• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 walther38

walther38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

In comparisom with 4.5 mm BB form Crossman or WinGun (Gletcher) (they are in basic identical) having so many discrepancies to real TT-33 that they resemble TT-33 only from the larger distance, the KWA replica is so far better (or best). Besides, the 4.5 mm steel BBs are not accepted in airsoft, milsim and reenacting. They are to dangerous.
TT-33 from KWA (without orange front) resembles the dimensions of real pistol in 97%. The maximal discrepancies are in the range 1-1.5 mm and only in some places.
However, there are some places in which it could be better:
- the outher barrel colour. In all pre-war and war periods all TT’s had not blued barrels – only the colour of naked steel.
- the shape of trigger is not correct, it’s lacking characteristic shape.
- the height and shape of the front sight is not correct.
- the absence of the imitation of firing pin retainer pin
- the absence of a ear on the bottom of the magazine
- the disassembly is going as in oruginal, however, in my piece the barrel could not be pulled ot of the slide as it should be. The cause – 0.05 mm differences in the dimentions in interacting parts. Slight use of the file solved this easily.

How it works. As a side arm is perfect. At 5 m distance and fast shooting all magazine (10 rounds) are located within the circle of 8-10 cm.
The fitting of parts is even better than in original pistols (some 1 to 2 mm were acceptable).
The construction material seems to be aluminum not ZnAl because replica is not as heavy as could be expected. In general replica is almost perfectly mastered. It is accepting original front barrel bushing, slide catch spring and even original magazines, hovewer due to construction of ASG they can be inserted freely to about 10 mm from the bottom. On the other hand the replica magazine can be inserted into the real pistol and only 5 mm remains.
The markings on the top of slide are in good accordance with the period - two letters and three digits, star (for Tula arsenal) and the year (1941). It is a pity that they are not present on tha left side of the frame. The grips are perefectly replicated, even the number of combs and the logo as well as their fixing to the frame.
Concluding: this replica is the best (nowadays) replica of TT-33 (Tulski Tokarev) on the market that in dimmentions and functioning resembles very well the original pistol.
I am attaching a comparison of two TT's - KWA and from Izhevsk (1944)
Attached File  Img_2957a.jpg   36.67K   17 downloadsAttached File  Img_2961a.jpg   38.93K   19 downloads
I have one technical question - the trigger is wobbling on some pin attaching it to the trigger bar. It is claimed in manual that this is a kind of safety but without explanation how it works.

#2 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'd have to take a look at the TT-33 to have a better look at how that kind of safety works. However, talking to the tech Spiggy, there is a way to modify the trigger to get rid of the safety mechanism. Perhaps, if you are interested, you can call in and ask for Spiggy. I'm sure you two would have a good chat about the TT-33 in comparison to the real Tokeravs. :)

#3 walther38

walther38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hello!
There are two ways to do this modification.
1. Just SuperGlue trigger bar to the trigger itself but at the right location of both parts each to other. Horizontal edges have to be parallel. Than JBWeld the pin (small dots are enough). At the end file assisted reshaping of the upper front edge of the trigger. Finally sandpaper down to 1000 and a thinny coat of matte/semimatte(semigloss) of black. Masking tape on trigger bar is just a precaution.
2. Get an original TT-33 trigger bar and Dremel cut (grinding disk) a slot in the lower rear part od the trigger that will accept the small extrusion in the KWA frame (the lower part of trigger window).
It has to be fitted by trials to get it work smoothly. But this will take not more than 30-60 min.
After my trial I have found that installing this modified trigger restores an original "half-cocking" safety of TT.
The last picture shows KWA TT-33 with original modified trigger.
Attached File  trigger modif1.jpg   22.48K   34 downloadsAttached File  trigger modif2.jpg   29.73K   44 downloadsAttached File  trigger modif3.jpg   134.79K   33 downloadsAttached File  trigger modif4.jpg   35.62K   38 downloadsAttached File  trigger modif5.jpg   45.46K   27 downloads

Additionally, the grips are so accurate, comparing to originals that you can replace them very easily.
----
I have checked this extrusion element. It is about 3 mm wide and 5 mm in height. It protects the replica trigger from moving to far when squised. In original TT as well as in M1911 and Vis the magazine catch played this role

Edited by walther38, 21 August 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#4 walther38

walther38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

As the replica top slide markings state "1941" it would be not so easy to replace grips for those of the war time - wooden that were introduced in 1942 (the reason was simple - shortage of knowledge how to make the bakelite ones by staff in Izhevsk armory factory as Tula was evacuated by the end of 1941. But if you have engraving skills the number "1" in 1941 coulb be reshaped for "4" and then the checkered wooden (originally made from birch) grips would be the best.
And last very tiny detail - the Russian star is not sharp as US star is.

Edited by walther38, 21 August 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#5 walther38

walther38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Here is my latest version of KWA TT after really small customization and weathering to resemble worn during 4 years of use piece.

http://img444.images...php?id=kwa9.jpg

Edited by walther38, 23 August 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#6 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Looks amazing walther!  I'm not much of a classic gun fan, but I do appreciate the little details.  Hope you enjoy it!

#7 walther38

walther38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostViet, on 23 August 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Looks amazing walther!  I'm not much of a classic gun fan, but I do appreciate the little details.  Hope you enjoy it!

Don't think that details are giving the taste?
I enjoy it very much. Keep going this way.

What about this?

Attached Files

#8 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

That looks good too.  Hmm, i've been considering picking up a TT-33 when the AKG's are released.  Need my eastern bloc loadout if you know what I mean.  I can't be running a HK45 or SIG and be shooting an AK, now that just doesn't look right.  I might try to recreate that TT-33 when I do though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TT-33, 6mm GBB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users