• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gingerninjaperson

Gingerninjaperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

I got a KM4 for Christmas last year (First Airsoft gun) and have noticed a decrease in the hopup preformence. I've been using Elite Force 0.25 BBs. I haven't used any silicon oil anywhere, and I've only been cleaning the inner barrel (With the hopup turned off) with water. I've only been to ~5 games so far, however two of them were relatively big OPs. It seems that turning the hopup on or off doesn't make a major difference, and I can only shoot ~50 feet accurately. Are there any suggestions on what to do? Also, are there any good guides for disassembling a KM4? I'm sure there are many out there, just wanted to see if there were any good guides that you guys recommended. Thanks for the help!

#2 choochoo

choochoo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

^^^are you saying that you've been cleaning the inner barrel with water without taking the inner barrel out of the gun?

#3 Gingerninjaperson

Gingerninjaperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Yes, is that bad? I've been using wet paper towels on the cleaning rod, doing that until the paper towel comes back clean, and then doing it with dry paper towels until it is fully dried. I'm sure removing the inner barrel to clean would be a bit more effective, but is cleaning it the way I've been doing it harming my gun? I looked at many other places and they said it was fine. Thanks!

#4 JesseHammil

JesseHammil

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostGingerninjaperson, on 03 July 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Yes, is that bad? I've been using wet paper towels on the cleaning rod, doing that until the paper towel comes back clean, and then doing it with dry paper towels until it is fully dried. I'm sure removing the inner barrel to clean would be a bit more effective, but is cleaning it the way I've been doing it harming my gun? I looked at many other places and they said it was fine. Thanks!

O.O  Always. always, always remove the inner barrel from the gun before cleaning it!  Also, don't use paper towels. Use a cotton tshirt cut into patches or something similar.

First remove the inner barrel, disassemble the hop up and remove the bucking and clean everything thoroughly. Reassemble making sure that that the bucking is seated properly on the barrel and that you get the nub back in the right spot. check it by dialing the hop on and look through the barrel, the two fins should be protruding down into the barrel evenly. Try that as see if anything changes..

#5 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

The best and most convenient material I have been using are gun barrel cleaning patches.  You can find them at walmart and etc.  They are precut square patches and come in a big bag.  I bought my replacement bag about a year ago and still have more than half left.  
Paper towels are ok to use if you have no other choice but it can scratch the inner barrel when used dry and also leave lint/fiber inside of the barrel (depending on the quality of the paper towel).

#6 Gingerninjaperson

Gingerninjaperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

Sounds complicated :P I'll look for some tutorials and try that, thanks for the help guys!

#7 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Here is an epic thread that will help you out: http://www.kwausa.co...?showtopic=4787

Note: You can clean you barrel without removing the hop-up so long as:
  • The hop-up is off

• You stop the rod before the hop-up chamber
This is easy if you have removed the inner barrel from the gun.

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

My first airsoft was a KWA KM4-CQB.  There is so much grease in the gearbox that the bucking soon became soaked, swollen, and inefficient.  Easily cured by a complete cleaning of the hopup an soaking the bucking in a very mind solution of dishWASHing (not dishWASHER) solution.

.22 caliber/5.56mm cleaning patches are pefect.

I've tried aftermarket buckings but the KWA give me the most reliable performance.

Several small parts to lose so find one of the Youtube videos on the process.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 05 July 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#9 Gingerninjaperson

Gingerninjaperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for all the tips! I'm a bit afraid of taking apart the hop up, as I don't want to mess anything up or break something, as I've never done it before. :/
Cleaning the barrel seemed to improve performance a lot. I can hit a man sized target at around 150 feet pretty accurately. While this isn't the largest range I could be getting, I feel as if my "bad aim" and general newness to airsoft rifles is causing range to drop, basically I'm not aiming accurately enough. Thanks for all the help and tips, I'll be sure to use them in the future! :D

Edited by Gingerninjaperson, 08 July 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#10 JesseHammil

JesseHammil

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

The hop up can seem hard at first, but it's easier than you think. Take your time it will be okay.

#11 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Hop up maintenance is easy.  You need to be proficient in cleanng.  Take your time.  I do this in my office, not (messy) work room.  Clean white towel is a good mat.

After cleaning bench rest the gun to determing inherent accuracy.  Rest it on sandbags (which I'll bet none of us have) or something equally stable.    50 feet is a good starting rang.  Hop up Off.  Add one (1) click mark at a time (BBs are cheap).  Different mass BBs make a difference.  My KM4-CQB likes 0.28g BBs (Elite Force biodegradeable).  This will eliminate you from the accuracy matrix.

-- Chuck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users