12 replies to this topic

#1 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

I have been sent a few sample valves to review that are designed to lower the fps of the KWA MP9.  I did not make these, I am not selling these, I am just doing an independent review.

I am using brand new stock KWA nozzles for these tests to minimize discrepancies from wear.

Posted Image

The following picture shows a stock KWA MP9 valve (Left), Beveled Rear valve (middle), and Flat Rear valve (right):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beveled Rear Valve installed in a new nozzle:

Posted Image

Flat Rear Valve installed in new Nozzle:

Posted Image

All chronoing was done on an XCortech Chronograph:

Posted Image

Temperature was 50 degrees F, shots were 10 seconds apart.  Mags were filled with Propane from a new bottle, fired five times then changed.  After the valve was changed the mags were gassed back up and fired five times each again.  Using 0.20 gram airsoft elite bb's.  Each valve had 5 shots fired from a fresh charged mag, and repeated, for 6 different magazines.

Posted Image

Each valve was chronoed 30 times, for a total of 90 chronograph runs.  The results:

Posted Image

I did not see much difference between the two aftermarket valves on the average:

332.4 fps for the beveled back and 329.5 fps for the flat back.

Both parts delivered an average drop in fps by about 40 fps making these the perfect thing to get that MP9 legal for your local cqb place.

#2 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Great review, Dobey! :thumbsup: Buying a MP9 has become more and more temping as more of these quality aftermkaret parts are coming out for it.

#3 Italian13

Italian13

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Now KWA just needs to stock replacement bolts and pistons, then I will make a low FPS bolt for when its too hot.  Great data, Dobey!

#4 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

neat,  

where'd you find these?

#5 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

DangerWerx on airsoft retreat is making them.

#6 tmp90freak

tmp90freak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

i know these are made for the mp9, but could they work for the mp7?

#7 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

tmp90freak, on 19 April 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

i know these are made for the mp9, but could they work for the mp7?

Yep. Piano Black from Airsoft-Barracks installed one recently into his KWA MP7.

Here's Piano Black's data.

Posted Image

#8 dropkickdragout

dropkickdragout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

this is just what i need for my hot kmp9, perfect....thread delivers.

#9 glocktastic

glocktastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi dobey,

I discovered this forum about 3 months ago when I was first reading about the KWA MP9. I was expecting this gun to fire a 0.2g bb at approx 390fps and this was confirmed on the various Youtube Videos too.

I am in England. When I tested the gun at the shop, I asked them about it “firing hot”. They said they had not heard that before. They chrono’ed it for me at 290fps so I was a bit surprised!

Later on, I saw your KWA MP9 Aftermarket Valve Review. Your results show that a brand-new “American Region” KWA MP9 gun fires 0.2g bb at 370fps but the speed can be lowered by using a different valve. I think an importer, who buys the guns from KWA, will specify the “requirements” for their region and then KWA make the gun conform to those rules: For example, someone said there is a 1-joule limit in Japan. This would fire a 0.2 bb at 328fps.

My gun is supplied by ASG and it has a “1 joule” label on the flash hider. As it shoots at a much lower speed than the standard “American” version, I assumed that it would have a beveled-back or a flat-back valve like ones shown in your review but it is a rocket valve as I can see the 3-wings if I look through the nozzle.

The KWA MP9 page on the ASG website is here:
http://www.actionspo...&backPageID=211
You can get the assembly-diagram and parts-list by clicking on the “exploded Drawings” tab and then clicking on the link “16799_MP9_A1 Black.pdf”

How can I speed up my gun, if it already has the fastest valve in it? I really want to use this gun for target shooting rather than skirmishing, so the faster the better. There must be another part of the design that causes the slower speed.

Thanks,
Chris.

#10 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:55 AM

All your really doing is restricting the gas flow that goes down the barrel.  You can do that by making the valve body larger and longer like the valves I reviewed, you can also change the spring tension so the valve closes faster.  If you wanted more fps and already have a rocket valve simply install a stiffer spring in front of the valve.  This will cause the gun to consume more gas per shot as a side effect.

#11 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hey Forum, just for fun I will be recreating some of Dobey's tests with the DangerWerx flute valve on the latest MP9.  Just as a setup, this thing is a monster out of box.  I have the KMP7 and love it, but the MP9 is so intense, yet simple, I actually think I may like it better.  It's solid, loud (my ears are still ringing) and really, really fast, both ROF and FPS.  I'll be posting more soon (probably next weekend as I am traveling) but out of the box it's looking like 404+FPS and close to 21-22RPS for initial performance figures.

My goal is to repeat a portion of Dobey's tests and determin how the the gun performs on the CQB field.  Stay tuned, I will try to do Dobey's post justice with a confirmatory review.  :gun:

#12 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

As promised in an earlier post I have tested the Danger Werx flute valve on a new KMP9 to determine its affect on FPS performance and to see whether or not my KMP9 could be the CBB monster I hoped for.  As you will see the results are similar to what Dobey produced.

Test Setup

Inside Temp 75 degrees
KSC .20 perfect BB's
Xcortech x3200 Chronograph
Hop-up off
Propellant – Green gas

Each test was with 10 rounds fired at approximately 10 second intervals.  The mag was loaded and rested indoors for 10+ minutes at 75 degrees.  Testing occurred outdoors at approximately 85 degrees.  The mag was not left in the sun so warming would have been minimal in the test.  Note that all testing was completed with one mag (I only have one to use…)

Stock Valve

Test 1

Ave FPS       389.6
  ROF             21.46 After 10 rounds
  ROF             22.08 Fresh mag

DanderWerx

Test 1                       Test 2

339.9       337.4
  340.5       319.6
  340.3       331.6
  323.7       330.1
  350.5       335.3
  324.1       318.4
  326.7       354.3
  309.8       343.3
  327.3       341.6
  302.3       351.8

Ave FPS       328.51     336.34
  ROF             22.6 after 10 rds 23.39 after 10 rds
  ROF             23.06 Fresh mag Subsequent tests 23+

Comments:  The reason I tested the Danger Werx flute valve was because I was intrigued by Dobey's tests and because I was looking for a CQB SMG that would fire fewer than 350FPS with .2 BB's.  Until now, I had shied away for the MP9 because I wasn't sure if there was a good solution or not.  However, as luck would have it, Father's day came and went and a new MP9 was part of the deal.  Now it was time to see if the modification would do the trick.

Looking at the table above the results are quite dramatic with an average reduction in FPS of 57.18. While the test is limited to one mag, I believe that it is representative of the results that would occur with other mags largely based on the tests that Dobey completed.  

With a drop in FPS you might expect a drop in field performance.  This is not the case. Remember, I was attempting to bring down the FPS for CQB which was clearly accomplished. But, I am reaching targets out past 100 (close to 120ft!) feet with .30 KSCs.  This makes it more than adequate for field play as a backup.

Regarding the increased ROF, it is only one round/sec but it is audible to me at anyway.  It makes this an intimidating weapon to say the least.  I can not say that the Danger Werx flute valve was the reason for the increase in ROF because I did do internal lubrication of the some moving parts and it's only a test of one.  Regardless, the current result is quite nice.  

There you have it, Danger Werx's flute valve for the KMP7 and KMP9A1 is a quality product that gets the job done.

Disclaimer: The Danger Werx flute valve is not officially endorse by KWA. Bare in mind that limiting the air flow to reduce FPS also increases  stress inside the cylinder. I have no long-term use data and therefore can not predict long-term results or potential problems, if any, as a result of this modification.  And as always when you do modifications to your gun,  you do so at your own risk.

#13 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Looks good. I'll be picking up a valve soon, as well, for my kmp9.  :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users