Battery SR10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wetsubailey

wetsubailey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Time with my kids (who like airsoft), military, airsoft, electronics.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I am a brand new KWA owner- forgive me if I have put this in the wrong area.  I am the very proud owner of a KWA M4 SR10.  I am currently running a 9.6v 1600 Mah battery (nickel metal hydrate).  I have heard all sorts of hoopla on the Lipo batteries.  This is where I need more experienced players advice.

I am a rifleman or team leader.  I DO NOT want high rate of fire- our team has a SAW person for that.  I want accuracy and as many shots as I can before swapping batteries.  What do I need or what?  I am completely ignorant of Lipo batteries.  Again, I want accuracy and consistant power- I do not want to lay down a barrage of fire.  The most I do is a few bursts of fire to break contact or to initiate an ambush.

Do I stick with NiMh?  Do I want Lipo?  If so do I want the 11.1 Lipo or the lesser voltage?  I don't want to cook my gun!  Last note, I'm paying an ex wife and putting 2 kids through college, so hopefully a battery that I don't have to take a second mortgage out for!

Thanks everyone!

#2 iFrost

iFrost

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

First, great pick of a first KWA rifle, I love my SR10 :)
Accuracy doesn't matter much with a battery to be honest. If you really really want accuracy, a tighter barrel might do it, but battery wise there's not too much.
You COULD get XT60s in your gun. They are like deans except work much better and are easier to install. That would increase the trigger response meaning maybe some better accuracy because you just pick out a target and shoot, no time to run. The XT60s would take the place of your Taimya connection, just so you know. And it wouldn't be a break in the wallet, you can pick up a pack of 5 pairs for pretty cheap.

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

From my limited experience it really doesn't matter which battery you have.  I have a couple of 8.4v NIMH batteries, two 7.4v LiPOs, and a single 11.1v LiPO.  (The LiPO and charger are from the Pro Shop here.)  The gun functions fine with any of them but the 11.1v LiPO is the most satisfying as it has the fastest trigger response.  It also has the highest cyclic rate.

Cyclic rate with an AEG is directly proportional to battery voltage.  The 11.1LiPO has a crazy 1200rpm cyclic rate.  The 8.4v NIMH run a more realistic 800rpm.

I'm using the Burst Wizard King Kong device in the gun.  This device is rarely mentioned here but for me is a valuable accessory and just installs between the battery and the gun -- Plug-n-Play.  I get three (3) rounds down range with the selector on Auto.  Good for ammo conservation and, frankly, with the dispersion of BBs makes hitting a small target a little easier.  This will work great with your existing battery and especially with the 11.1v LiPO.  Fits under the handguard of my KM4-CQB.  There are more options for the BWKK which include controlling the Auto cyclic rate but just the 3-round burst works very well for me.

-- Chuck

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

View Postwetsubailey, on 19 January 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

I am a brand new KWA owner- forgive me if I have put this in the wrong area.  I am the very proud owner of a KWA M4 SR10.  I am currently running a 9.6v 1600 Mah battery (nickel metal hydrate).  I have heard all sorts of hoopla on the Lipo batteries.  This is where I need more experienced players advice.

I am a rifleman or team leader.  I DO NOT want high rate of fire- our team has a SAW person for that.  I want accuracy and as many shots as I can before swapping batteries.  What do I need or what?  I am completely ignorant of Lipo batteries.  Again, I want accuracy and consistant power- I do not want to lay down a barrage of fire.  The most I do is a few bursts of fire to break contact or to initiate an ambush.

Do I stick with NiMh?  Do I want Lipo?  If so do I want the 11.1 Lipo or the lesser voltage?  I don't want to cook my gun!  Last note, I'm paying an ex wife and putting 2 kids through college, so hopefully a battery that I don't have to take a second mortgage out for!

Thanks everyone!
Hi Wetsubailey - Welcome to the KWA Forums!  For your role you are most likely fine with the 9.6 battery you are using.  However, I love LiPos and would never go back to NiMh batteries...read on.  As has been mentioned, a LiPo will not increase or affect range and accuracy but it will increase ROF and trigger response which could be an advantage in your role.  LiPo's are also better in the cold....they are not affected as much as NiMh batteries.

As far as how long they last, you get about 1.5 rounds per mAh on the battery in a stock KWA assuming you are firing short FA bursts.  The SR10 can hold about a 1200-1600 mAh battery in the crane stock.  LiPos have more mAh per volume than NiMh.  So, in theory LiPo trumps NiMh here.  In reality, you can fit about the same mAh battery in the crane stock regardless of chemical type.  So, what I do is get several LiPo's and swap in the field if required.

LiPos are no longer the expensive upgrades they once were.  See here: http://www.hobbyking...RSOFT_Pack.html

I use these and the 1400 mAh 15C version and as you can see, they are very inexpensive. (Note: KWA recommends that you use 15C lithium batteries to avoid premature trigger wear from arcing.) If you order 2, you can get them shipped to your door from the Washington State warehouse in a few days for under $25 bucks.

Lastly, you will need a LiPo balancing charger.  This is an investment that will pay-off.  I use this one as do a number of KWA staff: http://www.hobbyking...RSOFT_Pack.html

Note: You may need to add a Tamiya plug to one of the charging wires.  Since this is primary set up for R/C racing, and no one uses Tamiya plugs anymore, they are not always set up with this type of adapter.  I would recommend changing to Deans (or XT60's) on the battery and gun anyway.  If you decide to do that, let us know so we can give you some pointers first.

Note: There is a very nice charger in the Pro Shop too along with several batteries that will fit your gun.

Hope this helps.

#5 wetsubailey

wetsubailey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Time with my kids (who like airsoft), military, airsoft, electronics.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

[You COULD get XT60s in your gun. They are like deans except work much better and are easier to install. ]

How hard are these to install?  I can still use my charger with an adapter for it?

#6 wetsubailey

wetsubailey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thank you all- I apppreciate it.  I guess I was trying to be greedy.  I was trying to pack 2000-2200 Mah in the stock so i could shoot all day so to speak..  lol.

Are Elite pretty good (or can I mention brand names here without getting in trouble?).  Also- which battery do I avoid?  I've heard bad about Fire-something (imported).  I've seen Venom, Tenergy and Elite for sure.

Thanks again everyone!

#7 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have a vast collection of Tenergy batteries and they are very good.  If you want to stick with a realistic ROF you can go with a 7.4V lipo or just stick with your 9.6V nimh batteries however one thing to consider is that you can pack so much more battery in a lipo than a nimh.  That is one of the reasons that lipo has become a standard in many high end AEG's due to the fact that you can pack so much in such a small package.  
And lipos will not cause a nuclear explosion or melt your gun.  With any battery you have to know how to maintain it safely and as long as you know all the "do's" and "don'ts" you will be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery, SR10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users