Jump to content


LIPO....DECIDING WHAT TO GET?


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 major

major

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

KWA Staff/Engineers,

Could you please provide us (KWA Lipo lovers) with the minimum amps and maximum amps required to run our motor on safely and efficiently?  Was reading all the threads and comments on this forum and it just amazed me how people can get confused with using LiPO batteries. I don't claim to be an expert on Lipo. I for one got confused at the beginning and after spending countless hours on the net now I'm still unsure if I bought the right Lipo's.  I'm currently using five different kinds of Lipos (Rhino,Electrifly&Thunder) and except for the voltage (11.1V) all have different C rating and MaH rating.  By providing us with this necessary information (min. amps=  max. amps=)  then we could configure and use the right Lipo up to our liking. Secondly, this also helps your company since you will have less/no warranty claims on stripped gears using lipos, and less/no pissed off customer's using wrong Lipo... :(    

Most forums says AEG motor run's from 15 amps to 30 amps is this right?, so I wouldn't need anything above 30 amps then..On Radix's Lipo Battery Warning thread: "The maximum recommended LiPo battery specification is 11.1V 1600mah 18A.......1600 MaH @ 18A..18A is actually 18 amps constant discharge and 28.8 amps burst discharge (max) right?  Like my first assumption in buying Lipos, I was just concerned about the 18A or 18C  but if I did that then I could have easily bought a lower C rating like a 15C rating 3,000 MaH battery (which would've been an overkill since the max amps would be 45 amps. 15C X 3000 mah=45,000/45 amps) for readers info:  http://www.airthunder.com/lipoabc.aspx

#2 brooklyn468

brooklyn468

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

View Postvsenriquez, on Aug 14 2008, 01:39 AM, said:

KWA Staff/Engineers,

Could you please provide us (KWA Lipo lovers) with the minimum amps and maximum amps required to run our motor on safely and efficiently?  Was reading all the threads and comments on this forum and it just amazed me how people can get confused with using LiPO batteries. I don't claim to be an expert on Lipo. I for one got confused at the beginning and after spending countless hours on the net now I'm still unsure if I bought the right Lipo's.  I'm currently using five different kinds of Lipos (Rhino,Electrifly&Thunder) and except for the voltage (11.1V) all have different C rating and MaH rating.  By providing us with this necessary information (min. amps=  max. amps=)  then we could configure and use the right Lipo up to our liking. Secondly, this also helps your company since you will have less/no warranty claims on stripped gears using lipos, and less/no pissed off customer's using wrong Lipo... :(    

Most forums says AEG motor run's from 15 amps to 30 amps is this right?, so I wouldn't need anything above 30 amps then..On Radix's Lipo Battery Warning thread: "The maximum recommended LiPo battery specification is 11.1V 1600mah 18A.......1600 MaH @ 18A..18A is actually 18 amps constant discharge and 28.8 amps burst discharge (max) right?  Like my first assumption in buying Lipos, I was just concerned about the 18A or 18C  but if I did that then I could have easily bought a lower C rating like a 15C rating 3,000 MaH battery (which would've been an overkill since the max amps would be 45 amps. 15C X 3000 mah=45,000/45 amps) for readers info:  http://www.airthunder.com/lipoabc.aspx

No offence but I understood almost none of that. That is why I went NIMH  :lol:

#3 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

View Postbrooklyn468, on Aug 14 2008, 03:47 PM, said:

No offence but I understood almost none of that. That is why I went NIMH  :lol:

If you aren't sure.  why post anything?

Now, to answer vsenriquez's question.  It is a little confusing.  And I personally do not believe 18A (continuous is the maximum. AMP)  I know most AEG can run through 20-30amp without any issues.  

Less look at the formula

Discharge x Mah / 1000 = AMP (continuous)

Using my APEX lipo on my TM P90

15c x 2100mah / 1000 = 31.5A  

So my TM P90 is already running over 31 amp for gee... how many years?! 4-5? Not a single issue.

I know some people on the net recommend 20c or more.  If you plug that in the formula and use 2100mah capacity you'll get 42A.   Most failure I've seen comes from people using 30c.  so using 2100mah again you'll get 63A... that's WAY too much.

We need to look closer into this but I can safely say KWA can take more 30-35 Amh.  and I wouldn't use anything more than 2100mah.  Unless I get one with lower C rating.

#4 major

major

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the response Allizard!  u gave me a little peace of mind to run my M4S @ 31.5 amps :) . "a little" coz now I don't know if I'm still gonna use my underpowered lipos..hahaha?  one is 16.5 amps only (7.4V  1100 mah 15C) is this safe and wouldn't my internals be damaged by switching from a 30+ amp lipo to a 16 amp?

Btw, TM P90 rocks!  I hope KWA makes one in the future....

Edited by vsenriquez, 15 August 2008 - 11:01 AM.


#5 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

View Postvsenriquez, on Aug 15 2008, 11:58 AM, said:

Thanks for the response Allizard!  u gave me a little peace of mind to run my M4S @ 31.5 amps :) . "a little" coz now I don't know if I'm still gonna use my underpowered lipos..hahaha?  one is 16.5 amps only (7.4V  1100 mah 15C) is this safe and wouldn't my internals be damaged by switching from a 30+ amp lipo to a 16 amp?

Btw, TM P90 rocks!  I hope KWA makes one in the future....

You are BELOW 18A that's listed for the original spec.  Why wouldn't it be safe?!




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users