slot was used as a guide for the edge of the final file, so that the round shape of the previous file groove, would make the square-edge of the final file, not deviate from center.

I don't have access to a machine shop, with a good vise, precision grinder or mill.  Hand work is all I can do, so great care and patience is needed.  Don't rush-job it, cause if you slip, pig-metal cannot be anodized I beleive.  If ya slip a little bit, a sharpy prmenant marker should help a bit.

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users