Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Allizard, you have to stop teasing us. :popcorn:

#22 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,565 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Mossberg 500 12 gauge......and the job is done!

#23 JROC311

JROC311

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Seeking of thrills

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Very true! That's actually my go to home defense tool of choice. And you don't have to worry (as much) about who/what may be on the other side of your "zombie".

#24 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

View Postgcw360, on 10 January 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Mossberg 500 12 gauge......and the job is done!

Just the sound of the pump action coming from the other side of the door will have intruders running. That's why I have an iPhone app for that.  LMAO

#25 Grindstone

Grindstone

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Different strokes for different folks. If you really think you will never, ever need more than 30 rounds, then why bother buying spare mags for any gun? Why bother using a semi-auto anyway?
Because there is no definitive answer. No life-threatening situation is ever the same. Having a wide variety of techniques and skills available increases chances survival. Limiting your options is only going to hurt you. Thats why it is recommended that you train in every way possible for any situation imaginable. Strong hand hurt and useless? Train to shoot weak-side. Stove pipe? Train to quickly assess and clear the malfunction. Out of ammo and still engaged by threats? Drop that empty mag and insert a new one.
I will never, ever say "Oh, I won't need to do that" because I don't know. If I knew I was going to be shot at tomorrow going to Walmart, I wouldn't even go. If I knew I was going to get hit by a drunk driver that one Saturday night, I wouldn't have gone out. I was out, I was hit, but I was prepared by wearing a seatbelt.

For an item marketed as a training tool, it sure seems like there's a lot of flak on someone who wants to use it to train.

I'm not so worried about feed lips. They're replaceable and not expensive.

#26 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

You have just stated everything that i was thinking while participating in this thread, thankyou :clap:

However, the fact that the LM4 magazines....well, ANY GBB magazines aren't designed for dropping still stands....When will anyone start developing a durable magazine for GBB's? I was hoping that KWA would have done that before any other company did.

It sure would make airsoft THAT much more realistic.

Edited by plinky, 21 January 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#27 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

View Postplinky, on 21 January 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

You have just stated everything that i was thinking while participating in this thread, thankyou :clap:

However, the fact that the LM4 magazines....well, ANY GBB magazines aren't designed for dropping still stands....When will anyone start developing a durable magazine for GBB's? I was hoping that KWA would have done that before any other company did.

It sure would make airsoft THAT much more realistic.

bubble wrap, duct tape, and insulate your mags, it might help
OR
Get an otter box for them!
But seriously, I would really only recommend dropping these mags on grass or a pillow, and I would think anyone that spent an excess of $40 for one of the mags would agree. Dropping one of these things on something like cement just wouldn't be smart. I would assume dropping a AR15 pmag from a average height could even do some damage to those, like maybe the internal spring becoming misaligned or something. I always thought the reason they do those reloads is because they have a surplus of mags, and they're not going to go back and pick them up to reload them. Obviously (or hopefully) in airsoft, you will be keeping your mags and reloading them for reuse, so you really wouldn't want them to sustain any damage.
In the end, I would just recommend doing these tactical reloads on a soft surface, when you are not facing an opponent, and where they can be damaged
I hope this makes sense!

#28 mcnabb100

mcnabb100

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

View Postaaps59, on 21 January 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

OR
But seriously, I would really only recommend dropping these mags on grass or a pillow, and I would think anyone that spent an excess of $40 for one of the mags would agree. Dropping one of these things on something like cement just wouldn't be smart. I would assume dropping a AR15 pmag from a average height could even do some damage to those, like maybe the internal spring becoming misaligned or something. I always thought the reason they do those reloads is because they have a surplus of mags, and they're not going to go back and pick them up to reload them. Obviously (or hopefully) in airsoft, you will be keeping your mags and reloading them for reuse, so you really wouldn't want them to sustain any damage.
In the end, I would just recommend doing these tactical reloads on a soft surface, when you are not facing an opponent, and where they can be damaged
I hope this makes sense!
Pmags are actually very durable, more so than the aluminum GI mags. You can drive over them with a truck and they still work :)

With realsteel mags, they are quite a bit lighter when empty, so you can drop them as much as you want, with our airsoft mags they are heavy all the time because they must be able to withstand the high pressure of the green gas. The only way to make a "droppable" airsoft gas mag would be adding padding all over the mag.

Edited by mcnabb100, 22 January 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#29 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

View Postmcnabb100, on 22 January 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

The only way to make a "droppable" airsoft gas mag would be adding padding all over the mag.
Hence, the Otterbox UMPC (Ultimate Magazine Protection Case) is born. LOL

#30 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,565 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostOutlaw1995, on 22 January 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Hence, the Otterbox UMPC (Ultimate Magazine Protection Case) is born. LOL
Not to be confused with UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center)

#31 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Haha. But back on topic: plinky: after all is said and done, ultimately, you can choose to train however you want. If you want to drop the mag, the gun's yours, the mag is yours, so if you want go for it. Obviously it's not recommended but you have the freedom to whatever you want. Just don't go back to the store you bought it from asking for a refund if the magazine breaks. Lol

#32 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Kinda got scared when veteran posters, 2 moderators, and even Allizard jumped on me for even asking the question. But yes, I have repeated multiple times, I know that dropping those mags is not recommended, albeit in an indirect way.

Yeah, I will drop the mags. If one breaks, well, its my fault after all.

Maybe its time for me, myself, to implement some sort of shock absorbing system on my own. Perhaps lining the mag with sorbothane will help...

Edit: A quick google search tells me that many of the Pmag-styled airsoft GAS magazines are pretty drop resistant...

Edited by plinky, 22 January 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#33 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

View Postplinky, on 22 January 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Edit: A quick google search tells me that many of the Pmag-styled airsoft GAS magazines are pretty drop resistant...

Try it, record it, share it.
You never know!

#34 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postaaps59, on 22 January 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Try it, record it, share it.
You never know!

I'll probably slap a ranger plate onto the pmag if its to real steel dimensions (which is probably the case) to act as a nice, incredibly durable buffer for the fill valve and liquid rubber the feed lips, which i hope is steel or anodized aluminum.

After protecting my expensive mag, will do :thumbsup:

#35 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postplinky, on 22 January 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I'll probably slap a ranger plate onto the pmag if its to real steel dimensions (which is probably the case) to act as a nice, incredibly durable buffer for the fill valve and liquid rubber the feed lips, which i hope is steel or anodized aluminum.

After protecting my expensive mag, will do :thumbsup:

Yeah at least that'll protect it a bit

#36 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Kinda got scared when veteran posters, 2 moderators, and even Allizard jumped on me for even asking the question. But yes, I have repeated multiple times, I know that dropping those mags is not recommended, albeit in an indirect way.

Maybe its time for me, myself, to implement some sort of shock absorbing system on my own. Perhaps lining the mag with sorbothane will help...

Plinky - Sorry for jumping on you.  The whole idea is to provide recommendations and advice that will result in the most positive outcome.  I would not recommend dropping any of your gear, but with that said, you need to play the way that will be the most rewarding to you.  So have fun and let us know how it all works out.

And if you do come up with a way to help the mags be more durable in a fall, by all means please let us know.

#37 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thankyou for the support guys. I will probably release a vid of it sometime in the future and post it on the forums. Waiting for that :tsuki:  to come out

#38 Grindstone

Grindstone

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

View Postaaps59, on 21 January 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

OR
I hope this makes sense!
Currently, I use a WE M4 GBBR and I do occasionally "tactically" drop my mags. Usually, I'm in a "woodland" enviroment, so 99% of the time it lands in relatively soft dirt. Sometimes it'll hit a rock. Really, the only thing I'm worried about damaging are the feed lips. Everything else is either not going to get damaged, or is easily repairable.
Also, dropping a real AR mag is nothing. If it's unloaded, it's too light to even hurt your toes. If it's loaded, you might spring out a few rounds. Overall most mags are very tough, PMAGs and GIs included. A lot of training treats mags as expendible when in a combat situation. When I first went through basic, they had us toss the empty mags into our BDU tops. The last time I did M9 training two years ago, they had us drop the mags on the range floor and reload.

For the most part, gas mags land the way they were dropped. If you drop it straight out of your gun (no Costa-flipping them into the next county), they should be fine.

I actually drop the mags from my M9 PTP all the time (base plates have long since broken off with just regular use) into the dirt. The only thing that makes me cringe is the massive cleaning I have to do afterward to get the gritty dirt out of all the crevasses.

Edited by Grindstone, 25 January 2012 - 07:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users