32 replies to this topic

#1 holderp

holderp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Took my new CQR Mod1 out for its first game Saturday.  Cleaned the barrel and hop pup bucking before hitting the field.
  • It chronoed with .25's below 300.  As low as 250, one time as high as 290. Mostly around 260. Shouldn't this be higher?
  • The hop up didn't seem to do much.  Cleaned it the day before with soap and water and could see bump in the chamber change as I dialed it up and down after reassembling the hop up and the barrel.  When firing BB's it didn't seem to have an impact on the flight of the BB regardless of setting.
    *EDIT* Took the hop up out of the gun and dialed it up and down.  Noticed it would not go all the way back up.  Maybe the nub is binding somehow?
I haven't done anything but normal cleaning.  I plan on doing the cylinder swap at a later time once the warranty expires.  Maybe a spring swap to 130 so I can get closer to 400 with .25's. My local fields allow 400 fps measured with 25's.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by holderp, 16 March 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#2 Rain Man

Rain Man

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (obviously). Gaming. Baseball. Fantasy Football. Skiing

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hey Holderp! I personally own a CQR Mod 1. To answer your first question, you have to keep in mind that the CQR's have a ported cylinder inside the gearbox and not a traditional KM4 one. This is so the fps will be lowered to around 320-330 with .20's for CQB play. If you want to get up near 400fps, you can swap out your cylinder to a regular km4 cylinder. To my knowledge, you would not have to replace the spring before doing so, but you can do this if you want too. To answer your second question, I would recommend playing around with your hop up a bit. Take down the whole unit, clean it, reposition all the parts, and try again. It could be a matter of having to break it in more, get a new 2GX bucking, or using a different bucking entirely, whatever gets the job done.

#3 holderp

holderp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:49 AM

Thanks. I was intending to swap the cylinder after the warranty expires. We did it with my sons back in Dec. looking at the hopup last night it looks like the nub is binding. It won't retreat fully when the hopup is turned off. I am assuming it won't also go down all the way either. It won't over hop at all. Plan on taking it apart an seeing how that goes.

#4 BLATEY

BLATEY

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Keepin' it Real.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Can you Rain Man, post a picture of both cylinder heads.
Thx.

#5 Rain Man

Rain Man

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Here you go Blatley! Top cylinder is an older gen i think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Middle is a KWA Km4 series cylinder. Bottom is a CQR ported cylinder.

View Postholderp, on 17 March 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

Thanks. I was intending to swap the cylinder after the warranty expires. We did it with my sons back in Dec. looking at the hopup last night it looks like the nub is binding. It won't retreat fully when the hopup is turned off. I am assuming it won't also go down all the way either. It won't over hop at all. Plan on taking it apart an seeing how that goes.
Definitely try that. Let us know what happens!

Attached Files

Edited by Rain Man, 17 March 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostRain Man, on 17 March 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Here you go Blatley! Top cylinder is an older gen i think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Middle is a KWA Km4 series cylinder. Bottom is a CQR ported cylinder.

Definitely try that. Let us know what happens!
The top one is what KWA calls their type 0.5 type cylinder found in the SR 10 and 12, the newer KM4A1's, RM4 Scout, and the M16BR (the old MK4 and M16 had the middle one).  The middle one was what was in the SR7, the G36C, and older Gen1 AEGs.  KWA refers to it as the their type 1.  The bottom on is indeed the CQR cylinder.  It was also in the old CQB (though the CQB has had several cylinders including a double ported one), the RM4 CQB and thew recent SR7's.  It is also what is in the current Commando AEG.  Most of this cylinder swapping has been in conjunction with spring changes leading to a more stable platform for controlling over spin when used with high output lipo batteries and maintaining proper FPS.

Hope this helps.

#7 BLATEY

BLATEY

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Yes! Thank you both Rain Man and gcw360.

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

Assuming high quality BBs the muzzle velocity should not vary that much in a KWA AEG.

Choreographed with 0.20g BBs the extreme spread (slowest vs fastest) in velocities in my KM4-CQB is 4.1fps with an average deviation of less than 1fps.  I suspect yours is full of grease, dirty, or leaking air.  If you want to push the field limit address those during your modifications so you don't unexpectedly chronograph above your field limits when the time comes.

-- Chuck

#9 Rain Man

Rain Man

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

View Postgcw360, on 17 March 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

The top one is what KWA calls their type 0.5 type cylinder found in the SR 10 and 12, the newer KM4A1's, RM4 Scout, and the M16BR (the old MK4 and M16 had the middle one).  The middle one was what was in the SR7, the G36C, and older Gen1 AEGs.  KWA refers to it as the their type 1.  The bottom on is indeed the CQR cylinder.  It was also in the old CQB (though the CQB has had several cylinders including a double ported one), the RM4 CQB and thew recent SR7's.  It is also what is in the current Commando AEG.  Most of this cylinder swapping has been in conjunction with spring changes leading to a more stable platform for controlling over spin when used with high output lipo batteries and maintaining proper FPS.

Hope this helps.
Thanks gcw! At least i got 1 out of 3

#10 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostRain Man, on 18 March 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Thanks gcw! At least i got 1 out of 3
Actually 2 out of three but that's based on the year the gun was put out.  They have changed a lot over the years and I still get surprised from time to time!

#11 Rain Man

Rain Man

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

View Postgcw360, on 19 March 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Actually 2 out of three but that's based on the year the gun was put out.  They have changed a lot over the years and I still get surprised from time to time!
Good to know haha!

#12 choochoo

choochoo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

holderp, with the hopup dialed all the way on/down, do you see this?
Posted Image

Also, I noticed on my xcortech chrono, it likes high quality bbs....  weird....  when I use airsplat bbs, I get a fps variation of almost 30-35fps.  but when I use KWA bbs, the variation is 5~10fps.  I don't know if that it's really that crazy, but that's what my chrono tells me....

#13 holderp

holderp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Yes that is what I see. I think the nub is binding. Out of town this week. I'm going to look further when I return

#14 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

View Postchoochoo, on 20 March 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

holderp, with the hopup dialed all the way on/down, do you see this?
Posted Image

Also, I noticed on my xcortech chrono, it likes high quality bbs....  weird....  when I use airsplat bbs, I get a fps variation of almost 30-35fps.  but when I use KWA bbs, the variation is 5~10fps.  I don't know if that it's really that crazy, but that's what my chrono tells me....
Low quality BB's vary in diameter and weight not to mention roundness and surface smoothness which can cause wide swings in FPS.

#15 holderp

holderp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

I shoot TSD .25's

#16 Rain Man

Rain Man

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

TSD's in my experience are fine. I would recommend elite force .20's though for a cqr just because of the lower fps.

#17 BLATEY

BLATEY

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostRain Man, on 21 March 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

TSD's in my experience are fine. I would recommend elite force .20's though for a cqr just because of the lower fps.

I use elite force too, but I use 0.25g bbs and they work fantastically in field

#18 Larry

Larry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

My hop up up had a lot of unfinished areas in the window (SR10 3 months old), molding errors. Guess KWA didnt think they needed to clean that up, along with the sh*t over greased 2G.  The nub would catch going up and down. Clean that up with a file while your doing your other work. Flat hop that sucker, will be the best gun you ever owned.
Just tried a Maple Leaf 70 in a Top Tech I have. Prommy black tensioner.Madbull 509mm. Not to get off topic but shooting pretty sweet. Using Elite Force .28s.

Edited by Larry, 21 March 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#19 holderp

holderp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Larry

View PostLarry, on 21 March 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

My hop up up had a lot of unfinished areas in the window (SR10 3 months old), molding errors. Guess KWA didnt think they needed to clean that up, along with the sh*t over greased 2G.  The nub would catch going up and down. Clean that up with a file while your doing your other work. Flat hop that sucker, will be the best gun you ever owned.
Just tried a Maple Leaf 70 in a Top Tech I have. Prommy black tensioner.Madbull 509mm. Not to get off topic but shooting pretty sweet. Using Elite Force .28s.
Larry, I did take my hop up apart and the window did look a little rough.  Took an x-acto knife and shaved off the flash and the nub seems to move more freely now.  It will actually fall out now.  I put it all back together and it seems to function more smoothly.  Its dark out now so tomorrow I'll try to see if this will shoot better.  

I guess with the nub stuck, it wouldn't fine tune to a certain point so it wouldn't hop enough to put on a backspin.
Anyway I'll test fire tomorrow and see what it does.

#20 holderp

holderp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Let me touch on the subject of cylinders.  Here's a picture of my CQR Mod1.  You can see the cylinder that came in and is still in the GB.  The next cylinder is the one we took out of my son's CQR late last year.  The top cylinder is the one from the Pro Shop I have to put into mine.Attached File  IMG_0183.JPG   86.08K   11 downloads

Can I be sure I have the correct GB? Mine any my son's have been built about a year apart.  Mine is less than a month old.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users