wobble

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MountainCommand

MountainCommand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies that make pockets light.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

As we all know the lm4 comes standard with some play between the uppers. It wasnt really ever a bother to me but since i was bored and had an idea. I thought i would try it just to see if my concept worked.

When looking carefully at how the upper and lower wobble i determined that it may be due to too much space left between the upper and lower. So, i went to my box of rc paint equipment, and found myself some pactra trim tape. Remember i am just trying to see if my concept will work in action.

Posted Image

Using the thickness close enough to the thickness of the receiver walls, i just simply applied the tape like so:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Make sure to wipe off any oil where you apply the tape or else it wont stick.

This is by no means a permanent modification, but just testing a hypothesis.

The results were positive! Using this thin trim tape, the receiver wobble is gone.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So by filling in the gap between the upper an lower, you can cut the wobble to essentially nothing.

Aluminum tape may also be a contender here for it is fairly thin and may have better adhesion. Duck tape will probably be too thick because if you put in too thick of a spacer the rear pin will not go all the way home.

Maybe even a feeler gauge could fix the wobble if it is thin enough? Throw out some ideas people and give it a shot. This is what i tried and it worked. Now i just have to see how long it lasts.

The only wobble left to fix would be the handguard wobble, and the carry handle rail wobble, which im too lazy to fix that right now.

#2 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Anyone try the magic pin from Ra-tech yet? Or the g&p pin that is similar to the magic pin? I have the g&p pin in my other gbbr's and they work great..eliminates ALL wobble. I was going to try the magic pin in the LM4 but I've got some rs takedown pins otw that I want to install (its got grim reaper logo engraved on them) maybe those will get rid of wobble too if the diameter is bigger I think I can make it work.
Sent from my DROID2

#3 bladerunner168

bladerunner168

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have tried both the RA Tech and G&P pins but they do not fit into the KWA, the diameter of the pins is larger than that of the KWA.

I have OCD when it comes to receiver wobble so I've just learnt to accept it.

#4 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postbladerunner168, on 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I have tried both the RA Tech and G&P pins but they do not fit into the KWA, the diameter of the pins is larger than that of the KWA.

I have OCD when it comes to receiver wobble so I've just learnt to accept it.
I had to dremel the holes larger in the lowers of my other gbbr's to make them fit..so they will probably work with a lil mod

Sent from my DROID2

#5 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

You guys have receiver wobble? Thats something I haven't experienced yet. How many rounds through the gun did you get that at? Or was it out of the box?

#6 bladerunner168

bladerunner168

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Mine had wobble out of the box.

#7 MountainCommand

MountainCommand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies that make pockets light.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Pretty much out of the box. I think its just the dimensions of the receiver that have allowed for the wobble.

Did any of you try to see if the pin would fit in the hole in the upper by itself? Just to see if that is the case, where the upper hole is larger than the lowers. That way you can narrow down the correct size needed to see if the wobble will stop.

#8 SuperFly

SuperFly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

I applied some aluminum tape to mine today, fixed the wobble. Feels solid now.

#9 Jatodude

Jatodude

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

I used this idea to eliminate my wobble completely. I was very surprised that although I don't think it's the source of the problem, my wobble was eliminated 100%.  I used one layer of duct tape, and one layer of packaging tape on top of that. It's not visible at all from outside of the gun, not even slightly. I think it'd be a really good idea if someone had the resources, to make pre-cut patterns of tape to solve this problem.  Too describe how much wobble I can feel, I might as well be trying to feel receiver wobble in a solid brick.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

#10 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Mine had wobble out of the box....I think I'll give this a try!

#11 kullwarrior

kullwarrior

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Immunology, Virus, Infectious Bacteria, Firearms

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 17 July 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Anyone try the magic pin from Ra-tech yet? Or the g&p pin that is similar to the magic pin? I have the g&p pin in my other gbbr's and they work great..eliminates ALL wobble. I was going to try the magic pin in the LM4 but I've got some rs takedown pins otw that I want to install (its got grim reaper logo engraved on them) maybe those will get rid of wobble too if the diameter is bigger I think I can make it work. Sent from my DROID2

I personally do NOT recommand those. If you tighten them, it makes the receiver tight, but if you split receiver while it's tighten, you WILL break the upper receiver. Broke one, took 6 months to get a replacement upper.

#12 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

It worked! I used 2 layers of aluminum tape(after one layer it was still a tad wobbly). However now the back receiver pin is a little harder to get in but still doable with just my hands. Also the tape is  very slightly visible( I probably could have done a better job).
Thanks for the advice!

#13 AzizaVFR

AzizaVFR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, machining, hot sauce, and Single Malt Scotch.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Of the six different .223 and two .22LR AR-15 platforms I own, except for the matched set from Sun Devil, have a little bit of wobble between the upper and lower receivers.  The LM4 is no exception. The wobble is part of the original design envisioned by Mr. Stoner.  It does not affect function, accuracy, or reliability.  All these little tricks to solidify the connection between the upper and lower units are an exercise in diminishing returns.

#14 titan8o8

titan8o8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Earplug under the rear take down pin. Cheap and easy fix. Work like the accuwedge for ARs

#15 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

Expanding on AzizaVFR's comments:  The use of anything flexible (gimmicks like the (In)AccuWedge or an earplug under the rear takedown pin)to stop receiver slop or "wobble" do not increase accuracy and can degrade the accuracy of the 5.56mm versions of this rifle as the flexibility does not place the parts in the same location for every shot.  

The little bit of receiver slop is consistently removed if there is nothing flexible pushing against your hold.  This degrade of accuracy is unlikely to be a major problem in airsoft but no help either. It's wasted effort on your part for either real or airsoft -- but it doesn't stop the sale of Accuwedges.  :)

True match grade M16/AR15 rifles, like those that compete at Camp Perry, are machined/bedded to very exact tolerances with nothing flexible between the receivers.  Note these are also only expected to shoot about 100 rounds in the course of a day.

-- Chuck

#16 -wigs-

-wigs-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

It's starting to be more prominent since I've broken the gun down multiple times. It effects nothing but it pisses me of when the entire top receiver wobbles while running. Anyone have good results using a magic pin. Or is the alumi tape the best bet. Mine has a noticeable gap on either side once it tilts to either

#17 Helix262

Helix262

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Pit bikes, Shooting my AR, and 4x4 Mudding

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

What i found worked best was AR-15 shims. I placed just one in the front and one in the rear pins and fixed mine altogether. My wobble had enough the bolt catch didn't function., and now works flawlessly again. Feels good an  solid like a RS now. here is a link to the shims. Cost about $23 with shipping. There's 10 to a pack.
http://www.brownells...-prod42002.aspx

#18 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

Press te "easy" button!  Thanks for the post.

#19 MuchMoore

MuchMoore

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the information Helix262, I will order a pack of those shortly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wobble

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users