Magazine gas release valve slides off...is it common?

KRISS MAGAZINE VALVE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kerberos

Kerberos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Acting, Aviation, Designing, Watches, Swords, Samurai, Armors, Military gear, and shooting guns at the ranges.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

New user on here, nice to join you all!

I was inspecting recently on the magazine gas release valve for the KRISS and slowly found out the valve head was sliding off from the shaft (the valve head seemed to protrude more). One day when I was test firing, the top head, spring, and washer fell off. The shaft of the valve was not snapped as I checked another forum user on arniesairsoft who had his snapped.

I'm not sure if this is a common thing but I notice the valve head is only secured to the valve shaft by friction (shaft has 2 neck cuts and valve head is a smooth hole) and I see this as a faulty design. Correct me if I'm wrong here if my shaft is broken but I've compared a lot of stock valves to mines.

How are your magazine gas release valves holding up? Are they slightly protruding?
I will be buying a new valve shortly but I wanted to see if this is a common thing. Thanks for your help guys.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostKerberos, on 10 September 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

New user on here, nice to join you all!

I was inspecting recently on the magazine gas release valve for the KRISS and slowly found out the valve head was sliding off from the shaft (the valve head seemed to protrude more). One day when I was test firing, the top head, spring, and washer fell off. The shaft of the valve was not snapped as I checked another forum user on arniesairsoft who had his snapped.

I'm not sure if this is a common thing but I notice the valve head is only secured to the valve shaft by friction (shaft has 2 neck cuts and valve head is a smooth hole) and I see this as a faulty design. Correct me if I'm wrong here if my shaft is broken but I've compared a lot of stock valves to mines.

How are your magazine gas release valves holding up? Are they slightly protruding?
I will be buying a new valve shortly but I wanted to see if this is a common thing. Thanks for your help guys.
Any chance of posting a picture?  I've heard of release valves breaking but it is not at all a common occurrence. It's rare in fact based on my personal experience.

#3 Kerberos

Kerberos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Acting, Aviation, Designing, Watches, Swords, Samurai, Armors, Military gear, and shooting guns at the ranges.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for your reply gcw360.

I will post a picture of the valve after I finish work. Ironcially, that valve or magazine has been used only 3 times for a test shoot (only shot 80BBs exactly) since it was bought and was not used in any games or any abuse *(mag was never dropped or modified). It sure sounds to me like a lemon at this point, but if any of you guys can take a picture of your magazine valve thats been used for awhile that can help me see the difference better. I'll upload the picture later the night.

Thanks again.

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostKerberos, on 10 September 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Thanks for your reply gcw360.

I will post a picture of the valve after I finish work. Ironcially, that valve or magazine has been used only 3 times for a test shoot (only shot 80BBs exactly) since it was bought and was not used in any games or any abuse *(mag was never dropped or modified). It sure sounds to me like a lemon at this point, but if any of you guys can take a picture of your magazine valve thats been used for awhile that can help me see the difference better. I'll upload the picture later the night.

Thanks again.
If this is a new mag, fewer that 45 days old, and you have the receipt it can be repaired under warranty.  Something to consider.

#5 Kerberos

Kerberos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

View Postgcw360, on 10 September 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

If this is a new mag, fewer that 45 days old, and you have the receipt it can be repaired under warranty.  Something to consider.

Thanks for your reply again gcw360. The magazine came with the gun and has passed warranty too. I will be able to work on the magazine after I buy the valve and valve key. Here is the pictures I took. Perhaps it will raise awareness of the flaw maybe? Attached File  Kriss Magazine Release valve.jpg   103.72K   31 downloads

Just to add this, if you reassemble the valve striker head, spring and washer, it will end up like middle picture with the gas valve protruding out. It will stay in  due to friction but once the valve knocker hammer strikes the gas release valve it will knock the valve off.  So it cannot be remedied at this point.

Edited by Kerberos, 11 September 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostKerberos, on 11 September 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply again gcw360. The magazine came with the gun and has passed warranty too. I will be able to work on the magazine after I buy the valve and valve key. Here is the pictures I took. Perhaps it will raise awareness of the flaw maybe? Attachment Kriss Magazine Release valve.jpg

Just to add this, if you reassemble the valve striker head, spring and washer, it will end up like middle picture with the gas valve protruding out. It will stay in  due to friction but once the valve knocker hammer strikes the gas release valve it will knock the valve off.  So it cannot be remedied at this point.
Thank you for posting, Again, it's rare, but it clearly happens.  Once you have a valve key, and new valve, it will be an easy fix.

#7 Kerberos

Kerberos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postgcw360, on 11 September 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Thank you for posting, Again, it's rare, but it clearly happens.  Once you have a valve key, and new valve, it will be an easy fix.

Cetainly. I will be ordering the part from the Proshop later the day. It just seemed odd this happend. This was the 2nd batch of Kriss Vectors if that can be any indications of the flaw. It is a nice gun and I do enjoy it, however I hope this is just one of those lemons.

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostKerberos, on 11 September 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Cetainly. I will be ordering the part from the Proshop later the day. It just seemed odd this happend. This was the 2nd batch of Kriss Vectors if that can be any indications of the flaw. It is a nice gun and I do enjoy it, however I hope this is just one of those lemons.
Has this happened to you before with a Vector mag?

#9 Kerberos

Kerberos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postgcw360, on 11 September 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Has this happened to you before with a Vector mag?

This is the first time it ever happened on a Vector Magazine I own.  To be very honest if there was a way to permanetly secure the valve head to the shaft it will work because thats the only fault to it. I wish it was designed differently with like a roll pin on the X axis connecting the shaft and the head together so its secure...Well if I did designed the nozzle I would've done it that way. :D

#10 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

maybe you should start designing parts....really, could be a future in it for you.

#11 Kerberos

Kerberos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Postgcw360, on 12 September 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

maybe you should start designing parts....really, could be a future in it for you.

Well ironically I am working on designing rails/accessory parts for real guns, but I'm not sure about airsoft yet to really make a difference. Maybe someone else can pick up on that idea or perhaps KWA/KSC engineering dept can start examining reinforced gas release valves. I do also notice that shaft is thin and how some people had thiers snap. It can be redesigned to be more durable.

#12 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have actually seen that happen on one of my ATP magazines after about 500 rounds. It might be just a bad part but please keep us posted.  I have not shot that many rounds through my 8 vector mags so I will let you know if I start noticing this type of damage.

#13 imarziali

imarziali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

This happened to me too. Seems like a common problem.

#14 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

View Postimarziali, on 04 July 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

This happened to me too. Seems like a common problem.
I've hear of 2 in all the mags that have been released.  Not common and easily fixed with a new valve.  KWA will cover it under warranty if you are within 45 days of purchase from an authorized dealer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users