#1 Lizzard

Lizzard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:GEAR

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

I recently received my new ATP, and while it is quite cool, I have noticed an issue with the trigger.  Sometimes, after inserting the magazine, the trigger locks as if the safety is turned on, which is interesting, because as far as I can tell, this pistol does not have a safety.  Sometimes, I can just pull the trigger harder to get it to work, other times it's stuck pretty well.  

One time after this happened, I locked the slide back and looked down into the magwell through the ejection port after removing the magazine.  As I pulled the trigger, I noticed there was something (later identified as part 88 on the exploded parts diagram) blocking the trigger mechanism.  Reaching in, I found that this thing slides up and down relatively easily, and essentially functions as a safety, but with not visible external way to activate it.  I've also found that it almost always slides up when I insert one of my old M18 50 round magazines, as they are a bit tighter than the ATP's magazine.  The only time this "safety" does not slide up is when I cock the gun, pull the trigger, and then insert the magazine as the trigger is locked back.

Obviously, this will not be too effective for combat.  Is there any obvious remedy to this that I am overlooking?  What IS this part anyway?  Can I remove it without ill effect?  It doesn't seem to be connected to anything else.

I can take pictures if needed.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know if the ATP is compatible with replica or even real steel Glock iron sights?  The rear sight on mine has decided to become loose, and there is no way to increase tension on it.  Before glueing it into place, I decided I wanted a more visible set of sights on my gun than the standard three-dot type.

The barrel also appears to be metal, which was a surprise to me.  Am I wrong, is this some kind of witchcraft-fueled super plastic?

Edited by Lizzard, 12 September 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

I wish I could give you some answers to the locking problem.  Since I do not have an ATP to test against, yet, I am at a lose.  I can tell you that the outer barrel is indeed metal with a blaze plastic tip "permanently" attached.

#3 leynos

leynos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

I'm actually having the same problem. I took my gun to Airsoft Extreme and I told them that the gun wasnt cycling through properly. I had suggested that it might be a problem with the internal hammer not engaging itself after taking the initial shot. AEX then replaced the bottom receiver with another atp receiver and the gun started working again. I took the ATP out this weekend, however, and it started to malfunction again.

Does anyone know what the deal is?

PS. a friend of mine tried to buy the ATP a few days ago from Evike but all the ATPs he tried were malfunctioning. he went through 4 ATPs before changing his mind and not buying one.

#4 Big Odie

Big Odie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

I purchased my ATP on Saturday 9-17-11 and was lucky enough to play with it today. the guin seemed to function just fine for the first 2 mags then the trigger would not reset. It shot the first time and the gun would cycle but the trigger did not reset. I had to manually cycle the slide and that would seem to get the gun to work half of the time. The other time I would have to remove the magazine, cycle the slide, insert the magazine and load the weapon to get the trigger to reset. I also believe it is part 88 and possibly part 38. The person who run my local airsoft store and sold me the gun was present when the problems happened and said he will take care of it. There was also another player who had the same exact problem as my gun. He also purchased his gun the same day and this was also the first time for him to shoot the gun. He informed that he ran about three magazines through his gun before he started noticing the same problems, Also part 36 is not very secure in both guns. I do not know if this is by design or should it be a tighter more secure fit???

#5 xKingSizex

xKingSizex

Customer Service Manager

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • Interests:Umm, airsoft...

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Guys, please hop on our Help Desk and set up a warranty repair ticket. We will take care of any issues you're having.

#6 USMCRecon

USMCRecon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

I found a solution to my ATP's problems. I'm putting it back in the box and returning it!! Don't get me wrong, I love KWA's - my SR-10 has been my choice of primary weapons since they came out, but it looks like the R&D department @ KWA could have taken a little more time to work the bugs out before releasing it.

#7 Mikester619

Mikester619

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

View PostLizzard, on 12 September 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

I recently received my new ATP, and while it is quite cool, I have noticed an issue with the trigger.  Sometimes, after inserting the magazine, the trigger locks as if the safety is turned on, which is interesting, because as far as I can tell, this pistol does not have a safety.  Sometimes, I can just pull the trigger harder to get it to work, other times it's stuck pretty well.  

One time after this happened, I locked the slide back and looked down into the magwell through the ejection port after removing the magazine.  As I pulled the trigger, I noticed there was something (later identified as part 88 on the exploded parts diagram) blocking the trigger mechanism.  Reaching in, I found that this thing slides up and down relatively easily, and essentially functions as a safety, but with not visible external way to activate it.  I've also found that it almost always slides up when I insert one of my old M18 50 round magazines, as they are a bit tighter than the ATP's magazine.  The only time this "safety" does not slide up is when I cock the gun, pull the trigger, and then insert the magazine as the trigger is locked back.

Obviously, this will not be too effective for combat.  Is there any obvious remedy to this that I am overlooking?  What IS this part anyway?  Can I remove it without ill effect?  It doesn't seem to be connected to anything else.

I can take pictures if needed.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know if the ATP is compatible with replica or even real steel Glock iron sights?  The rear sight on mine has decided to become loose, and there is no way to increase tension on it.  Before glueing it into place, I decided I wanted a more visible set of sights on my gun than the standard three-dot type.

The barrel also appears to be metal, which was a surprise to me.  Am I wrong, is this some kind of witchcraft-fueled super plastic?
Sorry for the late reply. Everytime you insert the magazine, (part # 88) moves up from it's place and blocks the trigger(part #7). There is no safety on the ATP. To solve that problem, use a little dab of super glue on part #88 and use a handle on a small screwdriver to push back part #88 into place. Part #88's function is to keep the magazine stable. Keep it tight against the wall of the magwell so the valve is aligned to the impact pin(part #78). Hope that helps

#8 Lizzard

Lizzard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

My apologies for the late reply, I never recieved an email notification.  Thanks everyone for the replies.

To be honest, this does not seem like something's wrong with my gun in particular, but the ATP's design itself, as I see no way that Part #88, or the "trigger back," would be held in place on its own.  If the magazine is inserted perfectly straight, then Part 88 usually stays in place, but often times a high speed reload will rub against this part and move it up.  In KWA's defense, I haven't actually examined the other ATPs at the shop I work for to see if they exhibit this same behavior, so I could be talking out of my a**.

View PostMikester619, on 03 October 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

Sorry for the late reply. Everytime you insert the magazine, (part # 88) moves up from it's place and blocks the trigger(part #7). There is no safety on the ATP. To solve that problem, use a little dab of super glue on part #88 and use a handle on a small screwdriver to push back part #88 into place. Part #88's function is to keep the magazine stable. Keep it tight against the wall of the magwell so the valve is aligned to the impact pin(part #78). Hope that helps
Yes indeed, your reply is quite helpful and appreciated.  Now if Part 88's function is to keep the magazine stable, why does it have the capacity to slide up and down, and, in the process of doing so, prevent the weapon from operating?  There is no ill-effect to gluing the part in place, yes?

#9 Mikester619

Mikester619

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

View PostLizzard, on 04 October 2011 - 01:49 AM, said:

My apologies for the late reply, I never recieved an email notification.  Thanks everyone for the replies.

To be honest, this does not seem like something's wrong with my gun in particular, but the ATP's design itself, as I see no way that Part #88, or the "trigger back," would be held in place on its own.  If the magazine is inserted perfectly straight, then Part 88 usually stays in place, but often times a high speed reload will rub against this part and move it up.  In KWA's defense, I haven't actually examined the other ATPs at the shop I work for to see if they exhibit this same behavior, so I could be talking out of my a**.

Yes indeed, your reply is quite helpful and appreciated.  Now if Part 88's function is to keep the magazine stable, why does it have the capacity to slide up and down, and, in the process of doing so, prevent the weapon from operating?  There is no ill-effect to gluing the part in place, yes?
Hi Lizzard, part# 88 needs to be secured in it's place. The magazine is hitting part #88 up and blocking the trigger. Like on the old KWA M-series gas pistols, part #88 is held in by friction, you needed an hammer and pin punch to remove it. There is an aftermarket lower frame for the KWA M-series gas pistol brand name Pro-Arms, part #88 needed to be sanded down to fit the magazine into the magwell. Once you insert the magazine, part #88 would move up and block the trigger. Sanding down part #88 would fix the problem. There should be no problems gluing part #88 in place. If you are not sure on what to do, your ATP is still under warranty. Contact KWA customer service.

#10 Lizzard

Lizzard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostMikester619, on 04 October 2011 - 08:19 AM, said:

Hi Lizzard, part# 88 needs to be secured in it's place. The magazine is hitting part #88 up and blocking the trigger. Like on the old KWA M-series gas pistols, part #88 is held in by friction, you needed an hammer and pin punch to remove it. There is an aftermarket lower frame for the KWA M-series gas pistol brand name Pro-Arms, part #88 needed to be sanded down to fit the magazine into the magwell. Once you insert the magazine, part #88 would move up and block the trigger. Sanding down part #88 would fix the problem. There should be no problems gluing part #88 in place. If you are not sure on what to do, your ATP is still under warranty. Contact KWA customer service.
Yeah I figured out that it was moving up, I wonder why it's so loose in mine?  The ones in our shop are much more sturdy.  Thanks for the info, too, glad to know I can simply glue it in place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users