• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RayALLDay

RayALLDay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

I picked up a KMP9 on Saturday, and couldn't leave it alone.  After firing off roughly 2k rounds, I had to make a minor change.  This replica is loud to begin with, and I knew I could make it louder.  and wow, is it LOUD.

I machined a piece of 1.25" 6061 aluminum stock for a nice fit in to the barrel block, then marked and drilled the edges 180 degrees opposite each other for the roll pins that hold the outer barrel in to place.

Posted Image

Then I began to open up the muzzle end and eventually work it in to a conical bell shape..

Posted Image

Here is a quick shot of the final result

Posted Image

And let me tell you, I tried it tonight in the garage after a 1am finish, and this thing is LOUD.  I do not play airsoft, I only have several replicas for plinking on days when I don't feel like making a day of going to the range.  But it is without doubt the loudest I have heard in my limited airsoft experience.  

Now, lets just hope no issues come up with my now two day old gun..or I will be fixing it at my expense. I am sure this would be enough to void warranty ;)

-Ray

#2 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

This is very creative. I love making guns loud. Thats why I bought a Madbull Amplifier for my SR10, and il probably buy another one for my LM4.
You should think about mass producing and selling yours...

#3 apacifico3

apacifico3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Airsoft, Sports

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Nice! If only I had access to a mill...

#4 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

Wow that's awesome stuff Ray. Really creative and the turnout looks really cool. Do you have a microphone to record the dB levels of the gun without the amplifier, and with the amplifier? Those results would be very interesting for me.

#5 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

Very nice work.  Looks beautiful!!

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nice job!

#7 RayALLDay

RayALLDay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postaaps59, on 07 May 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

This is very creative. I love making guns loud. Thats why I bought a Madbull Amplifier for my SR10, and il probably buy another one for my LM4.
You should think about mass producing and selling yours...

I have never seen the madbull amplifier, I'll have to look in to their design.  Mass production is not an option, I am not working on a CNC lathe.  The cost would be too high for most people, since they would require too much time to produce.  

View Postapacifico3, on 07 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

Nice! If only I had access to a mill...

Actually, cylindrical work pieces are turned on a lathe rather than a mill.  If you get in to machine work, remember one thing: caliper gauges as well as well ground tooling is a must.  

View PostOutlaw1995, on 07 May 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Wow that's awesome stuff Ray. Really creative and the turnout looks really cool. Do you have a microphone to record the dB levels of the gun without the amplifier, and with the amplifier? Those results would be very interesting for me.

Unfortunately, no microphone, and I really have no ambition to put the old outer barrel back on.

View Postniko_gpsy, on 07 May 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Very nice work.  Looks beautiful!!

Thank you.

View Postgcw360, on 07 May 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Nice job!

Thank you.  Maybe I can get KWA to send me a spare barrel block so I can begin on another one.  The idea I have in mind would put my replica out of commission for a few days.  I'd like to machine a long tbb to fit the kmp9, and make a much longer outer barrel to conceal it.

Now, I should really read up on exactly where these seals are that require regular oiling; don't need this one ending up performing as poor as the M11.  I have cleaned and oiled all metal to metal sliding and contact (any high friction areas) with 30wt silicone shock oil.  Haven't touched the main seal (in the piston, correct)?  Would I be best to use a light 1.5wt silicone on the pneumatic seals rather than a heavier lubricant such as what is used on the frictional surfaces?  Would anyone advise against using a heavier lube such as a lithium grease used in the firearms?  They are not petroleum based and I prefer them because they break down much slower and don't collect much debris.

Edited by RayALLDay, 07 May 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

I wouldn't recommend Lithium grease on any airsoft gun anymore GBB or AEG.  For your MP9 the oil that came with the gun works great on all the places that need lubrication.  30wt shock oil should be fine also and this includes the cylinder and piston seal.  Now, there are some who are going for lighter oils but it isn't necessary. Especially with the MP9.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users