16 replies to this topic

#1 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Well, I decided that I should learn how to take not only the bolt, but the barrel/hop-up out as well. I've successfully, and safely done so -- with one exception: the trigger!

I used the brief instructions found at a review on redwolf airsoft, here: http://www.redwolfai...il?reviewID=234

It talks about extracting the screws on the bolt release and fire-selector, and taking them off, and then tapping out the trigger bar. This was all simple enough. However, the site included no instructions for taking the trigger out, or putting it back in. In fact, it didn't even mention doing so. However, obviously, with the trigger still in, the lower set of internals cannot be removed. So, with the trigger bar removed, and after much fiddling and wiggling (about 30 minutes worth!) I finally figured out how to take the trigger out.

My problem: putting the trigger back in now!
In short -- it cannot be inserted from any angle, except wayyy forward (the opposite way that you pull the trigger). From this point, the trigger can be lined up with the trigger bar and the bar inserted, but the trigger cannot be pulled back to it's normal position (unless I am just being too cautious to pull it back hard enough.)

This is all rather difficult to explain. If needed, I suppose I can take some pictures some time. But, for now, could someone explain how to put the trigger back into position in order for the trigger bar to be inserted?

PS.  I have a feeling it has to do with moving the lower set of internals in/out/up/down, and inserting it at the right time, at the right angle, and then pushing it in the right way, but I may be completely off (and can't seem to get it to work, at any rate).

#2 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

You're going to need a soda or something, this is gonna take a bit.

The internal box needs to be pushed into the receiver as far as possible, then you need to do some magic angular work by facing the trigger in the farthest angle up as possible, and slowly angle it down to catch the trigger spring.  Once the spring is caught, you have to pull the trigger back towards the grip and up into the assembly.  

This is when a friend will come in handy.  Use a punch or something similar to hold it into place when you're ready to drive the pin back through.  

If the trigger wont pull (usually because the safety will catch on the corner of the receiver) You need to take the trigger out and start all over again.

#3 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thanks! I finally got it back in, and everything back together. Good as new!

On a side note, for anyone else doing this: put the fire selector and bolt-release back in first. This keeps the lower internals in place, and takes pressure off of the trigger bar, making things a lot easier.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, the fire-selector was probably on safe when I took the fireselector off. That was likely my problem, heh!

Edited by Hibiki, 24 December 2009 - 06:30 PM.

#4 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

Well, I opened it up and extracted the lower set of internals (that includes the hopup/barrel/trigger/fireselector/etc.) As far as I could tell, I put everything back in correctly (except for, perhaps, the trigger, but I'll get to that later).

Ever since reassembling it, I've noticed some very odd things about the gun:
1) On semi-auto, the gun will occasionally fire full auto bursts. This usually happens after the mag has cooled down some.
2) Range, accuracy and general velocity doesn't seem to be what it used to.
3) When you are very low on gas, usually what happens is the bolt opens back half way, and lets out the remaining gas, right? Earlier today, that's not what it did. In fact, it kept cycling until BB's were literally just rolling out of the barrel!

For now, I have two theories as to what might be wrong. Most likely, I installed the trigger incorrectly. Here's what I did:
Instead of angling the trigger up/out (away from the way you would pull it), inserting the trigger bar, and then pulling the trigger down into position as I (now) hear you are supposed to do, I somehow wiggled it into it's normal position, kept it there, and then used a tool to push the trigger spring back up into where it's supposed to be. The trigger pull and everything feels correct, but this may very well be the problem.

The other likely possibility:
When I took out the lower set of internals, a "bar" (more like a flat plate, that appears to have something to do with the fire selector) fell out. I didn't get a good look as to how it was positioned before it fell out, but I put it back the only way it seems to go. Also, it kind of creates an axis in the middle, and there are two tabs that go up and down (which it pushes to select firing mode, I assume). Now, I clicked one of the tabs up and down a few times. I presume I put it back into the position I found it, but perhaps not?

I've taken down and done minor repairs on GBB pistols before, and was therefore not too worried about taking my MP7 apart. It appears my confidence wasn't very well founded, however =/

For now, should I just try taking it back down, and reinstalling the trigger as described (by Spiggy :-) in the other thread?  Or is the problem likely something entirely different?

Edited by Hibiki, 25 December 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#5 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Wait, when do I insert the trigger bar?  Do I insert it when I put the trigger in at the farthest up angle, and then pull the trigger back with the bar inserted, or do I do this without the bar until it is in the correct position?

Also, what is the fireselector on when you do this? Safe? Semi? Auto?

I've taken it apart again, in attempt to "correctly" install the trigger, seeing as odd problems have started occurring since I reinstalled it the first time (see my other thread for details...)

I think I'll just leave it be until I get some advice...

Edited by Hibiki, 25 December 2009 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

there's no trick, as long as you didn't disassemble the internals and take them out of their correct settings, you can rebuild it without problems.  

However, seems like you reconfigured the settings, which means you will need to find the correct settings again.

I'm going to merge your threads so we can keep it in one story

#7 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

Thanks -- I should have left it as one thread to begin with.

Well, I put it back together again, and it seems slightly better, but not entirely. It still occasionally shoots full on semi-auto. When I have time, I'll open it up again and take some good photos of the lower set of internals.

On an up note, I learned how to get the trigger back in correctly! (With the same results, but slightly easier =)

Edited by Hibiki, 26 December 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#8 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

I spent some time last night taking a MP7 apart trying to replicate your problem.  I may have found it.

Give some attention to the disconnector/interrupter inside the hammer assembly, maybe one is out of whack or the spring is stuck.  That might lead to faulty firing.

Those are #59 & 60, plus 82&89 and 85&86 on the umarex parts diagram guide.

#9 Hibiki

Hibiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostSpiggy, on 28 December 2009 - 11:54 AM, said:

I spent some time last night taking a MP7 apart trying to replicate your problem.  I may have found it.

Give some attention to the disconnector/interrupter inside the hammer assembly, maybe one is out of whack or the spring is stuck.  That might lead to faulty firing.

Those are #59 & 60, plus 82&89 and 85&86 on the umarex parts diagram guide.

Thanks, Spiggy!

I apologize for such a late reply.  I've been extremely busy the past month, and as a result fixing my gun has kind of been on the back-burner.  However, I think I've found the problem!  It appears to be just as you speculated.  I was sweeping today, when I found a small spring on the floor.  It looks identical to part #60 on the diagram.  I'm guessing it fell/flew out without my noticing when I first took the gun apart, because when I did so, I had it turned on it's side and the loose "fire-selector plate," along with, I assume, this part (which I didn't notice) fell out.  I suppose it's just a matter of figuring out where it goes, now (it's a bit hard to tell from the diagram).

I'll take some detailed pictures of everything and edit them into this post tomorrow, or possibly the day after.

Edited by Hibiki, 28 January 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#10 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

No Prob!  We're still geared from SHOT Show and trying to catch up with our missing weak

#11 Vamp2269

Vamp2269

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Gaming, Model Rocketry, Holloween.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

why fully disasemble the gun anyway for the most part all the servicing the gun needs can be done just by removing the bolt

#12 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:57 AM

Instead of starting a new topic I decided to just ask the question here because of its relevancy. I'm having the problem of the gun cycling fine but the bb's just falling out the barrel. I went to take the gun apart to look at the hop-up but I couldn't get the fire selector out. There looks like there's a pin in it that doesn't seem to want to budge and i don't want to force it. How do I remove the fire selector without breaking the gun??? Is there a short disassembly/assembly diagram/video that anyone knows of (besides Redwolf)? thankx.

#13 tiger

tiger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

View Postjotohomomoto, on 20 March 2010 - 04:57 AM, said:

Instead of starting a new topic I decided to just ask the question here because of its relevancy. I'm having the problem of the gun cycling fine but the bb's just falling out the barrel. I went to take the gun apart to look at the hop-up but I couldn't get the fire selector out. There looks like there's a pin in it that doesn't seem to want to budge and i don't want to force it. How do I remove the fire selector without breaking the gun??? Is there a short disassembly/assembly diagram/video that anyone knows of (besides Redwolf)? thankx.

There is a VERY VERY SMALL allen screw at the top of the right selector switch near the ejection port.

#14 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

View Posttiger, on 20 March 2010 - 08:05 AM, said:

There is a VERY VERY SMALL allen screw at the top of the right selector switch near the ejection port.
Ahhhh, when you put it THAT way, I see it! WOW, that is a small screw...I don't even own an allen wrench that small. I'm going to have to make a trip the hardware store, or am I going to have to get the allen wrench from some other specialized store?

#15 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

you can buy it from us, or go to McMaster and pay $10 shipping on a $1 part  It should be a 1mm allen

#16 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

View PostSpiggy, on 22 March 2010 - 03:14 PM, said:

you can buy it from us, or go to McMaster and pay $10 shipping on a $1 part  It should be a 1mm allen
cool, I suppose I should look in the ProShop? Are there any specialty retail shops that might stock small allen wrenches besides Home Depot (which I've checked)? That allen nut on the fire-selector just looks so hopelessly small...after I get that fire-selector nut, the bolt release and the trigger out; the whole front inner assembly should just slide out?

NOTE: when I aborted my disassembly attempt and tried to put the trigger back in, I had the same above problems. My spring was bent from incorrectly trying to force the trigger in and had to straighten it by pulling on it with pliers. I'm only noting this because I see this "bent apring problem" as a possible common issue that may arise when trying to put the trigger back in and is easily remedied. BTW, I learned this by much trial and error and the pressure that I might have to skirmish with just my pistol! :innocent:

EDIT: I just looked in the KWA ProShop and assume that the allen wrench you're talking about is the 0.89mm (#PT9999-U510)? Its currently sold out, soooooooo...

Edited by jotohomomoto, 23 March 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#17 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Phone it in, or look up McMaster-Carr's catalog

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users