• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Most GBB/GBBR magazines will fail or break if dropped. A few of my friends have dropped my mags by accident and bad things happen when those magazines hit the ground...

One thing I notice about many gas magazines is that they are made of poor quality metal and have a hefty weight to them, thus causing severe damage to the magazine when dropped.

Would I be able to drop the mags that come with the LM4?

They seem to be based off of the Magpul PMAG, so I assume that these magazines will be plastic on the outside. This gives me the hope that maybe i can do speed reloads at home with the LM4 with no fear of my expensive magazines breaking/exploding in horrible ways. And not have to worry about stupid people that i lend my expensive mags to.

#2 Hitman07

Hitman07

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:YouTube, Airsoft/Paintball, and Computers

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

I wouldnt drop a 50 dollar mag on the ground unless it was grass...even then I would cringe. Now my real guns...sure. They are made for it

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Welcome to the Forums plinky.  Even with a polymer body the feed lips would be metal and it would be ill advised to drop the mag.

#4 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Dropping your mag puts pressure on your base plate of the mag.  If that breaks, the "underbelly" (so to speak) of the mag is exposed, giving opportunity to defect or destroy your fill valve. If you didn't already, I would suggest to buy a dump pouch and practice reloads using the pouch to store your used mags. Unless you want to chance it, try not to drop your mags.

#5 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

yeah i do have a dump pouch. Reason that I ask this question is, well, the LM4 is supposed to be a training weapon, right? Practicing speed reloads where you straight up DROP the magazines carries over to real steel.

It sucks that _every_ single gbb magazine has to be like this. Maybe one could 'reinforce' the magazines using liquid rubber, applying it to the outside of the feed lips where it wouldnt interfere with the feeding of the BB's and use a magpul rubber loop to protect the baseplate.....

I just want to be able to drop my magazines. Thanks for the help, guys.

Edited by plinky, 06 January 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#6 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

I don't suggest dropping your magazines, but you are right: it is a training weapon and must be used the same way you are going to use the real deal. Back to magazines, when you said a rubber loop, I immediately thought about MagPul's magpul... lol. It does suck that mostly all gbb magazines can't be dropped on the floor. I guess we just have to live with it. Sorry that you're having trouble.

#7 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

yeah the Magpul magpul is kinda confusing because magpul is now a brand name for many things.

Nice latin sig btw, If you want peace, prepare for war.

#8 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks dude! :)

#9 Guest_Allizard_*

Guest_Allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

What you see on Magpul Dynamics video is NOT how Law Enforcement agency conducts their training.   In fact, all the training events I've been to never once saw a combat reload.

#10 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

A very good friend of mine is an 18 year Marine veteran with time in Iraq.  He is now a tactical weapons instruct and sergeant on the local police department.  He tells me that tactical training rule of thumb is not to drop the mag but to switch with one hand and put the empty mag in a safe pocket.  It has been found that dropping mags tends to do the following:
  • Leave the mag at a crime scene = loss of money
  • Leave live rounds at the crime scene = leaving live rounds in the pubic. Often the mag has rounds remaining due to any number of reasons including jamming

#11 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

On the other hand, I have seen my brother's training videos when he was in Iraq (he's a tier 1 instructor for a private security company) and they drop mags all the time. Those companies are so stinking' rich, they just don't care.

#12 Guest_Allizard_*

Guest_Allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

it's really simple...

Are you training to SAVE lives?         Or
Are you training to KILL someone?

#13 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Or, are you playing airsoft, and like me, prefer not to break my stuff?

#14 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

i would just like to be able to perform a combat reload effectively. I am training to defend myself, simple as that. Having many skills at my disposal would only help that.

I'd rather have the ability to chamber a round quickly into my AR-15 than worry about breaking a $25 magazine in a life-threatening situation, especially when I don't have the time to make that tactical reload.

#15 Guest_Allizard_*

Guest_Allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't need combat reload skill to defend yourself unless it's zombies apocalypse.  

Besides, if you really going to train for combat reload.... use a real gun.

#16 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostAllizard, on 09 January 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Amen! Lol

#17 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostAllizard, on 09 January 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

it's really simple...

Are you training to SAVE lives?         Or
Are you training to KILL someone?

So how does that work?
Drop mags when.........killing or saving lives?  lol

#18 plinky

plinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostAllizard, on 09 January 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure you don't need combat reload skill to defend yourself unless it's zombies apocalypse.  

Sooo...that's a no on dropping mags? Can't keep a real gun around currently in my life. I can only rent AR-15's & ammo at the shooting range, and that becomes expensive.

That's why I wanted to buy this airsoft gun. For both airsofting and practicing different reloading techniques/target acquisition  :cry:

#19 JROC311

JROC311

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Seeking of thrills

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

I don't see dropping mags being that beneficial in many scenarios that I would end up in, even defending myself.
If I am being attacked, home invaded etc. I'm pretty sure ONE 30 round mag of .223's should get the job done. If for some reason it is not I have several more ready to go that will only take a couple of seconds to swap out. If I dropped a mag then maybe that would shave a second or so off a mag swap but in the event that I would need more than thirty rounds (for instance zombie apocalypse) I'm probably going to need to reload some mags before it is all over so I prefer to know where they are and easily access them and for them to be in good clean working condition when I need them again.

I suppose if I was in a movie where I seemed to have and endless supply of loaded mags at my dispersal then sure, I might drop some mags then. That's only because I would go through so many though since it's virtually impossible to hit anyone while shooting blanks.lol

On a side note, do they let you drop mags on guns you rent at a shooting range? I've never seen anyone at the ones I've been to dropping them.

#20 Guest_Allizard_*

Guest_Allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Dropping a gas mag is not recommended for gas guns.   It's just the fact that it's NOT meant to be dropped.  If you just want to practice combat reload... whatever the reasons....  Zombies Apocalypse will be a good one.  :blinded:   or you just want to look cool at Mil-Sim events....  Then I highly recommend you check out the new ERG.  yes... the NEW NEW ERG.....  Notice I used NEW twice.
Did I mention I said it's NEW?!!! Just wait 7 more days.....

BTW, a shot gun is an even more effective weapon for self defense.   You might want to check that out as well.  Especially for Zombies Apocalypse.   I think I've been playing a little too much L4D2.  :gun:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users