19 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrenchWeasel

TheFrenchWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

Someone please help me I can't figure out if aftermarket pistons will work in my kwa gearbox. I have read many forums saying they are proprietary and others that say they can take aftermarket pistons easily. What i'm getting at here is that I know the kwa piston will probably be the most durable in my gearbox but i want something a little cheaper and probably just as durable such as an SHS piston with 3 metal teeth. I am running my kwa m4 with an identical setup as karMeister with an sp130 and stuff but im using a 5000maH 20C lipo with deans and a mosfet and its giving me a surprising 30 rps. I NEED A PISTON THAT CAN HANDLE THIS ABUSE!

Also if you think I am joking i can make a video tonight showing you. PS: I am running a JG red motor so that's probably why I'm getting 30 rps

Edited by TheFrenchWeasel, 31 July 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#2 asdfrtyuvbnm

asdfrtyuvbnm

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:RC Helicopters
    Airsoft

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostTheFrenchWeasel, on 31 July 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

Someone please help me I can't figure out if aftermarket pistons will work in my kwa gearbox. I have read many forums saying they are proprietary and others that say they can take aftermarket pistons easily. What i'm getting at here is that I know the kwa piston will probably be the most durable in my gearbox but i want something a little cheaper and probably just as durable such as an SHS piston with 3 metal teeth. I am running my kwa m4 with an identical setup as karMeister with an sp130 and stuff but im using a 5000maH 20C lipo with deans and a mosfet and its giving me a surprising 30 rps. I NEED A PISTON THAT CAN HANDLE THIS ABUSE!

Also if you think I am joking i can make a video tonight showing you. PS: I am running a JG red motor so that's probably why I'm getting 30 rps
Honestly, I think the mods are only going to tell you that there is no reason to change out the piston because the KWA piston is one of the toughest on the market. I believe that the SHS pistons should work fine but I don't know if it is tougher than the KWA piston. The KWA staff and some mods say that they have used aftermarket pistons with no need for modifications, so, if any aftermarket pistons work then most if not all aftermarket pistons should work. Most of the compatability issues has to do with aftermarket bodies, hopups and buckings, and the cylinder head and nozzle.

This is a little off topic but there is always a positive and negative way to look at a situation. Alot of guys out there are saying that KWA is proprietary. I guess you could say that. But if you are of the optimistic type, you could see it as KWA being innovative. :thumbsup:

#3 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

An SHS piston will work for maybe a stock setup but probably won't last very long in a 30rps gun.
And to name a couple of others that I know personally is the Bravo (red) and King Arms. But price is almost the same as the KWA and not quite as durable.

#4 TheFrenchWeasel

TheFrenchWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

i know the kwa piston is going to definately be the best but i am looking for a replacement piston that is cheaper and almost as durable so that when the time comes where my piston fails, i will know exactly what to replace it with instead of scrambling around for information like im doing now lol :blush:

#5 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

Just as durable as a KWA but cheaper............hmmmmm.  Have to think about that one. :whistle:
In this business you really get what you pay for...........well most of the time anyway. :rolleyes:

#6 TheFrenchWeasel

TheFrenchWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

I just ordered 2 kwa pistons from the pro shop after doing a little more research. I don't think I will be needing to make any more internal orders any time soon lol.

#7 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

I've been using bravo pistons. They are not as good, but are similar in design. They even have the hole in the front to accommodate the kwa piston head. I bought the bravo piston at a local retailer because that's what he had that would work. I didn't want to order and wait a few days.

After it's all shipped and paid for you may save $5 with another brand, but you're better off with a kwa piston. Also you can use the free shipping code at the proshop for orders over $30. Is it freeship or freeshipping? I can't remember.

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

FREESHIP.  :gun:

#9 NRLegg

NRLegg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

if you get the chance, grab the airsoftgi rebranded Aziumth piston. (transparent turquoise color) definitely a solid choice aswell.

#10 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostNRLegg, on 31 July 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

if you get the chance, grab the airsoftgi rebranded Aziumth piston. (transparent turquoise color) definitely a solid choice aswell.
That hasn't been available for over a year. What is it a rebrand of?

#11 TheFrenchWeasel

TheFrenchWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostNRLegg, on 31 July 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

There are 3 problems with doing so.
First of all I've heard that rebrand piston sucks, its been out of stock and I try to avoid GI.
Second is that SHS makes an azimuth piston that is much better, cheaper and easier to find,
Third is that I don't think an azimuth piston would mesh as well as a kwa piston let alone handle the abuse of an sp130 shooting 30 rps.

#12 NRLegg

NRLegg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

View PostTheFrenchWeasel, on 31 July 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

There are 3 problems with doing so.
First of all I've heard that rebrand piston sucks, its been out of stock and I try to avoid GI.
Second is that SHS makes an azimuth piston that is much better, cheaper and easier to find,
Third is that I don't think an azimuth piston would mesh as well as a kwa piston let alone handle the abuse of an sp130 shooting 30 rps.

Funny you mention that because i found out about SHS pistons a few days after i posted that haha :P the azimuth piston is still the same manufacturer but under a different name.
i guess ASGI really wanted it

#13 NRLegg

NRLegg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

oh and i just had an azimuth installed yesterday by my airsoft technician and he said the meshing with the gears was perfect.

#14 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostNRLegg, on 05 August 2011 - 07:27 PM, said:

oh and i just had an azimuth installed yesterday by my airsoft technician and he said the meshing with the gears was perfect.
Let us know how that piston holds up. Thanks.

#15 NRLegg

NRLegg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

View Postniko_gpsy, on 05 August 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

for sure  :punk:

#16 TheFrenchWeasel

TheFrenchWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

View Postniko_gpsy, on 05 August 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

YES!.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 airwebber

airwebber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Good day and I am very sorry to jump on an older post.

I own several KWA’s and for some reason just one of my sons has had piston problems (I am sure it’s him). At this point I do not want to replace the KWA piston with another KWA piston and I want to try a aftermarket piston. Can anyone suggest/recommend other pistons they are sure will work in a KWA V2 gear box.

Thank you in advance.

#18 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

I have used a Bravo and an azimuth piston with good results.  But between the 2 I suggest the azimuth.  That is what I use for my high speed setups.

#19 airwebber

airwebber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

azimuth pistons only exist now as knock offs I think. Which knock off do you suggest?

#20 airwebber

airwebber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

I may be wrong, per a few forums it appears the original azimuth piston was and is made by wgcshop, it looks like they have it still in stock: http://www.wgcshop.c...From=searchItem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users