Jump to content


Fuse blows, nothing works


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hi, seeking advice on how to fix my Sr10. I bought it used and it got off one shot and it never worked since. Thought it was the lipo, but the battery I bought to replace it reacted the same way as the lipo, killing the fuse. There is no sign that any of the electrically work, the battery and connector just turns hot and the fuse blows. I replace the fuse and plugin any of the batteries (that are all OK'ed for use with the KM) and it just blows the fuse immediately.

I am not too sure what to do to even attempt fixing the problem. Would much prefer to not have to send it back, hopefully by just replacing something.

Any help appreciated!

#2 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

 Heathrow, on 10 May 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Hi, seeking advice on how to fix my Sr10. I bought it used and it got off one shot and it never worked since. Thought it was the lipo, but the battery I bought to replace it reacted the same way as the lipo, killing the fuse. There is no sign that any of the electrically work, the battery and connector just turns hot and the fuse blows. I replace the fuse and plugin any of the batteries (that are all OK'ed for use with the KM) and it just blows the fuse immediately.

I am not too sure what to do to even attempt fixing the problem. Would much prefer to not have to send it back, hopefully by just replacing something.

Any help appreciated!
Hi Heathrow, welcome to the KWA Forums.  It could be a number of things.  The gearbox could be jammed which can be caused by any number of internal parts failure.  However, based only on the post and the information provided, it may be a pinched wire.  Most likely that wire would be at the base of the buffer tube where it joins the lower receiver.  Has the gun been opened or modified in any way?  Heck, it could even be incorrect polarity (switched wires) at the battery connector or on the motor.

I would eliminate potential causes in this order:
  • Confirm proper battery and gun connector polarity (Positive wire to Positive wire...negative to negative)

  • Same with the motor, reversing the motor connects will cause the fuse to blow

  • The heat in the wires sounds like a short, pull the buffer tube and look for pinched, frayed, or cut wires and insulation

  • Look into the gearbox for broken gears, piston, bearings etc.
If you are not comfortable with this approach, send it to KWA for repair by opening a ticket on the Help Desk.

Hope this helps.

#3 Everything_airsoft

Everything_airsoft

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida U.S.A
  • Interests:Airsoft, camping, learning new skills. Im a wanna be airsoft tech
  • Country:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

In addition to gcw360's advice if you fuse is blown make sure you have the correct amp. At any hardware or car place you could find a 20 amp fuse or even a pack of them for cheap.

#4 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for this! Will take your advice step by step and see if I can fix.

 gcw360, on 10 May 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Hi Heathrow, welcome to the KWA Forums.  It could be a number of things.  The gearbox could be jammed which can be caused by any number of internal parts failure.  However, based only on the post and the information provided, it may be a pinched wire.  Most likely that wire would be at the base of the buffer tube where it joins the lower receiver.  Has the gun been opened or modified in any way?  Heck, it could even be incorrect polarity (switched wires) at the battery connector or on the motor.

I would eliminate potential causes in this order:
  • Confirm proper battery and gun connector polarity (Positive wire to Positive wire...negative to negative)

  • Same with the motor, reversing the motor connects will cause the fuse to blow

  • The heat in the wires sounds like a short, pull the buffer tube and look for pinched, frayed, or cut wires and insulation

  • Look into the gearbox for broken gears, piston, bearings etc.
If you are not comfortable with this approach, send it to KWA for repair by opening a ticket on the Help Desk.

Hope this helps.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#5 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

I took a methodical approach and found that wires seemed to be cross-connected, black to red and vice versa. Even though I swapped it didn't fix the problem. Took the motor out of the grip and when pushing the trigger, the motor ran. So it seems the gearbox was not connecting well to the motor or something in there is obstructing.

I am now trying to disassemble the gearbox, but maybe some of you out there has a tip that I overlooked before I mess it all up?

The fuse obviously died because the motor was blocked. But is there something I don't know?

Thanks for your time...

 gcw360, on 10 May 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Hi Heathrow, welcome to the KWA Forums.  It could be a number of things.  The gearbox could be jammed which can be caused by any number of internal parts failure.  However, based only on the post and the information provided, it may be a pinched wire.  Most likely that wire would be at the base of the buffer tube where it joins the lower receiver.  Has the gun been opened or modified in any way?  Heck, it could even be incorrect polarity (switched wires) at the battery connector or on the motor.

I would eliminate potential causes in this order:
  • Confirm proper battery and gun connector polarity (Positive wire to Positive wire...negative to negative)

  • Same with the motor, reversing the motor connects will cause the fuse to blow

  • The heat in the wires sounds like a short, pull the buffer tube and look for pinched, frayed, or cut wires and insulation

  • Look into the gearbox for broken gears, piston, bearings etc.
If you are not comfortable with this approach, send it to KWA for repair by opening a ticket on the Help Desk.

Hope this helps.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#6 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Here's what I think the issue may be and it boils down to several possibilities:
  • Reversed polarity - You may have solved this already but let's be sure

  • Weak/damaged battery

  • Seized gearbox

  • Motor needs maintenance
There are two holes in the plug that the wires go through.  A round one (+) and a square one (-). To ensure the polarity is correct, and assuming you have mini Tamiya plugs in the battery and gun, confirm that the red (+) wire is going through the "round" port in the plug. Next be certain that the red motor wire is on the positive terminal of the motor.  This terminal is marked in red and with a "+" sign.  If this is all in order then move on the the other possibilities I mention below.

To check for a jammed GB, open the upper receiver and look at the position of the piston.  If it is in the rear or locked position, or in between cycles, it may very well be jammed. This can occur with any number of parts failures including but not limited to:
  • Broken piston
  • Broken gears
  • Blown barrings
  • Foreign body in the drive train
Another cause can be a weak, undercharged, or damaged battery.  In this case the battery can not deliver enough power to cycle this piston.

Lastly, the motor brushes could be gunked  up an not allowing enough current to the motor.
I know I posed some of this before, but I though more detail might be helpful.

In all the cases above, you should hear the motor try to engage and give a "click, click" noise with each trigger pull.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

PS. One last thought, if the motor height ins not properly adjusted so that the motor is going to far into the handle it will cause the gearbox to seize.  This is caused by the motor height screw being to far or the motor wires pushing the motor too far down into the handle.  It's an easy fix though and the seize should be temporary and resolved with proper motor height adjustment.

Please keep us posted.

#7 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Polarity seems fine, have two batteries, each of them fully charged and able. I tried to adjust the motor height in all increment and blew another fuse doing it. It seems like something is stuck in the gearbox.

Can I send the gearbox to KWA for repairs? How does that work. Again, your Tim is very much appreciated!

Tn


 gcw360, on 14 July 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Here's what I think the issue may be and it boils down to several possibilities:
  • Reversed polarity - You may have solved this already but let's be sure

  • Weak/damaged battery

  • Seized gearbox

  • Motor needs maintenance
There are two holes in the plug that the wires go through.  A round one (+) and a square one (-). To ensure the polarity is correct, and assuming you have mini Tamiya plugs in the battery and gun, confirm that the red (+) wire is going through the "round" port in the plug. Next be certain that the red motor wire is on the positive terminal of the motor.  This terminal is marked in red and with a "+" sign.  If this is all in order then move on the the other possibilities I mention below.

To check for a jammed GB, open the upper receiver and look at the position of the piston.  If it is in the rear or locked position, or in between cycles, it may very well be jammed. This can occur with any number of parts failures including but not limited to:
  • Broken piston
  • Broken gears
  • Blown barrings
  • Foreign body in the drive train
Another cause can be a weak, undercharged, or damaged battery.  In this case the battery can not deliver enough power to cycle this piston.

Lastly, the motor brushes could be gunked  up an not allowing enough current to the motor.
I know I posed some of this before, but I though more detail might be helpful.

In all the cases above, you should hear the motor try to engage and give a "click, click" noise with each trigger pull.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

PS. One last thought, if the motor height ins not properly adjusted so that the motor is going to far into the handle it will cause the gearbox to seize.  This is caused by the motor height screw being to far or the motor wires pushing the motor too far down into the handle.  It's an easy fix though and the seize should be temporary and resolved with proper motor height adjustment.

Please keep us posted.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#8 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

    What's a Warranty?

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!
  • Country:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Jump on the "helpdesk" and create an account.  After logging in fill out a repair ticket with all info requested.  KWA will send you instructions on what to do and you will receive a RMA number.  Then you just follow the instructions given and send to KWA.

#9 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

 niko_gpsy, on 18 July 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Jump on the "helpdesk" and create an account.  After logging in fill out a repair ticket with all info requested.  KWA will send you instructions on what to do and you will receive a RMA number.  Then you just follow the instructions given and send to KWA.
Ditto.

#10 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks again. The help center link is broken; takes you to a 404 page.

#11 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

 Heathrow, on 19 July 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Thanks again. The help center link is broken; takes you to a 404 page.
Here you go: http://kwausa.com/support/

#12 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. I did end up taking the gearbox apart and this is what I saw. I am in fact right in the middle of messing with it so let me know if you can spot the problem. Seems the spring was wound back and stuck...Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374438444.610446.jpg   162.97K   11 downloads

#13 gcw360

gcw360

    Supreme Guru

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography
  • Country:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Please pull the piston out so we can see the piston head and show the cylinder assembly.  There is something funky going on with the cylinder/piston.  The sector gear doesn't look like it's engaging the piston yet it is back.  that's odd...unless I'm just misreading the photo.

#14 Heathrow

Heathrow

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Country:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

So again, I would like to thank you guys for helping out. I took it apart, put it all together again and it still was jammy. Then I took out the bottom plate of the grip and just held the motor with my fingers and it worked! So I put the bottom plate in but really conservatively screwed in and now it shoots. For the first time! It is magical. I have had this gun for 4 months without ever firing off one shot. So again thanks!

When I took it apart I found one little foam bit from the box it came with, inside the piston thingie. Not sure if that could have caused it to jam?



 gcw360, on 21 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Please pull the piston out so we can see the piston head and show the cylinder assembly.  There is something funky going on with the cylinder/piston.  The sector gear doesn't look like it's engaging the piston yet it is back.  that's odd...unless I'm just misreading the photo.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#15 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

    What's a Warranty?

  • Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!
  • Country:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

The bit of styrofoam will not cause the gear box to seize so I don't think that is it.  
And sometimes for no good reason a complete disassembly and reassembly resolves issues.  I don't know what it is...................it could be KWA gremlins. :shiftyninja:




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users