14 replies to this topic

#1 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

I've seen a few aftermarket options for metal outer barrels, to replace the plastic one on the HK USP.
Who has one installed, what brand, and how does it fit/work?

Thanks!

Edited by doug.nash, 16 May 2011 - 07:04 AM.

#2 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

By the way. I'm talking about adding the metal outer barrel to a brand new (NS2) model pistol. Replacing the factory plastic piece.

Thanks.

#3 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Pretty amazed that no one has even tried this.

#4 mcnabb100

mcnabb100

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

I've considered it, I took the orange off mine, but the plastic is slightly damaged from the nail polish remover. RA tech makes a nice looking one http://en.ratech.com...ksc/rag_ksc.php

#5 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

View Postmcnabb100, on 22 May 2011 - 02:02 AM, said:

I've considered it, I took the orange off mine, but the plastic is slightly damaged from the nail polish remover. RA tech makes a nice looking one http://en.ratech.com...ksc/rag_ksc.php

Yeah. I've been looking at that RA Tech replacement. Looks nice, but not 100% certain it would be the exact fit, being that it is designed for the KSC variant. Also, it is supposedly steel, as opposed to light aluminum alloy. THAT could be a real problem with all that extra mass. Not sure.

Thanks!

#6 mcnabb100

mcnabb100

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

View Postdoug.nash, on 23 May 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yeah. I've been looking at that RA Tech replacement. Looks nice, but not 100% certain it would be the exact fit, being that it is designed for the KSC variant. Also, it is supposedly steel, as opposed to light aluminum alloy. THAT could be a real problem with all that extra mass. Not sure.

Thanks!
Judging by the picks it seems to be the same. Most KSC stuff is interchangeable with KWA. Usually there is just a small internal difference between the two products to change the FPS. Also, I don't think the extra mass would hurt anything, because the barrel isnt really moving much when you fire, just the slide.

#7 xKingSizex

xKingSizex

Customer Service Manager

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests:Umm, airsoft...

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

One thing to remember is that the stronger metal wins the fight...would you rather replace a barrel or the complete slide?

#8 wurger

wurger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

View Postdoug.nash, on 23 May 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yeah. I've been looking at that RA Tech replacement. Looks nice, but not 100% certain it would be the exact fit, being that it is designed for the KSC variant. Also, it is supposedly steel, as opposed to light aluminum alloy. THAT could be a real problem with all that extra mass...

Those RA Tech prices are pretty high. Look for a Shooter's Design slide and outer barrel for the KSC System 7 UPS's. The SD System 7 parts are a drop fit with the KWA NS2 internals. The only likely problem in the upgrade is swapping the front sight. That WILL be a PITA. I built a USP Tactical using a KSC frame, Shooter's Design slide and inner barrel, and the internals from a KWA NS2 KP45. It looks and shoots great. Excluding the hassles with the front sight, the build took about 15 minutes.

If you want a factory fresh look for your USP, skip the metal outer barrel. It will start to show wear almost immediately, whereas the KWA polymer outer barrel won't visibly wear as quickly.

#9 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

The additional friction is more what I was getting at, in regards to the RA Tech barrel. Indeed, I wouldn't want the slide to wear prematurely. However, and this would also mitigate the point about keeping the "factory fresh look" - I would immediately hone and polish the friction surfaces on the steel barrel. That would go a long way towards reducing the impact on the aluminum slide contact points.

As for the Shooter's Design slide/barrel combo. Unless you have seen something I haven't, that kit goes for at least $128. Considering the stock KWA slide is already a high-quality alloy, AND designed perfectly for the frame, the Shooter's route doesn't seem to make much sense. The $50 for just the RA barrel seems to be the most direct route to achieving the finish I'm after. Granted, the one advantage with the Shooter's kit is that at least the outer barrel is aluminum, instead of steel.

#10 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Just bumping this topic. It's been a number if days since anyone added to the conversation. Still very interested in any first-hand experience. The few choices I've found in scouring the web aren't necessarily cheap, nor are they even domestic. Odds seem good that the order would have to come right from HK.

#11 mcnabb100

mcnabb100

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

View Postdoug.nash, on 02 June 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

Just bumping this topic. It's been a number if days since anyone added to the conversation. Still very interested in any first-hand experience. The few choices I've found in scouring the web aren't necessarily cheap, nor are they even domestic. Odds seem good that the order would have to come right from HK.
Yeah, most slide kits for just about any GBB are only carried by HK retailers, especially the ones with trades, because the trades are used illegally :) You may have a better chance of finding somebody had done this on a different forum. Most people on here only come because they are having gun trouble, or want to know about a new product.

#12 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

View Postmcnabb100, on 03 June 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

Yeah, most slide kits for just about any GBB are only carried by HK retailers, especially the ones with trades, because the trades are used illegally :) You may have a better chance of finding somebody had done this on a different forum. Most people on here only come because they are having gun trouble, or want to know about a new product.

Thanks. Great point about the forums. I've tried the same line of questioning on Evike's forum, as well as at airsoftforum.com. But those quarries have elicited zero help and almost no responses. Am I missing a better airsoft forum someplace? There are so many, but not sure which ones are best suited to that kind of question.

#13 mcnabb100

mcnabb100

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

View Postdoug.nash, on 04 June 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

Thanks. Great point about the forums. I've tried the same line of questioning on Evike's forum, as well as at airsoftforum.com. But those quarries have elicited zero help and almost no responses. Am I missing a better airsoft forum someplace? There are so many, but not sure which ones are best suited to that kind of question.
Well, unfortunately i'm not aware of a gbb specific forum. I'd probably try airsoft retreat, they are also one of the larger forums. I'm a member of ASF, and honestly i'm not surprised you didn't get a much help, there are a few KWA guys overthere, but some of the more active members in the gas section are TM worshipers.

Edited by mcnabb100, 04 June 2011 - 10:21 PM.

#14 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thanks. I guess that's part of the problem. KWA guns are simply so much better, out of the box, than any other brand, bar none. That leaves almost zero aftermarket parts, unlike the thousands of things one can get for the plastic TM guns.
I really think that KWA should simply off metal outer barrels for ALL their pistols, as an aftermarket option. Just like they already do with the MK-series pistols. Let the buyer decide if they want to shorten the lifespan of their pistols. Theoretically, that is...

#15 maduhbee

maduhbee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

bumping this thread 2 years later (almost) just to let you guys knows that I've installed the RA-Tech Steel outer barrel, and Steel Inner Barrel. It is VERY heavy. plus it sounds amazing when you pull back on the slide!

Problem is the BBU, it seems my gun came over torqued, or just super glued in. I was able to use a soldering torch to ease the glue, and unscrew the BBU. Replaced it with a philips screw head, and it's ready to go. I also ordered an action 150% spring, because the factory spring can barely move the slide!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users