Possibly Counterfeit Extended Magazine Not Working Properly?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul202

Paul202

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

I bought an extended magazine from some retailer a couple months ago. It was advised as a KWA M-Series extended magazine, but it was only $20.00. I thought it was too good to be true,and as it turns out, it was. Since I live in Michigan, it gets pretty cold during winter. Therefore, I haven't been firing my 18C that much. Since a couple of days ago, I have been firing my GBB's again. But, I have had some trouble with my extended mag. First of all, i have trouble loading it into he mag well. It just doesn't want to go in. Also, thre is very noticeable seem lined and other signs of not-to-great quality, which makes me think it is not a genuine KWA product. Has anybody experienced problems of these sorts?

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,565 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Can you post some pictures?

#3 Paul202

Paul202

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

http://s1174.photobu...ended magazine/
Sorry for the iPod pictures.

#4 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostPaul202, on 04 February 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

http://s1174.photobu...ded%20magazine/
Sorry for the iPod pictures.
Difficult to tell by looking at the parts themselves on the mag but judging by the finish on the exterior it may very well be a cheap knock-off.  I have never seen a KWA mag with that kind of rough finish.  And if a KWA mag does not fit well into a KWA gun that it was designed for, I could say with certainty that there is a high probablility that it is not made by KWA for their guns.

#5 thatguyx

thatguyx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

it looks like the AABB extended mags for ksc/kwa gbbs.  I see the non-locking magazine follower, which is made out of cheap plastic that breaks easily when you don't put on the base plate correctly (as seen in one of the pictures).  Also if I'm not mistaken the magazine lip looks like plastic, all my legit kwa mags came with metal magazine lips.  The rough exterior looks similar to my AABB mags as well, but I only have the FPG mag to compare.

Those mags are ok for their price.  At first they didn't hold enough gas to shoot 49bbs, which kind of defeated the purpose of an extended mag.  After some lubing and lots of use, I'm getting about 1.5 mags per a fill.  It's a crap shoot as i've heard of some people getting great mags or practically useless mags.  Personally, after some TLC they are worth it (only because I was having problems finding kwa extended mags at a price I wanted to spend at the time)

#6 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

Can you post a picture of the magazine?

#7 thatguyx

thatguyx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Here are some pictures of the KWA FPG magazine vs the AABB extended magazines.

Posted Image
IMAG0324.jpg by thatguyx, on Flickr
(KWA on the left, AABB on the right)

Notice the magazine lip, KWA's is metal, AABB is plastic.  Below that the feeding spring lock... KWA has one, AABB nothing just more plastic.  You can also slightly see a difference in the texture as well as the fitment (from normal wear)

Posted Image
IMAG0325 by thatguyx, on Flickr
(KWA top, AABB bottom)

Here's another shot where you can quickly see the difference in textures.  Pay attention to the slide stop, you can see the worn KWA metal magazine lip vs the plastic texture of the AABB magazine lip

Posted Image
IMAG0327.jpg by thatguyx, on Flickr
(KWA left, AABB right)

Once again metal on the left, plastic on the right.  

Posted Image
IMAG0326.jpg by thatguyx, on Flickr
(KWA left, AABB right)

Here we have metal on the left and broken plastic on the right.

I hope this helps.

Edited by thatguyx, 10 March 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,565 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Very helpful thanks for posting.

#9 SavageInsight

SavageInsight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Music, Freerunning (Parkour), Rock Climbing, etc.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I've seen these go for sale on Tiger HK airsoft, RSOV.com, and a few others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users