• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pillagerr

Pillagerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ok, so I got this fairly new 1911 Mark 4, and it fired inconsistently... meaning sometimes it would fire, sometimes just a "click" - with nothing.  At first, I thought it was a bad mag, no gas, etc.  But after further inspection, I found that my Impact Hammer #35 could flop up and down in the Impact Frame #34.  I read several postings about this, but nothing definitive.  This seems to be an issue for several KWA owners.  I stripped my gun down thinking it might be the alignment of the Sear Spring, or the Impact Hammer Lock.

After many headaches (what is up with that silly little Impact Pin #60?!)  I realized that my problem was the Impact Hammer #35 itself.  There is a pin on the thing that is not apparent in the schematic/parts diagram.

Here is what my broken part looks like:Attached File  1911shearedpin.jpg   77.57K   120 downloads

Here is what it is supposed to look like:  http://www.airsoftfi...-Hammer/138037/

Rather than first buy a new Impact Hammer and go through the hassle of tearing the trigger assembly apart, I'm gonna try to drill a hole in the Impact Hammer and put in a tiny piece of steel bar in there to see if I can short cut the fix with a stronger repair.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Had I known this was the issue with the gun, I probably could have saved myself about 3-4 hours.  I hope my discovery here and explanation will help you avoid the wasted time.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,650 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

Welcome to the Forums!  This is a very good post and a great way to start off.  Thank you for the writeup and looking forward to the outcome.

#3 Pillagerr

Pillagerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Update - I had to pull the inner frame out of the main frame in order to pull the impact hammer out of the impact frame.  You can follow the photos here to see how I went about creating a new impact hammer nub.

Attached File  kwa19112.jpg   73.14K   133 downloads

Now that everything is working, this gun rocks.  I'll be interested to see if I stressed the Impact Hammer by drilling on it.  The metal seemed to be good quality (not like that crummy pot metal we see in some of the other manufactures' guns.

Good Shooting!

Edited by Pillagerr, 25 March 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,650 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Very fine!

#5 colazz

colazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

i have the same problem
how long in mm was the piece that you've put in place of the old one ?
and did you put any glue on there?

#6 Pillagerr

Pillagerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

The bar is about 7 mm long.  There is no glue. Its stablized by friction.

#7 Ohno

Ohno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have got to the step where you drilled a hole and inserted the metal rod, what im having troubles with is how to position the impact spring in order to push against the rod. Any help would be appreciated.

#8 Pillagerr

Pillagerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

You've got to wind or pry the spring a little to apply pressure to the nub.  It is a real bugger and if you have any really small mechanics with tiny fingers... use them.  The impact Hammer should be forced to push down.  It only needs to flex when you are pushing a magazine up into the well.  Good luck!

Edited by Pillagerr, 19 June 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#9 TheBlott

TheBlott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

This is an excellent guide to fix this issue. But it requires a little technical know how to do, which I unfortunatley do not have. I have been on the search for part #35 for well over 8 months now since that little nub broke on me. And I have never been able to find one.

With the 2013 season right around the corner, does anyone know where one of these is available? The store here never seems to carry one.

Thanks for the help...

#10 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Give KWA a call to see if they have the part in stock. 626-581-1777 open weekdays 8:30 am to 5:30 pm PST, closed weekends/ holidays.

#11 TheBlott

TheBlott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I gave KWA a phone call and bingo, they had the art. Thanks for the advice.

#12 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostTheBlott, on 10 December 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

I gave KWA a phone call and bingo, they had the art. Thanks for the advice.
Glad it worked out alright.

#13 lebrao

lebrao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Guys, sorry to make a "topic rescue" but it's necessary.
I fixed my gun with a dentistry drill bit (diamond made) and a lot of patience (always use a lower drill rpm i.e. 3000~4000rpm).
Posted Image

After reassembling the gun, my mags couldn't be released with the gun close and "decocked", or else, being on "normal position.
My mags just could be released with the gun cocked, the reason is that i left a large pin outside of the hole, into the sides of Part #35.
Posted Image

The bad thing is to cock the gun to release the mag, the good news is that i found WHY this part #35 is broken.

IT´S NOT dry fire as KWA says, its the magazine that slips out the little nub used to hold the spring into the place!

My gun was never fired dry BUT i used it into a IPSC-A section and guess what?
The fast magazine changes during IPSC broke part #35!
Posted Image

So, my tip to you guys is ask KWA, WHY this bad projected part (the little nub) is messing our guns!
The impact hammer could be done with a curved spring, passing over the impact hammer, working properly and without more "nub issues".

I hope i could help you airsoft friends!

regardly,
Ricardo

Edited by lebrao, 06 May 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#14 lebrao

lebrao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Finally, for 1911 PTP owners, that have a original gun, without any issues.
The tip is as follows:
Posted Image
Just sand the Magazine a little bit and the magazine will never more snap the little nub at impact hammer.

KWA was advised by me of this engineering issue..

Regards,
Lebrão

#15 lebrao

lebrao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Postlebrao, on 11 May 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Finally, for 1911 PTP owners, that have a original gun, without any issues.
The tip is as follows:
Posted Image
Just sand the Magazine a little bit and the magazine will never more snap the little nub at impact hammer.

KWA was advised by me of this engineering issue..

Regards,
Lebrão
With the original #35 Impact Hammer
As you can see, the little nub is closer to the mag, even a sanded magazine.
Posted Image

Cya! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users